• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pbs

KansasMeg

Reaction score
I turn to PBS for my television news. I see it (The News Hour with Jim Lehrer especially) as being to-the-point and truthful. I'm surprised that there is so much talk about biased news outlets when, IMO, there is a clear alternative. Thoughts?

I enjoy PBS - and Jim Lehrer, overall I believe he tries to be very fair. News coverage should simply state what's going on, and I think Lehrer does a good job of that. I don't seen the same balance with NPR news - but that's another issue.

My favorite PBS show ever - Mr. Rogers.

edb19 said:
I enjoy PBS - and Jim Lehrer, overall I believe he tries to be very fair. News coverage should simply state what's going on, and I think Lehrer does a good job of that. I don't seen the same balance with NPR news - but that's another issue.

I still watch Mr Rogers with my 2 year old.
NPR has some snide commentators at times but PBS is all right.
PBS still shows Sesame Street and muppets are all right in my book.

edb19 said:

I only watch PBS for my news, but I always listen to Morning Edition on NPR. I don't know what you are talking about with the snide commentators. All I ever hear is news and when someone comes on to do an editorial (like every monday) I turn to my local shock jockey's. Very effective you should try it. If you don't like listening to it, turn it off or turn to another station until it is done.

I grew up with the classics, Reading Rainbow, Sessame Street, Mr. Rogers.

I watch shows like To the Contrary, which is balanced. If you haven't ever seen it, there is a moderator, and 2 groups. Republican, and Democrat. Both have two people, experts dealing with something on the topic for their party. The moderator is equally tough on both parties.

Jim has a good program running, I watch it when I can.

Andrew

I like PBS for historical documentaries. Here in northwest Ohio they had a show about the Blizzard of '77 - '78. I recalled the events as a child; but it was really cool to show my 12 year old what happened back then. Beyond that PBS is pretty much like a "B" movie. Discovery & the History channel are great for the same thing.

KansasMeg said:
I turn to PBS for my television news. I see it (The News Hour with Jim Lehrer especially) as being to-the-point and truthful. I'm surprised that there is so much talk about biased news outlets when, IMO, there is a clear alternative. Thoughts?
Watch their "In the classroom" and see their Recruitment for the DNC on school childern, you might think differently.

stsburns said:
Watch their "In the classroom" and see their Recruitment for the DNC on school childern, you might think differently.
Wow, yeah, you are nuts. I saw that why tutoring little kids and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it. Though to the RNC, something tiny is a HORRIBLE THING THAT MUST BE STOPPED!

stsburns said:
Stsburns,

Could you be be more specific? What was it that led you to believe "In the Classroom" has a DNC agenda?

ShamMol said:
Wow, yeah, you are nuts. I saw that why tutoring little kids and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Me Nuts please :roll:! I have watched 3 programs from my local PBS television station, and they all promote anti-war, anti-bush themes. One of them was an "Cable in the classroom" (Which is a state run campagn to teach kids) has stated that the war in Iraq is falling apart, and point the finger to Bush, which the DNC highly promotes!

Though to the RNC, something tiny is a HORRIBLE THING THAT MUST BE STOPPED!

And your somehow better? :confused: Yea tell it too the Judge!

Last edited:
KansasMeg said:
Stsburns,

Could you be be more specific? What was it that led you to believe "In the Classroom" has a DNC agenda?
First off I would like to thank you for not flamming :mrgreen: ! Second, "Cable in the classroom* " Which is supposed to be used and unilaterally to teach children, but it has been used to teach Anti-Iraq war, Anti-bush themes. But hey it doesnt suprise me, nope. Because I live in the home state of North Carolina, in which (John Edwards ) was my states representative. With John Edwards as my states Representative it gives him power to take over local media, either by bribary or already supports his ideals, which will suppress any other knowledge than what Edwards wants my state to think. So its no supprise if my local PBS station praises Hillory Clinton.

galenrox said:
Like it'd be unfair to teach kids about pollution, because that's a liberal bias, cause republicans hate air, etc.
I'm just saying my state should not fund it, period. Their are many lies people would like for you to believe about "Pollution." Such as "Rain Forests" are the main source oxygen in the world. Absolutely not true. An "Algea" which grows in the ocean supports most of the air we breathe not "Rain Forests". About Republicans hating air, you justkeep :spin:ing your propaganda, and good luck on the gullables.
Like it'd be unfair to teach kids about pollution
Where did pollution come from, I was talking about the war, but if you insist, I will play your game. First of all, no media group should have ties to any political agenda, whether Republican or Democrat, neither should abuse their power. Second, since when did I say "It's unfair". Finally just give it a rest, you have a better chance of getting killed in an automoblie accident, than you ever would die of suffication of breathing qoute "polluted" air. If your still complaining, just move to another part of the US where the air is less qoute "Polluted", I mean really, don't blame other people for problems you got yourself into!

stsburns said:
Because I live in the home state of North Carolina, in which (John Edwards ) was my states representative. With John Edwards as my states Representative it gives him power to take over local media, either by bribary or already supports his ideals, which will suppress any other knowledge than what Edwards wants my state to think.

You might have John Edwards, but you also have Mike Adams @ UNC-Wilmington. I love that guy :smile:

edb19 said:

You might have John Edwards, but you also have Mike Adams @ UNC-Wilmington. I love that guy :smile:
Good point, UNC is different than PBS. I just wanted to state that representatives run local news orgs. Thanks for looking on the bright side instead of flamming! :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom