• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paul Stam, North Carolina Republican, Says Schools Chief 'Should Stick To Her Own Kni

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Paul Stam, North Carolina Republican, Says Schools Chief 'Should Stick To Her Own Knitting'

North Carolina House Majority Leader Paul “Skip” Stam had some choice words Monday for the state’s superintendent of public instruction –- words that he would most likely reconsider if the schools chief were a man.

Stam's comment came after the superintendent, June Atkinson, expressed her belief to reporters that private schools and public schools in the state should take the same standardized tests. He said she should focus on her mandate of helping public schools, according to North Carolina outlet The News & Observer.

She should stick to her own knitting,” Stam said.

Think he would have said the same to a man?

Re: Paul Stam, North Carolina Republican, Says Schools Chief 'Should Stick To Her Own

I don't know, he is obviously an antiquated kind of a person so I seriously doubt he would say the same to a man.

Lots of antique males running NC these days.

Re: Paul Stam, North Carolina Republican, Says Schools Chief 'Should Stick To Her Own

I think of all the things to be outraged over, this isn't it.

Describe said outrage you refer to.

Thankfully, conservatives will continue to say stupid things about growing portions of our population, including women, leading to the GOPs descent into a marginal regional party run by knownothings who think women should stick to their knitting.

I know the guy. He got elected leader because he's usually a pretty smart politician. IMHO, he's a neanderthal Bible thumping dumb@&&. But he had enough votes to get elected by the house members. He did have opposition though.

To answer your question, he wouldn't have used those particular words, but he would have said something just as dumb and potentially offensive. He wouldn't be able to help himself.

Thankfully, conservatives will continue to say stupid things about growing portions of our population, including women, leading to the GOPs descent into a marginal regional party run by knownothings who think women should stick to their knitting.

The stupid gene is not selective to so called conservatives alone. And maybe you would want to change that term to "extreme so called conservatives". Because there's nothing conservative about what he said. A true conservative respects all people and shows that respect freely and without prompting (sex, race, ethnicity or religion).

The stupid gene is not selective to so called conservatives alone. And maybe you would want to change that term to "extreme so called conservatives". Because there's nothing conservative about what he said. A true conservative respects all people and shows that respect freely and without prompting (sex, race, ethnicity or religion).

Not all stupid people are conservative, but all conservatives are stupid.

Only conservatives say stupid things like "get back to your knitting" and "legitimate rape". Totally out of touch.

Not all stupid people are conservative, but all conservatives are stupid.

Only conservatives say stupid things like "get back to your knitting" and "legitimate rape". Totally out of touch.

All conservatives are stupid? Would you like to retract that? Extremist that call themselves "conservative", then yes. But ALL Conservatives? Really?

You don't want me to start posting YouTube videos of the extreme left saying just as stupid crap. I'll give you the opportunity to adjust the statement before I do.

I agree with Beau, the man is a neandertal and would have said something just as stupid to a man.

The worms are crawling out of the woodwork in N.Carolina now. What a shame, the state was finally starting to rise up from the bottom of the barrel and now the worms are trying to sink it back down.

All conservatives are stupid? Would you like to retract that? Extremist that call themselves "conservative", then yes. But ALL Conservatives? Really?

You don't want me to start posting YouTube videos of the extreme left saying just as stupid crap. I'll give you the opportunity to adjust the statement before I do.

Yes, I do. I want you to post Youtube videos of legitimate Democratic leaders saying something as stupid as "legitimate rape" and "death counsels". I dare you.

Now, put up or shut up!

Yes, I do. I want you to post Youtube videos of legitimate Democratic leaders saying something as stupid as "legitimate rape" and "death counsels". I dare you.

Now, put up or shut up!

You're an ass.

I'll start tomorrow. Going to bed now.

Now, put up or shut up!

I'll start,

Congressman Hank Johnson fears Guam will tip over, March 25, 2010 - YouTube

This is just a classic though, everyone says dumb stuff, but you have to be a special kind of ignorant for this kind of screw up.

Paul Stam, North Carolina Republican, Says Schools Chief 'Should Stick To Her Own Knitting'
Stam's comment came after the superintendent, June Atkinson, expressed her belief to reporters that private schools and public schools in the state should take the same standardized tests. He said she should focus on her mandate of helping public schools, according to North Carolina outlet The News & Observer.

Think he would have said the same to a man?

two points

1. atkinson makes an excellent suggestion. the perception is that private schools out-perform public schools. that is sometimes true. especially jesuit run schools. but it is often incorrect. evangelical-Christian schools tend to perform poorly when compared to public schools. use the same test the public schools use to also measure the private school achievement. the private schools can also use other tests, should they choose to do so, but they should be expected to have their students' performance evaluated against public schools; otherwise, how would it become known the school was extremely inferior and in need of intervention

2. 'stick to the knitting'' is an old expression, meaning stick to what one knows best, rather than take on new assignments. in the business world it is frequently used to describe a business that strays from what made it - or its owner - successful
this was not an unkind, sexist comment

I'll start,

Congressman Hank Johnson fears Guam will tip over, March 25, 2010 - YouTube

This is just a classic though, everyone says dumb stuff, but you have to be a special kind of ignorant for this kind of screw up.

Jesus man, is this the best you can do. The guy was speaking in hyperbole. So you think the Guam Islanders were insulted?

You need to try harder.

And no, everybody does not say stupid things that insult and marginalize whole groups of people, including half the population that are made up of women. Conservatives do. But not everybody.

NEXT DISCREDITED RIGHTWING MEME!

two points

1. atkinson makes an excellent suggestion. the perception is that private schools out-perform public schools. that is sometimes true. especially jesuit run schools. but it is often incorrect. evangelical-Christian schools tend to perform poorly when compared to public schools. use the same test the public schools use to also measure the private school achievement. the private schools can also use other tests, should they choose to do so, but they should be expected to have their students' performance evaluated against public schools; otherwise, how would it become known the school was extremely inferior and in need of intervention

2. 'stick to the knitting'' is an old expression, meaning stick to what one knows best, rather than take on new assignments. in the business world it is frequently used to describe a business that strays from what made it - or its owner - successful

You might be right, except that Stam has a history of saying stupid degrading things that attack groups of people.

Daily Kos: North Carolina Repub: 'Ban The Poor From The Lottery'

NC House Majority Leader Skip Stam admits national hate group wrote Amendment One | Pam's House Blend

http://www.back2stonewall.com/2011/...stan-likens-gay-marriage-incest-polygamy.html

Last edited:

two points

Even knowing that, it was an insult insinuating she didn't know what she was talking about.

Even knowing that, it was an insult insinuating she didn't know what she was talking about.

but that is not what he was saying
he was of the opinion that the superintendent of PUBLIC instruction should stick too that segment and not 'intrude' upon private education
meaning the knitting she should stick to is the public school system without involvement in the private school system
while i disagree with him, as was indicated previously, we should not mistake what he was actually expressing

Back
Top Bottom