• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paul Ryan: Donald Trump can help make reality of bold House policy agenda

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
By Rep. Paul Ryan

It will be a positive, optimistic vision for a more confident America.

It’s short of all that’s required to save the country, but the goal was to focus on issues that unite Republicans. It’s a bold agenda but one that can bring together all wings of the Republican Party as well as appeal to most Americans.

One person who we know won’t support it is Hillary Clinton. A Clinton White House would mean four more years of liberal cronyism and a government more out for itself than the people it serves. Quite simply, she represents all that our agenda aims to fix.

To enact these ideas, we need a Republican president willing to sign them into law. That’s why, when he sealed the nomination, I could not offer my support for Donald Trump before discussing policies and basic principles.

As I said from the start, my goal has been to unite the party so we can win in the fall. And if we’re going to unite, it has to be over ideas.

Donald Trump and I have talked at great length about things such as the proper role of the executive and fundamental principles such as the protection of life. The list of potential Supreme Court nominees he released after our first meeting was very encouraging.

But the House policy agenda has been the main focus of our dialogue. We’ve talked about the common ground this agenda can represent. We’ve discussed how the House can be a driver of policy ideas. We’ve talked about how important these reforms are to saving our country. And we’ve talked about how, by focusing on issues that unite Republicans, we can work together to heal the fissures developed through the primary.

Through these conversations, I feel confident he would help us turn the ideas in this agenda into laws to help improve people’s lives. That’s why I’ll be voting for him this fall.

Paul Ryan: Donald Trump can help make reality of bold House policy agenda | GazetteXtra

Late is better than never. I bet once he figured out that Kristol is full of it he finally smelled the coffee, figured out the politics of this thing. I had high hopes for Ryan but so far he has been a disappointment as Speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Paul Ryan Board the Trump Train

I don't know whether this is a good or a bad thing. Time will tell.

That has got to be one of the most lackluster and self-serving endorsements that I've ever seen. He does it make it clear from the beginning that he will be discussing Trump and then he chooses to neither mention nor reference the man until the 11th paragraph - to say that he wasn't ready to endorse him when they first met - and only gets to a statement of support by the 15th paragraph.

This reads much more like a statement of House positions and ideals than an endorsement of Trump.

Trump v. Hillary is a bad thing.
I don't know whether this is a good or a bad thing. Time will tell.

Meh... it's a quasi endorsement with enough built in cover that he can yank it back the second Trump puts his foot in his mouth.

Notice how careful he is to articulate that he sees Trump as a vehicle for getting his agenda passed and nary a word about his fitness for the job. Not a word about character, integrity, or leadership. He's basically saying... "I'll vote for him because I have no other choice and I pray it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass".

That has got to be one of the most lackluster and self-serving endorsements that I've ever seen. He does it make it clear from the beginning that he will be discussing Trump and then he chooses to neither mention nor reference the man until the 11th paragraph.

This reads much more like a statement of House positions and ideals than an endorsement of Trump.

It does, I agree. As endorsements go, this would make me not want to see a repudiation. But the GOP has no choice in the matter, really. They can make common cause with Trump and hope to win the election, or not make common cause with him and forfeit the election.

Meh... it's a quasi endorsement with enough built in cover that he can yank it back the second Trump puts his foot in his mouth.

Notice how careful he is to articulate that he sees Trump as a vehicle for getting his agenda passed and nary a word about his fitness for the job. Not a word about character, integrity, or leadership. He's basically saying... "I'll vote for him because I have no other choice and I pray it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass".

Ryan and his cherished policy positions are a hoot, if wanted to be in charge of policy he should have run for POTUS, he is Speaker, and Trump will be POTUS and the leader of the party, Trump decides policy. The real story here I think is that Ryan has proven to have poor political chops, and he has been in the chair for awhile now....where's the beef? He has come late but finally capitulated to Trump as we all knew weeks go that he must, but he still seems delusional.

That’s how I’ve always looked at it. I’ve spent most of my adult life pursuing ways to help protect the “American Idea”—the notion that the condition of one’s birth does not determine the outcome of one’s life. The first step is always putting it on paper and having a real debate. And with the Obama presidency nearing an end, we have a real opportunity to get big things done the next four years.

I'd like to know how Ryan squares his ideals with Trumps verbiage about Muslims, Mexicans and immigration?

Ryan is just a whore like so many others who has his eyes on a future prize that he sees himself winning. So he is willing to do what is necessary right now and wash his hands of the debacle come when Trump crashes and burns in December and hop that by 2020 nobody cares nor remembers.

I wish Ryan hadn't done this. The Trump lovers didn't want his support, and according to the great man himself, don't need his support.

**** Trump.

Ryan is just a whore like so many others who has his eyes on a future prize that he sees himself winning. So he is willing to do what is necessary right now and wash his hands of the debacle come when Trump crashes and burns in December and hop that by 2020 nobody cares nor remembers.

