• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paul Ryan May Lose in 2014

Drake McHugh

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Paul Ryan may be defeated for reelection. His district is the least Republican of the 5 GOP seats in the state(it went about 52% for Romney,despite him being on the ticket.
In 2012,he only won with 54%,his lowest ever. Now he is front and center on immigration,making his conservative base very unhappy. Very unhappy. Very,very unhappy. Attended his townhall over the weekend in Racine,WI and he sounded indistinguishable from a liberal Democrat. Glad he is not my congressman.

It says something about the continued trend toward irrationality of the Republican Party when Paul Ryan is considered a liberal Democrat.

It says something about the continued trend toward irrationality of the Republican Party when Paul Ryan is considered a liberal Democrat.
Nuts doesn't even begin to describe how crazy these people are now.

I doubt very much Paul Ryan would lose. His close margin in the general election was probably due to running at the same time on a national ticket, just like Michele Bachmann's closer than expected margin. Besides, it sounds like you think his trouble would come from the right. His defeat in a primary election would be a national embarrassment. I'm sure the party would throw all the endorsements and money he needs to win that race. Combine that with the fact that immigration is only one issue and he remains conservative on most others, as well as the fact Paul Ryan is at the very least an above average politician, I believe he is very safe for re-election.

Paul Ryan may be defeated for reelection. His district is the least Republican of the 5 GOP seats in the state(it went about 52% for Romney,despite him being on the ticket.
In 2012,he only won with 54%,his lowest ever. Now he is front and center on immigration,making his conservative base very unhappy. Very unhappy. Very,very unhappy. Attended his townhall over the weekend in Racine,WI and he sounded indistinguishable from a liberal Democrat. Glad he is not my congressman.

Maybe his supporters didn't bother voting, because they feared their vote would be lost if he was the VP?

Sorry, but you're wrong on one count. Duffy and Ribble's districts are the least Republican leaning congressional districts in Wisconsin.

I doubt very much Paul Ryan would lose. His close margin in the general election was probably due to running at the same time on a national ticket, just like Michele Bachmann's closer than expected margin.
Maybe his supporters didn't bother voting, because they feared their vote would be lost if he was the VP?

His opponent Zerban and several liberal advocacy groups were telling 1st district voters both that they couldn't vote for Paul Ryan or that they didn't have to vote for Paul Ryan, because he was on the Presidential ticket. The Wisconsin Republicans had to mount a last minute call campaign to contact voters and tell them that they had to vote for him twice.

So ... if by "54%, his lowest ever" he means, "Wisconsin Progressives are immoral, lying creeps" then he'd be correct.

He should be defeated he is a Big Government RINO. Obama is more conservative than this guy...

I didn't say he was a liberal Democrat. The arguments he was making were those of a liberal. BTW,his voting record is not as conservative as your side makes it out be. Voted for TARP,the auto bailout,Violence Against Women Act,Prescription drugs. His Heritage rating is in the 60s out of 100. Only to a faux "moderate"is he such a conservative.

Sorry, but you're wrong on one count. Duffy and Ribble's districts are the least Republican leaning congressional districts in Wisconsin.

His opponent Zerban and several liberal advocacy groups were telling 1st district voters both that they couldn't vote for Paul Ryan or that they didn't have to vote for Paul Ryan, because he was on the Presidential ticket. The Wisconsin Republicans had to mount a last minute call campaign to contact voters and tell them that they had to vote for him twice.

So ... if by "54%, his lowest ever" he means, "Wisconsin Progressives are immoral, lying creeps" then he'd be correct.

I stand corrected. They are barely less Republican(from my count Ribble's is the almost exactly the same). Ryan's district is trending more Democrat though,while Ribble and especially Duffy's,are trending more Republican and conservative. Also,Ryan's district is represented by quite a few democrats in the state legislature,some who are fairly strong.

I doubt very much Paul Ryan would lose. His close margin in the general election was probably due to running at the same time on a national ticket, just like Michele Bachmann's closer than expected margin. Besides, it sounds like you think his trouble would come from the right. His defeat in a primary election would be a national embarrassment. I'm sure the party would throw all the endorsements and money he needs to win that race. Combine that with the fact that immigration is only one issue and he remains conservative on most others, as well as the fact Paul Ryan is at the very least an above average politician, I believe he is very safe for re-election.

I agree, and especially so if the Dems don't have a good, chrarismatic alternative ... he's a pretty good campaigner despite his beady eyes ...

Why is the fact Paul Ryan may have some difficulty in his reelection bid a harbinger of Republican "irrationality" any more than Joe Libermann getting primaried out of the Democrat Senate nomination after he was the Democrat VP Candidate with Gore was a harbinger of Democrat "irrationality"?

People really put far too much emphasis on individual races in small states and gin up a huge controversy about party viability nationwide.

I didn't say he was a liberal Democrat.
No, you just said he sounded like one. :roll:
Why is the fact Paul Ryan may have some difficulty in his reelection bid a harbinger of Republican "irrationality"
I didn't say that at all. I didn't say anything about his re-election bid. I think you may have me confused with someone else.

The irrationality is the idea that a guy like Paul Ryan could be considered a liberal by the Republican Party.

No, you just said he sounded like one. :roll:
I didn't say that at all. I didn't say anything about his re-election bid. I think you may have me confused with someone else.

The irrationality is the idea that a guy like Paul Ryan could be considered a liberal by the Republican Party.

Yes, your exact quote from post 3 was "It says something about the continued trend toward irrationality of the Republican Party when Paul Ryan is considered a liberal Democrat". So my question still stands - why would this be considered irrational behaviour on the part of the Republican Party when the Joe Libermann getting primaried out of the Democrat nomination was not irrational behaviour by the Democrat party, thinking he was a conservative Republican?

