• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Peace of Mind or Life As You Know It?

Peace of Mind or Life As You Know It?

• Total voters

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Would you give up your life as you know it to have peace of mind?

Can you be more descriptive with what you mean?

Can you be more descriptive with what you mean?

Like if you have a life you hate and could pick peace of mind. Why would you not? Unless you have kids? Why would anybody pick their everyday life over having a new one with peace of mind?

Like if you have a life you hate and could pick peace of mind. Why would you not? Unless you have kids? Why would anybody pick their everyday life over having a new one with peace of mind?

If you have a life that you hate... I can see that. What if you have a life that you like?

It depends.

I already have peace of mind. Life can be difficult, yes... but I don't usually let it get to me, and when I do my perturbation is rarely more than temporary.

Sometimes you do have to sacrifice some things for the sake of peace of mind. I had a supervisory job where I was pressured to compromise some of my core principles. I struggled with this until one night I could not sleep... until I finally decided that my position was not worth compromising core principles for. I quit that position the next day, and I am a much happier man for it, even though it cost me some money.

When I was in my early 20's, there were a couple of friends I had to set aside for similar reasons. I had grown up and changed and they hadn't and didn't want to... and for my own peace of mind and principles I had to let them go.

So, in a sense it depends on what you mean, what the exact circumstances are. Are you considering joining a monastic order? Some find it to be a very rewarding life.

If you have a life that you hate... I can see that. What if you have a life that you like?

Then I would say stick with the life you like and never have peace of mind. But do you really wanna DIE never having it? I don't.

Then I would say stick with the life you like and never have peace of mind. But do you really wanna DIE never having it? I don't.

But if I like my life, I already have peace of mind. The two go together.

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by "peace of mind".

Accepting that life is difficult and learning how to deal with or change those difficulties is peace of mind.

If you had a life with no challenges, then boredom would create its own challenges.

It almost sounds like a "do you agree that ignorance is bliss" type of question...in which case I would say no.

It seems like you are confused. Peace of mind is something attained. If you dislike your current life and overall mindset, strive diligently toward harmony and a better subjective existence. To echo your words, "why would you not?".

I'd like my life as I know it with multiple additions, "peace of mind" (as defined by myself) being one of them.

Although I already have it to an extent.

My son is 9 and the smallest kid on his basketball team. He sure isn't the most athletic, there are other kids faster, better dribblers, better shooters and who handle the ball more. He is the hardest working, though, and is the team pest. During their last game of the season they were playing their neighborhood rivals. They were behind by 4 going into the last period, and I noticed he got this look in his eyes that I had never seen before. During that period, he stole the ball four times, had two assists to other teammates, drew a charging foul against the best kid on the other team -- one about 8 inches taller than he -- and they ended up winning by 4. Even though he didn't score in the period, his teammates all came up to him after the game and high fived him -- this for the little kid who was just being a pest.

I wouldn't trade watching that for ANYTHING.

Well, technically you don't have to give up anything to have peace of mind, so I wouldn't.

I don't think it's honest if you 100% hate your life because there are always good things going on. It all depends on your perspective. If you hate life completely, then your perspective needs to change, and not the circumstances.

Would you give up your life as you know it to have peace of mind?

Yes. I would give up anything for it.
But peace of mind isn't in the cards for me. Not in this lifetime.
I've come to terms with that.

Yes. I would give up anything for it.
But peace of mind isn't in the cards for me. Not in this lifetime.
I've come to terms with that.

I feel same way and my mental health does not help in reguards to peace of mind either. Oh well. :(

I feel same way and my mental health does not help in reguards to peace of mind either. Oh well. :(

Been there, done that.;) It may come about as you age and form your character traits more solidly. Life is a learning experience, and if you allow it to take you on unexpected rough rides, without panicking and trying to avoid the hard times, peace of mind will come to you one day. It's the difficult things in life that form who we are. They develop your character, make you more understanding and tolerant of the imperfections of others (and especially those of yourself), and make you a genuinely loving human.

Been there, done that.;) It may come about as you age and form your character traits more solidly. Life is a learning experience, and if you allow it to take you on unexpected rough rides, without panicking and trying to avoid the hard times, peace of mind will come to you one day. It's the difficult things in life that form who we are. They develop your character, make you more understanding and tolerant of the imperfections of others (and especially those of yourself), and make you a genuinely loving human.

I agree. Adversity builds strength and compassion, though it doesn't feel that way at first.

I agree. Adversity builds strength and compassion, though it doesn't feel that way at first.

Yes. At first it just ticked me off.:) To me, the secret of happiness is to first learn how to love and accept yourself- just the way you are, and not striving for perfection, and then is becomes easy to love others, which makes one become better naturally.

I already have peace of mind, without giving up my life as I know it. But, maybe if I lived in a country at war(for example), I would want to move to one which is not at war.

Back
Top Bottom