Ryan should remember that another guy who decided over years his moves in Congress by way of his desire to be President is now up **** Creek (Cruz of course). Maybe he should concentrate on doing the job he has now well?? Just an idea.

I'd like to know how Ryan squares his ideals with Trumps verbiage about Muslims, Mexicans and immigration?

Or the whole birther movement that where Trump put himself in charge.

Well, so much for Ryan's integrity and conservative ideals...

I wish Ryan hadn't done this. The Trump lovers didn't want his support, and according to the great man himself, don't need his support.

**** Trump.

Ya no.....his choices were

1) fall in line behind the parties POTUS candidate.

2) resign his chair and leave Congress

The problem is that either it took him a very long time to figure this out or else he tried to run a stupid bluff against Trump, who is the last guy that flim-flam was going to work on.

Last edited:

So Ryan is saying that Trump has said things that Ryan feels makes supporting him logical and reasonable.

Wow!

Trump has been on five sides of every issue he has dealt with. Of course he has said things that Ryan likes. He has said things that Bernie Sanders likes. He has said things I like and that YOU like, Hawk.

He has said stuff that Hitler could like; that Stalin could like; that Gandhi could like; that Caligula could like; that Jesus could like; that his ex-wives could like.

Christ.

I truly feel sorry for guys like Paul Ryan, John McCain and their like...to have to show anything but contempt for Donald Trump in his bid for the presidency.

It'll all be over soon. For that I am thankful.

I suspect for some...their acquiescence in hindsight will have a bitter taste.

These pictures come to mind:

chamberlain_hitler.jpg

chamberlain-hitler.jpg

In his defense, I can't remember the last time both of those things were found occupying the same individual at the same time.

In his defense, I can't remember the last time both of those things were found occupying the same individual at the same time.

Phew...I hope you never defend me.

Ya no.....his choices where

1) fall in line behind the parties POTUS candidate.

2) resign his chair and leave Congress

The problem is that either it took him a very long time to figure this out or else he tried to run a stupid bluff against Trump, who is the last guy that flim-flam was going to work on.

Yeah, he's got to suffer **** because smart people elected him to office only to have the not so smart put up that fraud named Donald Trump to be his party's nominee.

Ryan has more brains and class in his left ear than Trump could ever hope to have. Ryan, like the rest of us, will suffer. Either we'll have a Democrat masquerading as a Republican in the Oval Office, or we'll lose every damn seat that is up for election on the ballot under said fraud's name.

Thanks for that.

So Ryan is saying that Trump has said things that Ryan feels makes supporting him logical and reasonable.

Wow!

Trump has been on five sides of every issue he has dealt with. Of course he has said things that Ryan likes. He has said things that Bernie Sanders likes. He has said things I like and that YOU like, Hawk.

He has said stuff that Hitler could like; that Stalin could like; that Gandhi could like; that Caligula could like; that Jesus could like; that his ex-wives could like.

Christ.

I truly feel sorry for guys like Paul Ryan, John McCain and their like...to have to show anything but contempt for Donald Trump in his bid for the presidency.

How can you feel sorry for the party elders, the ones who caused the rise of Trump along side the D elite by way of long running enormous incompetence and dishonesty?

Trump represents justice and possible reform.

Last edited:

How can you feel sorry for the party elders, the ones who caused the rise of Trump along side the D elite by long running enormous incompetence and dishonesty?

Trump represents justice and possible reform.

Yeah...like Chris Christie represents healthful living and attractive slimness.

Yeah...like Chris Christie represents healthful living and attractive slimness.

Answer the question...you have spent years claiming that the Washington R elite are lying idiots.....why are you now claiming sympathy for the ones who done it?

... I always appreciate his integrity. He is a class act. But, you have to pick your battles. Refusing to acknowledge Trump as the Republican nominee is not a winner of a battle even though, Trump, as the nominee is not a winner of a candidate.

As to "conservative ideals", its not a big seller, even amongst Republicans.

... I always appreciate his integrity. He is a class act. But, you have to pick your battles. Refusing to acknowledge Trump as the Republican nominee is not a winner of a battle even though, Trump, as the nominee is not a winner of a candidate.

As to "conservative ideals", its not a big seller, even amongst Republicans.

Being a class act but politically ignorant is not a winning combo in the position he holds.

Answer the question...you have spent years claiming that the Washington R elite are lying idiots.....why are you now claiming sympathy for the ones who done it?

I would say that if you searched EVERY post I ever made here in DP...or in Abuzz, or in Open Salon, or in A2K...you would NEVER FIND ONE POST where I claimed that the Washington R elite are lying idiots.

NEVER...anywhere.

So your charge that I have spent years doing it...is a really GROSS exaggeration.

My sympathy for any Republican official who feels obligated to support Donald Trump for the office of President of the United States is sincere...whether you can accept that or not, Hawk.

Party above all else.

Back
Top Bottom