My point being, it's not irrational, it's just politics, and it happens in each party all the time.

Yes, your exact quote from post 3 was "It says something about the continued trend toward irrationality of the Republican Party when Paul Ryan is considered a liberal Democrat".
Exactly...do you see ANYTHING about his re-election bid there? You don't, right?

So my question still stands - why would this be considered irrational behaviour on the part of the Republican Party when the Joe Libermann getting primaried out of the Democrat nomination was not irrational behaviour by the Democrat party, thinking he was a conservative Republican?

My point being, it's not irrational, it's just politics, and it happens in each party all the time.
And my point still stands, which is that you very obviously seem to think something is in my post which is not there. I didn't say ANYTHING about Paul Ryan's re-election bid, merely Paul Ryan himself and the nonsense exhibited by any Republican who thinks he's a liberal Democrat.

I honestly have no earthly idea why you think that has anything to do with an election.

Exactly...do you see ANYTHING about his re-election bid there? You don't, right?

And my point still stands, which is that you very obviously seem to think something is in my post which is not there. I didn't say ANYTHING about Paul Ryan's re-election bid, merely Paul Ryan himself and the nonsense exhibited by any Republican who thinks he's a liberal Democrat.

I honestly have no earthly idea why you think that has anything to do with an election.

My thoughts may have had something to do with the fact your comment was the third on a new thread entitled "Paul Ryan May Lose in 2014" and the subject of the OP was Paul Ryan's reelection in 2014. My mistake for thinking you were actually responding to the thread and not just throwing out an irrelevant random thought.

My thoughts may have had something to do with the fact your comment was the third on a new thread entitled "Paul Ryan May Lose in 2014" and the subject of the OP was Paul Ryan's reelection in 2014. My mistake for thinking you were actually responding to the thread and not just throwing out an irrelevant random thought.
No, your mistake was the fact you clearly did not read the opening post, which featured this comment:

Attended his townhall over the weekend in Racine,WI and he sounded indistinguishable from a liberal Democrat. Glad he is not my congressman.

That is what I responded to (and told you I was responding to). Amusingly enough, Drake knew what I was talking about when he replied to me and he created the thread. So I accept your apology on making the mistake of not reading before you posted. It happens to everyone. But what I said was not at all an irrelevant random thought, it was a thought directly related to the opening poster's comment about Paul Ryan sounding like a liberal Democrat.

Nuts doesn't even begin to describe how crazy these people are now.

They can't turn the rightwing noise machine off. It has to take more and more extreme positions and proclaim more and more irrational and counterfactual policies, drumming out any semblance of moderation from the poor, tea party haunted GOP.

I'd say it's sad except I find it so perfect. The funny thing is Karl Rove helped create the machine and brought the tea party types into the fold to win an election or two. Now he totally regrets it and realizes that the noise machine will kill conservative in the US. Thank God and Turd Blossom for that.

No, your mistake was the fact you clearly did not read the opening post, which featured this comment:

That is what I responded to (and told you I was responding to). Amusingly enough, Drake knew what I was talking about when he replied to me and he created the thread. So I accept your apology on making the mistake of not reading before you posted. It happens to everyone. But what I said was not at all an irrelevant random thought, it was a thought directly related to the opening poster's comment about Paul Ryan sounding like a liberal Democrat.

So you believe that painting the entire Republican Party as trending to the irrational, simply because one person said Paul Ryan sounded like a liberal Democrat, without even having any idea what Paul Ryan actual said is reasonable?

And you still avoided my question, which is pertinent to your comment. I appreciate you can't justify your comment that the Republican Party is trending to the irrational and I accept that you'll do anything to avoid address it, so I'll leave it at that.

So you believe that painting the entire Republican Party as trending to the irrational, simply because one person said Paul Ryan sounded like a liberal Democrat, without even having any idea what Paul Ryan actual said is reasonable?

And you still avoided my question, which is pertinent to your comment. I appreciate you can't justify your comment that the Republican Party is trending to the irrational and I accept that you'll do anything to avoid address it, so I'll leave it at that.

pssst: in the prior presidential election, Palin was the GOP's VP candidate. Palin.

Trending irrational hardly conveys what is happening to the GOP. It's falling down the rabbit hole.

Is that what I said? No. Here's what I said, you even quoted me once:

The Republican Party was trending toward irrationality before that poster made his comment. I simply said his comment simply highlights the trend. Why you are having so much difficulty understanding what I said?

:lamo

I'm sorry, but did you really just accuse me of avoiding a question you asked based on your erroneous understanding of what I said, a question which challenges an idea I never expressed? C'mon now, surely you realize how ridiculous that sounds. I didn't avoid anything, I simply told you your question had absolutely no relevance to what I said.

Is that what I said? No. Here's what I said, you even quoted me once:

The Republican Party was trending toward irrationality before that poster made his comment. I simply said his comment simply highlights the trend. Why you are having so much difficulty understanding what I said?

:lamo

I'm sorry, but did you really just accuse me of avoiding a question you asked based on your erroneous understanding of what I said, a question which challenges an idea I never expressed? C'mon now, surely you realize how ridiculous that sounds. I didn't avoid anything, I simply told you your question had absolutely no relevance to what I said.

Of course you consider it irrelevant and ridiculous because it challenges your asinine narrative. That's fine, carry on.

Of course you consider it irrelevant and ridiculous because it challenges your asinine narrative. That's fine, carry on.
No, it's irrelevant and ridiculous because the question assumes something I never said. Tell me, why do you think Obama is a pedophile?

When you understand why it's ridiculous for you to answer a challenge to a statement you never made, you'll understand why your question is also irrelevant and ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom