• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PC attack on the USS Soup. Salty Chief forced to walk the plank

Well there's one female CPO who grabs sailors clothing a little lower than the shirt when straightening out some sailor who doesn't want to go along with the program. She runs a pretty tight ship I'm told.

At one point I would have given anything for a female CPO to grab my gig line...

If Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of all its information, while confidently condemning your source as unreliable, that makes your situation even worse.

Wkipedia is acknowledeged to be generally as accurate as encyclopedias, and certainly more accurate than the individual websites that the seeker of information would have to trawl if Wikipedia didn't exist.

If you look at the writers who write the articles on Wiki they show their sources, those same websites you're referring to being not as accurate.

I would never use Wiki as a source when the topic is politics. Even Wiki has admitted that most of their contributors on political topics have a liberal bias.

Biographies of living individuals, many were written by that living individual.

Historical events, only use Wiki as a starting point for further research.

Wiki had a big problem with military topics and military historical events. To correct the problem they have brought on individuals who are qualified with these areas.

I wouldn't use Wiki as a source on how to rewire the electrical in your home or looking at what the national building codes are. And whatever you do, don't use Wiki as a source on how to perform your own vasectomy !!!

In twenty of thirty years Wikipedia may become a reliable source but not today. But Wiki is working at it.

At one point I would have given anything for a female CPO to grab my gig line...

My first experience with navy CPO's was in 69 on the USS Valley Forge if I remember correctly. I was with a NGF spot team that was TAD to BLT 1/26. When we first came aboard the company gunny warned all the Marines who have never been aboard a navy ship before about CPO's and who they were.

By the end of the first day aboard ship I had seen enough, these Chiefs were scary and reminded me of Marine Corps DI's. So from then on I always went out of my way avoiding Chiefs while aboard ships.

I would rather stand before the man than to be chewed out by a Navy Chief.

Last edited:
Well there's one female CPO who grabs sailors clothing a little lower than the shirt when straightening out some sailor who doesn't want to go along with the program. She runs a pretty tight ship I'm told.

"When you got'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

My first experience with navy CPO's was in 69 on the USS Valley Forge if I remember correctly. I was with a NGF spot team that was TAD to BLT 1/26. When we first came aboard the company gunny warned all the Marines who have never been aboard a navy ship before about CPO's and who they were.

By the end of the first day aboard ship I had seen enough, these Chiefs were scary and reminded me of Marine Corps DI's. So from then on I always went out of my way avoiding Chiefs while aboard ships.

I would rather stand before the man than to be chewed out by a Navy Chief.

What was scary was as a first class petty officer (E-6), I went up to the Command Master Chief - who was in line to be the next Fleet Master Chief (before he got shot down for being a bit too familiar with a female master chief) - and told him (albeit very politely) that he was out of line when he was chewing out a junior sailor who was about to go before the Captain for Non-Judicial Punishment, that there was no need for him to even mention the sailor's race when he was chewing the kid out. I had less than a year to go before retirement, but he could have made my life hell for the time I had left. But later, he stopped and thanked me, and told me I was right. Then I started breathing again.

Y'know, there's a whole lot here we don't know. There's nothing here about what gender or race of the sailor whose shirt he grabbed. There's also nothing about other things the CMC may have done - and I've seen a lot of CMC's get away with a lot of things. What's more, it's not like this CMC got 'fired' in the civilian sense - he almost certainly lost not one penny of pay. He simply lost his position.

I remember a carrier CMC - he was next in line for fleet CMC - who got fired for what he did on liberty (in Hobart, Tasmania, IIRC). The chief master-at-arms saw the CMC getting a lap dance from a female master chief where less senior personnel were present, and rightly blew the whistle. Sure, we can say that what people do off duty is their business, but the CMC was effectively in the direct chain of command of the female master chief - he would have had a direct effect on her career. So this was certainly out of line.

But the CMC was a popular person in the Chief's Mess - and so, because the CMAA blew the whistle, he was immediately ostracized by almost the entirety of the rest of the chiefs on board. So in my retirement ceremony I made sure to point out what this chief - whom I hadn't liked since forever - had done the right thing, that he'd shown courage to blow the whistle even though he had to know how it would affect him and his career. The others at my retirement ceremony didn't like hearing this, but I didn't care - it was the right thing to do.

So...I'm not going to pass judgment one way or another on CMC Helwick - we simply don't know the backstory.

Were you on the Lincoln? Because that story sounds really familiar.

Were you on the Lincoln? Because that story sounds really familiar.

Yes, I was - I was an MM1 in Security. Please, send me a private message - I don't want my name to be publicly known (had a bad experience on a religious forum because of it), but I'd be very happy to hear from my shipmates.

Back
Top Bottom