• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pay-up time for Brawley: '87 rape-hoaxer finally shells out for slander

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Just $431,000 to go​

By MICHAEL GARTLAND
August 4, 2013

EXCLUSIVE

Twenty-five years after accusing an innocent man of rape, Tawana Brawley is finally paying for her lies.

Last week, 10 checks totaling $3,764.61 were delivered to ex-prosecutor Steven Pagones — the first payments Brawley has made since a court determined in 1998 that she defamed him with her vicious hoax.

A Virginia court this year ordered the money garnisheed from six months of Brawley’s wages as a nurse there.

She still owes Pagones $431,000 in damages. And she remains defiantly unapologetic.

“It’s a long time coming,” said Pagones, 52, who to this day is more interested in extracting a confession from Brawley than cash.

“Every week, she’ll think of me,” he told The Post. “And every week, she can think about how she has a way out — she can simply tell the truth.”

Brawley’s advisers in the infamous race-baiting case — the Rev. Al Sharpton, and attorneys C. Vernon Mason and Alton Maddox — have already paid, or are paying, their defamation debt. But Brawley, 41, had eluded punishment.
She’s now forced to pay Pagones $627 each month, possibly for the rest of her life. Under Virginia law, she can appeal the wage garnishment every six months.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
’87 rape hoaxer Tawana Brawley begins paying defamation damages 25 years later - NYPOST.com

Too bad they couldn't have done time...

Just $431,000 to go​

By MICHAEL GARTLAND
August 4, 2013

EXCLUSIVE

Twenty-five years after accusing an innocent man of rape, Tawana Brawley is finally paying for her lies.

Last week, 10 checks totaling $3,764.61 were delivered to ex-prosecutor Steven Pagones — the first payments Brawley has made since a court determined in 1998 that she defamed him with her vicious hoax.

A Virginia court this year ordered the money garnisheed from six months of Brawley’s wages as a nurse there.

She still owes Pagones $431,000 in damages. And she remains defiantly unapologetic.

“It’s a long time coming,” said Pagones, 52, who to this day is more interested in extracting a confession from Brawley than cash.

“Every week, she’ll think of me,” he told The Post. “And every week, she can think about how she has a way out — she can simply tell the truth.”

Brawley’s advisers in the infamous race-baiting case — the Rev. Al Sharpton, and attorneys C. Vernon Mason and Alton Maddox — have already paid, or are paying, their defamation debt. But Brawley, 41, had eluded punishment.
She’s now forced to pay Pagones $627 each month, possibly for the rest of her life. Under Virginia law, she can appeal the wage garnishment every six months.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
’87 rape hoaxer Tawana Brawley begins paying defamation damages 25 years later - NYPOST.com

Too bad they couldn't have done time...

Sorry mate, http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...7-rape-hoaxer-finally-shells-out-slander.html

This is kind of sad case about a young girl afraid of her step father's violence and the zealotry of some black leaders to seize an opportunity to create racial strife and make a name for themselves. This would never have gotten national attention if it weren't for Al Sharpton so I'm glad he was made to pay for defamation. But should a minor who was being advised to lie, not only by Al Sharpton and two black attorneys, but her mother as well?

Tawana Brawley rape allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is kind of sad case about a young girl afraid of her step father's violence and the zealotry of some black leaders to seize an opportunity to create racial strife and make a name for themselves. This would never have gotten national attention if it weren't for Al Sharpton so I'm glad he was made to pay for defamation. But should a minor who was being advised to lie, not only by Al Sharpton and two black attorneys, but her mother as well?

It's called being an accessory. Had the story ended at the beginning without the false accusations made by Sharpton and his fellow race baiters, I'm sure that Ms. Brawley and others would have been forgotten.

It's called being an accessory. Had the story ended at the beginning without the false accusations made by Sharpton and his fellow race baiters, I'm sure that Ms. Brawley and others would have been forgotten.

Sharpton and the others had to pay a hefty a fine or something, didn't they?

I just don't understand how they can make a 15 year old girl pay up.

Sharpton and the others had to pay a hefty a fine or something, didn't they?

I just don't understand how they can make a 15 year old girl pay up.

Then you should be investigating the law surrounding the issue.

Good. If a 15-year-old can be tried as an adult for taking the life of an innocent person, I think the same 15-year-old can be tried as an adult for almost completely ruining the life of an innocent person. I might feel differently if she had retracted and apologized, especially a long time ago, but the slimy selfish bitch can't even be bothered to do that today.

Like the OP says, if she tells the truth she doesn't have to pay, at least that is what I get from

Why do you feel any sympathy for this woman when she refuses to tell the truth?

I don't get it.... it has been proven that she was lying. what does she actually have to lose by telling the truth? it's not like she can get into any more trouble. even if she was doing some illegal **** while she was "missing" for those 4 days, unless she killed someone the statute of limitations has run out.

Then you should be investigating the law surrounding the issue.

Or maybe you should investigate the media hype surrounding the issue.

Like the OP says, if she tells the truth she doesn't have to pay, at least that is what I get from

Why do you feel any sympathy for this woman when she refuses to tell the truth?
Because I think she was a pawn.

Yes, it's pretty disgusting what Sharpton, Maddox and Mason did to her. Here's what should have happened....

"State law provides that if a child appears to have been sexually molested, then the Child Protective Services Agency is supposed to take jurisdiction and custody of that child. Now, Tawana Brawley was 15 at the time of the incident. If that had been done, as I proposed early on, the agency would have given her psychiatric attention and preserved evidence of rape, if there were evidence, and Mason and Maddox would have been deprived of their pawn."

