• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paula Deen, the N Word and the Lawsuit [W:220]

ksu_aviator

Democrats are the fascists
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Celeb chef Paula Deen admits using 'N word' - CNN.com

A former manager at Deen's restaurants in Savannah, Georgia, is suing her and her brother for sexual and racial harassment. LIsa T. Jackson's lawsuit alleges that Deen and Bubba Hier committed numerous acts of violence, discrimination and racism that resulted in the end of her five-year employment at Deen's Lady & Sons and Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House eateries in Savannah.

Deen's lawyer called the allegations false.

Well, of course he does.

What this lawsuit comes down to is did Paula Deen and her brother use the N word in jokes and conversation. If so, does that constitute racism/discrimination?

So let's talk about that. Can the N word be used without racism being part of the meaning?

Well, of course he does.

What this lawsuit comes down to is did Paula Deen and her brother use the N word in jokes and conversation. If so, does that constitute racism/discrimination?

So let's talk about that. Can the N word be used without racism being part of the meaning?

How did you come to this conclusion? The article makes no mention of the N word being used in the presense of the person suing, only to a "time in the past". If Obama can "evolve" his position on gay marriage (within a single four year term) then Paula Dean can surely change her use of racial slurs in several decades. ;)

Well, of course he does.

As the N word was use to refer to black people people originally, just as the words Honky and Cracker were use to refer to white people. The N word having been turn into a bad word is just a little ridicules if you consider the origin of that word.

Or maybe it became a bad word because the current ones do not shock us any more.

PS I will now read the article and post about it now.

Yes, black people call each other that all the time. I've known white people to call each other that years ago. It's also starting to be used again in jokes by Louis CK and Russell Peters. Not saying I like it, it's just not always a racist term.

Well, of course he does.

As the N word was use to refer to black people people originally, just as the words Honky and Cracker were use to refer to white people. The N word having been turn into a bad word is just a little ridicules if you consider the origin of that word.

Or maybe it became a bad word because the current ones do not shock us any more.

PS I will now read the article and post about it now.

You are black?

Did you see how in the article it never says when she said the N word. For all we know she said it long before then up until it became a bad word. And food for thought the movie Blazing Saddles uses the N word and then it was not a bad word.

The use and meaning of words is always changing. The term nigger is completely unacceptable in our present society. Only the poorest and least educated use it. To make things more confusing, when I was a kid, the polite word was colored and the bad word was black. Now black is the good word and colored is the bad word. So, the whole thing is ridiculous. As the article says, the South in the 60s was a very different time and circumstance.

The court will have to decide the merits of the case. I was accused of discrimination in hiring, completely falsely. The accuser didn't realize that my senior managers were not so white :). So they went with me to the hearing and that ended that. Most people don't love their employers and lots of people sue over all kinds of reasons.

Yes, black people call each other that all the time. I've known white people to call each other that years ago. It's also starting to be used again in jokes by Louis CK and Russell Peters. Not saying I like it, it's just not always a racist term.

Lots of comedians use it.

Did you see how in the article it never says when she said the N word. For all we know she said it long before then up until it became a bad word. And food for thought the movie Blazing Saddles uses the N word and then it was not a bad word.

Should probably never be used at work though. Unless you're a comedian of course.

I used to have a neighbor who would be on his cell calling his buddies N-this and N-that. :roll: He and his friends were white as white can be, and skinny little white middle-class suburban kids too. I was thinking about how funny it would be if some big black guy overheard him or one of his friends. :lol:

And food for thought the movie Blazing Saddles uses the N word and then it was not a bad word.

I'm pretty sure 'nigger' was a bad word in 1974. Blazing Saddles is mocking people who use it.

I'm pretty sure 'nigger' was a bad word in 1974. Blazing Saddles is mocking people who use it.

What about "wigger?" Is that a bad word too?

Obviously, it doesn't need to be racist every time it's used, because we've all heard it used in non-racist ways. So the situation is more complex than that.

Ha! This sounds just like that kid I was talking about! :lol:

wigger

A male caucasion, usually born and raised in the suburbs that displays a strong desire to emulate African American Hip Hop culture and style through "Bling" fashion and generally accepted "thug life" guiding principles.

Often characterized by his car, or "whip": usually an econobox modified with at least twice the car's book value in non-power producing modifications or an SUV with at least 5500 lbs. of curb weight. Traditional trucks can also qualify here, depending on locale (southern states' percentages are higher). All vehicles are also mandated to have at least 19" chrome alloy wheels, regardless of make. The typical wigger is also characterized by a strong desire to adorn gold jewlery (especially heavy gold chains) and athletic warm up suits. All equipment and clothing will be paid for by the parents of the individual in question, or the parents of said individual's "shorty" through the use of said shorty's credit cards.

Nothing more pleasant than being around privileged white kids acting like they're from the 'hood, especially when they cuss and play their bass real loud. :)

I used to have a neighbor who would be on his cell calling his buddies N-this and N-that. :roll: He and his friends were white as white can be, and skinny little white middle-class suburban kids too. I was thinking about how funny it would be if some big black guy overheard him or one of his friends. :lol:

Well, of course he does.

Of course, it's not censored in comedy shows and certainly isn't censored on BET. It's one thing to use it as a racial slur, it's another to use it in a joke or as slang. However, in the workplace it's stupid to use the word in any setting.

Nothing more pleasant than being around privileged white kids acting like they're from the 'hood, especially when they cuss and play their bass real loud. :)

I would just love to see the looks on their faces if a BIG black guy overheard them and was like, "WHAT did you say?" They would probably drop that act so fast. That would be really funny. :lol:

I've never liked Paula Deen since I saw her on a Food Network Special where she sidled up to a young man, rubbing her hands over his chest and appearing to snake one hand behind him as if grabbing his ass, and told national tv what she'd like to do with him. He was young enough to be her grandson, was visibly shaken and embarrassed. Another food network celeb, don't remember who, managed to get her away from the guy, who immediately disappeared into the crowd.

That was sexual harassment, plain and simple, and I don't care if it was her birthday bash, anyone who humiliates someone in that fashion on television is a narcissistic asshole. I can't stand to even look at her since then.

Obviously, it doesn't need to be racist every time it's used, because we've all heard it used in non-racist ways. So the situation is more complex than that.

Inappropriate behavior in the workplace.

That would be funny. :mrgreen:

Have you ever heard of Lonely Island?

I would just love to see the looks on their faces if a BIG black guy overheard them and was like, "WHAT did you say?" They would probably drop that act so fast. That would be really funny. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom