• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paula Deen's Really Southern Plantation Wedding

Why isn't someone suing Snoop Dogg? He says nigger 1000 times a day.....

But you wouldn't know a double standard if it hiked its leg and pissed in your Toms.

She's being sued because she and her brother ran a restaurant and are accused of sexual harassment and racial discrimination, both of which are illegal.

She's being sued because she and her brother ran a restaurant and are accused of sexual harassment and racial discrimination, both of which are illegal.

So she is guilty until proven innocent? ;)

Paula Deen is nothing but a con artist that tricks unsophisticated, pickup-trick-driving bubbas in the south into thinking the crap she puts together is fine dining. There are so many dumb billy bobs that travel miles to go to Lady and Sons to buy grocery store bought food it's astonishing. People like her make it impossible to find quality restaurants in the south because everyone thinks Olive Garden is fine dining and real restaurants don't stay in business.

Hard for you to find a place better to eat than IN & Out eh???

So she is guilty until proven innocent? ;)

Huh? Her racist comments where confirmed by her, herself during sworn deposition. She's suffering the consequence since she is a public figure and celebrity for her attitude. She has not been found guilty in court of what she's been accused of, but public opinion is based on self admitted facts. Her public turmoil surrounding her Food Network job and her public image is separate from her privately owned restaurant. So what are you asking?

So much for free speech. I myself don't use or condone the use of "nigger" but having this thing get so huge is ridiculous. Let her audience decide. If enough people are that offended and stop watching, her ratings will go down and she is gone. I am sick to death of everyone pissing in their pants over this stuff.

Huh? Her racist comments where confirmed by her, herself during sworn deposition. She's suffering the consequence since she is a public figure and celebrity for her attitude. She has not been found guilty in court of what she's been accused of, but public opinion is based on self admitted facts. Her public turmoil surrounding her Food Network job and her public image is separate from her privately owned restaurant. So what are you asking?

Oh please tell me you don't give a flying poo about the hosts on all those food network shows and what they do in real life.

I don't.

I don't care at all.

It's not like they're a moral compass for the youth or something. LOL. My God - just because someone's on TV doesn't mean much :roll: People are putting too much stock and value on what some random person says purely because their job involves broadcasting oil in a frying pan. What's next - Walmart's going to pull her pots and pans?

Just what has she admitted to other than having used the N-word long ago? Obama admitted to (past) illegal drug use yet he is still president and his position on SSM has "evolved". Please cite the "facts", that you are referring to, concerning her current attitude on N-word usage.

Oh please tell me you don't give a flying poo about the hosts on all those food network shows and what they do in real life.

I don't.

I don't care at all.

It's not like they're a moral compass for the youth or something. LOL. My God - just because someone's on TV doesn't mean much :roll: People are putting too much stock and value on what some random person says purely because their job involves broadcasting oil in a frying pan. What's next - Walmart's going to pull her pots and pans?

I'm saying that the Food Network has a right to fire or hire anyone, since they, as a company have an image they want projected to the public. They don't want her representing them, that's their right. I'm not sure how you are extrapolating the rest of your commentary.

Just what has she admitted to other than having used the N-word long ago? Obama admitted to (past) illegal drug use yet he is still president and his position on SSM has "evolved". Please cite the "facts", that you are referring to, concerning her current attitude on N-word usage.

Food Network is a private corporation who has the right to determine who represents their company. Obama has nothing to do with this situation.

Here is a link to the actual deposition: http://www.npr.org/assets/blogs/codeswitch/pauladeentestimony.pdf

You can read all of what she had to say, in context.

Last edited:

She admits that her brother used the n-word at her restaurants, and that it wasn't "long ago"

She said she spoke to him about it, but didn't specify what she said.

I find it amazing that the black conservatives on this site are defending Paula Deen wanting to hire "niggers" to serve at her brother wedding so it would look truly "plantation style". You could not make this stuff up, I say!

I find it amazing that the black conservatives on this site are defending Paula Deen wanting to hire "niggers" to serve at her brother wedding so it would look truly "plantation style". You could not make this stuff up, I say!

Yep. That would be like recruiting native American folks to use as extras in an old western movie. The nerve of these folks using race as the basis for hiring minority workers! Now if they had made it really authentic, whipping any that moved too slowly or broke a dish and offered the help only meager meals and a shack for to sleep in as pay then we may have us a genuine problem. ;)

Yep. That would be like recruiting native American folks to use as extras in an old western movie. The nerve of these folks using race as the basis for hiring minority workers! Now if they had made it really authentic, whipping any that moved too slowly or broke a dish and offered the help only meager meals and a shack for to sleep in as pay then we may have us a genuine problem. ;)

Except many of the people that share your view miss the bigger picture and context of her wanting a "plantation" style wedding. She admitted in that deposition that she just thought that those days were "beautiful" and when she was asked what time period she was referring to, she answered pre-civil war, during the civil war and immediately following. IOW, when it was ok to own slaves. It's a rather odd thing to feel nostalgic for a time when ownership of another person was ok. It's also rather odd to think that what would make your wedding beautiful is to dress people up as slaves and have them serve your dinner.

The greater context and big picture you are missing though is that her feelings about plantation weddings and her response to "have you used the n-word?" is "of course." Creates a picture of her character that she holds racist views which bolsters the claims made by her general manager that she glossed over complaints of his mistreatment of women and black people in her restaurant. Since from her testimony, it seems that she doesn't think such things are wrong, and in fact should sometimes be celebrated.

What difference does her political affiliation make? If You notice, it is the "conservatives" who are defending her on this. The democrats and progressives find her offensive.

None. Just pointing it out. Guess she wasn't 'offensive' when she was cooking for the Obamas.

Why isn't someone suing Snoop Dogg? He says nigger 1000 times a day.....

But you wouldn't know a double standard if it hiked its leg and pissed in your Toms.

Yeah double standards suck.

Like how some people are upset Dean got fired, but are happy Catholics fire single mothers.

None. Just pointing it out. Guess she wasn't 'offensive' when she was cooking for the Obamas.

When did she cook for them? The white house has its own chef and staff. Dean has not ever prepared an Executive meal. Please show if you can prove otherwise.

Oh so she did an appearance with a celebrity. I thought you might not be making stuff up, but you are.

Are you saying they weren't cooking and didn't eat what they cooked? Got any proof of that or are you just making stuff up again?

I have more respect for people that actually use the word nigger than I do people that use the phrase "the N word."

Paula Dean probably has a few racist bones in her body. That makes her like a whole lot of people. Food Network decided that she probably shouldnt be on the air. Probably a good call. Life will go on.

Are you saying they weren't cooking and didn't eat what they cooked? Got any proof of that or are you just making stuff up again?

It was a celebrity event. Dean didnt cook a meal for the first family. I have seen enough cooking shows to know they dont really eat the food.

Back
Top Bottom