• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paula Deen Fired[W:223]

Re: Paula Deen Fired

Except this is not what happens. Refer to my last post for the reason why.
I was giving the underlying symbolism of why there's a double standard. What you're illustrating is that Blacks tend to point out differences and push White people away (by using racial slurs) more than Whites push Blacks away. That's a separate issue.

Last edited:

She really wasn't fired. They just aren't renewing their contract.

Maybe her and Hillary would like to hang out?:mrgreen:

Hillary Clinton and Middle East war crimes

http://wsws.org/en/articles/2012/03/pers-m03.html

More Than Thirty Top U.S. Officials Guilty of War Crimes

More Than Thirty Top U.S. Officials Guilty of War Crimes | Global Research

Adolph-Hitler-Banner-Standard-Nazi-.jpg

I was giving the underlying symbolism of why there's a double standard. What you're illustrating is that Blacks tend to point out differences and push White people away (by using racial slurs) more than Whites push Blacks away. That's a separate issue.

Ok. :) Ty.

That is absolutely preposterous. If you allow the use of the word nigger by some in a certain context, not allowing its use in the same benign context in other races is racism.

haha wut

That's all very clever, but, you didn't answer the question. What crime did she commit?

I wasn't aware she was being charged with a crime.

Exactly. 'Nigger' means black, and that's why it's ok for blacks to say it but not other races. Black people, by virtue of being black, have an inherent legitimacy to use the word where non-blacks cannot, because they are not black. When a Black person says 'nigger' to another Black person, they are pointing out a likeness between them, bringing them closer. When a White person says 'nigger' to a black person, they are pointing out a difference between them, pushing them away. All instances of anyone using the word in any context boil down to that: is the speaker pointing out a likeness, or a difference.

This is not a double standard but a universal rule which applies to any attribute the speaker of the word personally possesses. Gays can call each-other fag and that is in no way offensive because it's a term of endearment pointing out a likeness, but if a hetero says it, that's pointing out a difference, so that's rude.

We generally only see exceptions to this rule among close friends where the issue of race has been transcended.

I definitely agree with what you stated, however, I would just like to say that we call each other niggas, rather than the -er ending as it is taking a pejorative term and giving it a new meaning amongst ourselves.

That is absolutely preposterous. If you allow the use of the word nigger by some in a certain context, not allowing its use in the same benign context in other races is racism.

LOLZ! And you call yourself a 'progressive,' but actively argue to use racial slurs. Funny!

I definitely agree with what you stated, however, I would just like to say that we call each other niggas, rather than the -er ending as it is taking a pejorative term and giving it a new meaning amongst ourselves.

There are two (decent) attitudes towards the term, two choices in linguistic revolution:

1. Make it our own and thus change it.
2. Abolish it.

1. is the proper choice but I'm not black so I'll settle with 2. I can't own it and change it, because I'm not black. You guys can do your thing with it, but I'm stayin' outta that.

You're a bit extreme for me in many cases 66 but on this point I would have to agree but for a slightly different reason. There is a huge double standard today when it comes to words like "nigger" and "honky". A white person dares not say the word "nigger" in/out of a work environment for fear of being fired. But i've seen blacks say the word "honky" quite a few times in a few jobs (even at the job) and they were never even reprimanded much less fired.

Anecdotal evidence is never good as you are assuming that your situation is the norm.

There are two (decent) attitudes towards the term, two choices in linguistic revolution:

1. Make it our own and thus change it.
2. Abolish it.

1. is the proper choice but I'm not black so I'll settle with 2. I can't own it and change it, because I'm not black. You guys can do your thing with it, but I'm stayin' outta that.

Of the options you mentioned, there is a lot of debate in the black community about whether to get rid of the word or to keep using it in the manner which we have changed it.

The jury is still out.

Of the options you mentioned, there is a lot of debate in the black community about whether to get rid of the word or to keep using it in the manner which we have changed it.

The jury is still out.

As with poverty, I believe that revolution can only be achieved by making it our own and thus changing it. Unfortunately, I don't see that's an option given personal circumstance in this particular instance, and I must relegate myself to the inferior option (abolition).

Funny, family was talking about this today, talked about how white people have no rights. Just rolled my eyes, and ate more birthday cake :lol:
LOL, family can be the worst.

You're a bit extreme for me in many cases 66 but on this point I would have to agree but for a slightly different reason. There is a huge double standard today when it comes to words like "nigger" and "honky". A white person dares not say the word "nigger" in/out of a work environment for fear of being fired. But i've seen blacks say the word "honky" quite a few times in a few jobs (even at the job) and they were never even reprimanded much less fired.
There isn't a double standard when the words exist in completely different contexts. A "double standard" is when two situations that are the same are treated differently. "Nigger" and "honkey" are not the same. As far as using either at work, I don't using any slurs at work is appropriate.

LOL. If you don't see the difference between blacks depicting a story by playing slaves in a movies and white woman wanting to role play in her actual life by pretending black people are slaves, you are ... something else.

Meh, I doubt the food networks decision had anything to do with moral outrage. Industries like that are more concerned with public reaction, and obviously the public can be rather fickle about these things.

Anecdotal evidence is never good as you are assuming that your situation is the norm.

Yeah it is ancedotal evidence. But I've lived from one cost to another both north and south and in the middle. Maybe I just lived along some bad routes. :shrug:

There isn't a double standard when the words exist in completely different contexts. A "double standard" is when two situations that are the same are treated differently. "Nigger" and "honkey" are not the same. As far as using either at work, I don't using any slurs at work is appropriate.

They are both considered racial slurs and as such are the same.

I wasn't aware she was being charged with a crime.

She was not charged with a crime. I was loosely, metaphorically using the expression "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime," relating to her using the word, and then being upset that she was caught. I'm guessing hfd hasn't figured that out yet. :shrug:

Paula was not "fired" in the sense of the word. Her contract was not renewed. It is a little different than being dragged in and fired. Also, she is a media person, and they have image requirements to sell their product to networks. This is not legal terms regarding her discrimination or not, this is about whether or not her image was badly damaged and her brand harmed. This is also not her only problem in that area after her diabetes incident. It is not a big surprise they didn't want to renew her contract. The word fired is tossed around by the wannabe victims of persecution who were never actually victimized, and probably by those people who want to seem tougher on her actions to please those offended. It still does not change the reality they simply said no to a new contract and did not drag her in and fire her ass. Part of the fun of being a contracted worker is that it becomes really easy to get rid of someone when their contract is up without going through the problems of firing a person.

She was not charged with a crime. I was loosely, metaphorically using the expression "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime," relating to her using the word, and then being upset that she was caught. I'm guessing hfd hasn't figured that out yet. :shrug:

I figured out that you mad a false statement. Glad to see you admit that you did.

Would you eat at a kkk steakhouse?

Too little ethics in today's society.

He said he wouldn't buy a book endorsed by the KKK, not a steak cooked by them. You do know the difference?
I wouldn't stop eating KFC because the KKK likes or dislikes them.

Too little intelligence in today's society.

You might if they made thee best steaks.

Too much importance is put on appearances in today's environment.

Said he would consider eating kkk steaks in response to the book comment. This is the post I quoted earlier.

Back
Top Bottom