Because I think she was a pawn.

Maybe she was but she isn't anymore. She is an adult and knows the difference between right and wrong.

Maybe she was but she isn't anymore. She is an adult and knows the difference between right and wrong.

She was a minor when it happened. Was it right that her name, address and semi nude photos of her in the hospital were released to the public? She never named any names or testified at trial, so all the accusations against specific individuals were likely made by Al Sharpton and the two lawyers. She was used by the media, the lawyers, Al Sharpton, elected officials, her parents and the entire black community for their own purpose and gain. She was a pawn.

The lawyer that sued for defamation didn't seem to suffer too much because he went on to become the state attorney general...largely due to his name recognition from the trial. He said the rape allegations broke up his first marriage....12 years after the fact. He made a lot of money off Al Sharpton and the other two. So really, how bad was it? 25 years later, the media is still lynching in her the press.

She was a minor when it happened. Was it right that her name, address and semi nude photos of her in the hospital were released to the public? She never named any names or testified at trial, so all the accusations against specific individuals were likely made by Al Sharpton and the two lawyers. She was used by the media, the lawyers, Al Sharpton, elected officials, her parents and the entire black community for their own purpose and gain. She was a pawn.

The lawyer that sued for defamation didn't seem to suffer too much because he went on to become the state attorney general...largely due to his name recognition from the trial. He said the rape allegations broke up his first marriage....12 years after the fact. He made a lot of money off Al Sharpton and the other two. So really, how bad was it? 25 years later, the media is still lynching in her the press.

I understand your point. But if you feel that she should face no consequences for what she did then because she was a minor, do you then also feel that if a minor is judged to have been assaulted he or she shouldn't receive monetary compensation since they are a minor?

I understand your point. But if you feel that she should face no consequences for what she did then because she was a minor, do you then also feel that if a minor is judged to have been assaulted he or she shouldn't receive monetary compensation since they are a minor?
Considering the violent abuse of the parents and then what she did to herself and then the humilation of the trial and the media and that lawyer keeping it alive for twenty five years...I think she's suffered enough. In fact, I'm surprised she hasn't killed herself.

The fact that she didn't identify or give any names suggests that she probably didn't intend for it to become the specatacle that it became. She most likely did it so she wouldn't get beaten up or murdered by her parents. I suspect they're the ones that probably made her keep her mouth shut because they were making money from fund raisers and donations for her cause. It's disgusting that Al Sharptons defamation penalty was paid for by his supporters. He wasn't hurt a bit for the damage he did...except he did lose a lot of credibility. But time passes and people forget and now he's back exploiting racial tensions again. Sooooo, perhaps this isn't so much about her as it is him and reminding people what he does for a living. In my opinion, he should pay for her penalties.

Last edited:
Considering the violent abuse of the parents and then what she did to herself and then the humilation of the trial and the media and that lawyer keeping it alive for twenty five years...I think she's suffered enough. In fact, I'm surprised she hasn't killed herself.

The fact that she didn't identify or give any names suggests that she probably didn't intend for it to become the specatacle that it became. She most likely did it so she wouldn't get beaten up or murdered by her parents. I suspect they're the ones that probably made her keep her mouth shut because they were making money from fund raisers and donations for her cause. It's disgusting that Al Sharptons defamation penalty was paid for by his supporters. He wasn't hurt a bit for the damage he did...except he did lose a lot of credibility. But time passes and people forget and now he's back exploiting racial tensions again. Sooooo, perhaps this isn't so much about her as it is him and reminding people what he does for a living.

Has she ever apologized for her crime?

Has she ever apologized for her crime?
For whatever reason she still contends that it happened. She still has to live in the black community....so perhaps she can't face the humilation of admitting to all those people who believed her and marched in the streets for her that it was a lie. And too, she'd have to admit to herself that she covered herself in feces and put herself in a garbage bag.

For whatever reason she still contends that it happened. She still has to live in the black community....so perhaps she can't face the humilation of admitting to all those people who believed her and marched in the streets for her that it was a lie. And too, she'd have to admit to herself that she covered herself in feces and put herself in a garbage bag.

So even now, as an adult, she continues the lie. Absolutely no need to feel pity for her then.

So even now, as an adult, she continues the lie. Absolutely no need to feel pity for her then.
I wouldn't expect any from you.

In the first place, he didn't make any money off the case since all the money so far has gone to pay his attorney bills. In the second place, all she has to do is admit her fault and apologize. He would be bound by his repeated publicly made promise to drop her liability or face a possible counter-suit.

Finally, while she was a "15 yo child" at the time she isn't any longer. She is just a stubborn woman who refuses to take ANY responsibility for her continued attempts to act the victim. While she may have been "victimized" by that band of demagogues, she certainly wasn't victimized by the man who won the slander lawsuit. An apology is owed for her continued part in trying to maintain the lie he and others raped her, as well as for her original support of the lie that got her sued in the first place.

I understand that happened back in '87.

What is keeping her from telling the truth about whaty happened to her now?

Why do youthink she has been a pawn all of her life.

Once she becomes an adult, she can make adult decisions and clear up this matter.

I understand that happened back in '87.

What is keeping her from telling the truth about whaty happened to her now?

Why do youthink she has been a pawn all of her life.

Once she becomes an adult, she can make adult decisions and clear up this matter.

maybe she's still afraid that her step-father will track her down and kill her for hanging out doing god knows what for 4 days 25 years ago......

That is a load of crap. She doesn't live in "the black community", she lives in the real world.

You can't make excuses for people that destroy other peoples lives by lieing and then refuse to make it right.

Back
Top Bottom