• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pay During Government Shutdown

Should Congress be paid if/when a shutdown occurs?

• Yes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters

Cameron

Politically Correct
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Should Congressmen be paid if/when Congress shuts down?

Senators say Congress, president should ‘feel the pain’ of a shutdown – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

The specter of a government shutdown has been hanging over the current debate on a government spending bill. The funding measure expires March 4th, and if the two parties can't come to an agreement on spending cuts before then, a short term measure to keep the government running would need to pass to avoid a government shutdown.
Members of Congress and the president fall under mandatory spending and their paychecks would not be affected in the case of a shutdown, according to Sens. Boxer and Casey. Under their proposal, that loophole would close. Additionally, the legislation would not allow back pay for lawmakers and the president for any days worked during a shutdown.
"If the government is forced to shut down, members of Congress and the president should be treated the same way as all other federal employees," said Sen. Boxer. "We should not be paid, and to take it one step further, we should not be paid retroactively once the government reopens."

No. In fact, congress shouldn't be paid until the government is not running a debt.

Yes, a government that cant do anything. At all. And immediate implementation of absolute anarchy.

6th Grade, bro. Civics.

I say, don't pay them, but only the ones that are shutting it down. You can't blame the ones that are trying to keep it going for the obtuseness of a few!

Yes, lets freeze their pay and then gawk when they ram some half-assed decision through just so they can be done.

They shouldn't be paid period.

Public service was never intended to be paid work.

They shouldn't be paid period.

Public service was never intended to be paid work.
So you want to make politics even MORE of a game for the rich?

So you want to make politics even MORE of a game for the rich?

Public service was not supposed to take up a considerable amount of time, so there would still be time for a regular paying job.

Public service was not supposed to take up a considerable amount of time, so there would still be time for a regular paying job.
That's great, in theory. I personally dont want people who are supposed to be making big decisions that effect my life to be worrying about a second job.

That's great, in theory. I personally dont want people who are supposed to be making big decisions that effect my life to be worrying about a second job.

They wouldn't be doing all that much, so...

My calendar reads 2011. What does yours read?

It is no longer the 1700's. It never will be again. Any system of government which does not pay a person a decent wage for serving in government will always be tilted in the heavy favor of the rich or of those in business. Such a system is inherently elitist and anti-democratic in the extreme.

My calendar reads 2011. What does yours read?

It is no longer the 1700's. It never will be again. Any system of government which does not pay a person a decent wage for serving in government will always be tilted in the heavy favor of the rich or of those in business. Such a system is inherently elitist and anti-democratic in the extreme.

How many in office are rich right now?

I say, take a vacation....let the entire FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN FOR A FULL YEAR, when they come back look at all the progress that is made in the private sector. I believe its like EGYPT its time for change at the top. Kick'em all out and start all over and follow the CONSTITUTION to the letter. In the meantime....MARSHALL LAW by the MILITARY.

Last edited:
How many in office are rich right now?

Unless 100% of them are, you have no effective point. I work for an elected official who makes a very middle class salary and did so before he was elected to his position. I work with elected officials on a daily basis and know very few who are rich. Almost all are normal, working people. This would be true of State legislatures all over this land. I am sure it apples to city positions and county positions also.

If the government shuts down, hundreds of thousands of government workers will be without a paycheck. Congress and the Whitehouse staff better damned well be among them.

Yes, lets freeze their pay and then gawk when they ram some half-assed decision through just so they can be done.

We don't have to freeze their pay, actually, since they work for the government, they won't be getting checks either, unless theirs come from a different place!

Back
Top Bottom