• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paul Ryan Disavows Trump's Attack on Judge's 'Mexican Heritage'

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

One day after endorsing Donald Trump, House Speaker Paul Ryan disavowed the presumptive Republican presidential nominee's accusations of bias against the judge in the Trump University case because of his "Mexican heritage."

"It's reasoning I don't relate to. I completely disagree with the thinking behind that," Ryan said.

And in an interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Friday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Trump should be doing more to unite Republicans. Though McConnell said he was unfamiliar with Trump's comments about the judge, he called the real estate mogul's attacks on New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez "completely unfortunate and unnecessary."

And this story came out just a few moments before Megyn Kelly began her show where she intended to discuss the Paul Ryan Endorsement. Trump's blatantly racist attack on a sitting federal court judge merely because he ruled against Trump leading to this epic rant.

Seriously, how can anyone look at this guy and the way he handles anything remotely perceived as a personal attack and think that he will react any differently around world leaders. To want such a thin-skinned man around the nuclear codes?

I guess we finally figured out what Trumpet supporters actually wanted when they said they want Trump to blow it up.

hqdefault.jpg

For those who would rather read Megyn's rant, here you go:

First of all, people are saying that this judge is a member of La Raza, the group that's been protesting Donald Trump. He isn't. He's a member of a Hispanic lawyers association that has no partisan stripes whatsoever. They support Hispanic lawyers and judges. That's it. So let's be clear on that.

Secondly, the man is not Mexican. Donald Trump keeps saying he is. He's American. His parents are Mexican. He's of Mexican heritage. He was born in Indiana.

Third, he has no conflict of interest, Bill. Now Donald Trump is saying the judge needs to be investigated, someone should look into him. Just because he's ruled against Donald Trump in this litigation repeatedly — he certified the class, and he denied the motion for summary judgment — that doesn't make you biased. It doesn't! …

[The Ryan endorsement] was going to be what we talked about tonight until this news broke moments ago: that Trump continues to attack a sitting federal judge, who, by the way, did a lot to fight the drug cartels when he was a prosecutor, based on his ethnicity, suggesting he has an inherent — inherent! — conflict of interest because of his heritage. "A Hispanic cannot judge a case against me": that is what Trump is saying — explicitly.

Or this from the Volokh Conspiracy as printed in the Washington Post a few days ago

It is a disgrace. It is a rigged system. I had a rigged system, except we won by so much. This court system, the judges in this court system, federal court. They ought to look into Judge Curiel because what Judge Curiel is doing is a total disgrace. Ok? But we will come back in November. Wouldn’t that be wild if I am president and come back and do a civil case? Where everybody likes it.

Ok. This is called life, folks. . . .

No, this is called “authoritarianism.” It’s what Berlusconi sounded like, what Chávez sounded like and what Perón sounded like — for that matter, it’s what Sulla and Caesar and the others who helped destroy the world’s first great republic sounded like: I am bigger than the law, I AM THE LAW.

Full article is here and fwiw I think David Post hits the nail right on the head.

On Donald Trump and the Rule of Law

And this story came out just a few moments before Megyn Kelly began her show where she intended to discuss the Paul Ryan Endorsement. Trump's blatantly racist attack on a sitting federal court judge merely because he ruled against Trump leading to this epic rant.

Seriously, how can anyone look at this guy and the way he handles anything remotely perceived as a personal attack and think that he will react any differently around world leaders. To want such a thin-skinned man around the nuclear codes?

I guess we finally figured out what Trumpet supporters actually wanted when they said they want Trump to blow it up.

View attachment 67202209

Ryan 2020.

Trump's blatantly racist attack ...

Clearly you do not not know what "racist" is.

Secondly, the Judge has ties to an organization who's President made false comment against Trump and was derogatory against the GOP.

Last edited:
Do you really think that's on his mind?

hes only 46 even if he waits until 2036 to run for president, he would still be younger than trump

Clearly you do not not know what "racist" is.

Secondly, the Judge has ties to an organization who is publicly against Trump.

Got a link?

Do you really think that's on his mind?

Over the next year, when things potentially settle down a bit for him and he's better able to shape the House, it is more than possible. If one presumes that the GOP is tossing aside Kasich, Christie, Walker, and Paul, Paul Ryan is one of the GOP's strongest remaining assets. His main competitors could be Niki Haley, Martinez, or folks like Pence. But remember that Paul Ryan has basically been the GOP's bail money since 2012 (first as Obama ideas competitor, second as Romney's assurance to the base, third as Speaker). If he isn't going to be a huge candidate, you can bet much of the party will see him as a potential Kingmaker.

Last edited:
I am really trying to pinpoint the moment in time when the majority of people lost their god damn minds.

Really.

First of all, Megyn, you anorexic beast, being a part of an organization which shows partiality, which in this case is Latino's does make you a partisan.

Second, Megan, with your dumb ass spelled name that I have to keep going back and fixing after my spell check changes it, the man is Mexican if he has Mexican parents and Mexican heritage the same as I am a German or Bill O'reilly is Irish -- you're making an asinine argument about a distinction which defies common understanding and usage to pic nits and throw yourself into the lime light yet again. You're a glory whore.

Third Megyn, perhaps a review of the trial needs to take place and will should Trump lose, it's called an appeal. You're giving an opinion, your opinion which is meaning less and less that dog **** every day you open your nutritionally deprived mouth.

You then, Megyn, do the very same thing that you're accusing Trump of, but actually doing it!!!! Making a point that this judge can't possibly be biased because was battling drug cartels as if there would be some predisposed reason for him not to? What would that be? Because he's Mexican?

"Look!! LOOK!!!! He fought his own kind over drugs!!!! He can't possibly be biased!!!"

I mean for **** sake.....seriously...

Got a link?
I was editing while you were posting.
But here is the link between the Judge and the group called La Raza.
Or would you like a link to the article where the President of La Raza openly was derogatory to Trump and the GOP?

Is Trump just supposed to accept that a supporter of La Raza is not biased as well?
I surely wouldn't.

I am really trying to pinpoint the moment in time when the majority of people lost their god damn minds.

Really.

First of all, Megyn, you anorexic beast, being a part of an organization which shows partiality, which in this case is Latino's does make you a partisan.

Second, Megan, with your dumb ass spelled name that I have to keep going back and fixing after my spell check changes it, the man is Mexican if he has Mexican parents and Mexican heritage the same as I am a German or Bill O'reilly is Irish -- you're making an asinine argument about a distinction which defies common understanding and usage to pic nits and throw yourself into the lime light yet again. You're a glory whore.

Third Megyn, perhaps a review of the trial needs to take place and will should Trump lose, it's called an appeal. You're giving an opinion, your opinion which is meaning less and less that dog **** every day you open your nutritionally deprived mouth.

You then, Megyn, do the very same thing that you're accusing Trump of, but actually doing it!!!! Making a point that this judge can't possibly be biased because was battling drug cartels as if there would be some predisposed reason for him not to? What would that be? Because he's Mexican?

"Look!! LOOK!!!! He fought his own kind over drugs!!!! He can't possibly be biased!!!"

Why hasn't Trump's lawyers filed a petition for the Judge to recuse himself

Or would you like a link to the article where the President of La Raza openly was derogatory to Trump and the GOP?

Is Trump just supposed to accept that a supporter of La Raza is not biased as well?
I surely wouldn't.

First, not the same LA Raza.

Second, why hasn't Trump's lawyers filed a petition for the judge to recuse himself?

Third, Trump is claiming that a Mexican family linkage means that a judge has an inherent bias against Trump. You support that belief?

I surely wouldn't.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
I was about to post this "In addition".
I will post it here as a reply.

In addition to the above.

The La Raza Lawyers Association has tried to distance their self from the National Council of La Raza by saying the following.
“Our organization has not been involved in organizing any of the anti-Trump rallies, much less encouraged our members or anyone to participate in any illegal activity,”

That doesn't say there isn't a connection between the two organizations.
But even if there isn't an actual connection between the two, the Lawyers Association still has handed out scholarships to illegals which Trump is against.

View attachment 67202209

"It's reasoning I don't relate to. I completely disagree with the thinking behind that," Ryan said.

Ryan can disagree with it til the cows come home. That xenophobic isolationism is the surfboard Trump is riding to the Presidency on.

First, not the same LA Raza.
Never said they were the same organization.

Second, why hasn't Trump's lawyers filed a petition for the judge to recuse himself?
You need to ask his lawyers that.
For all anyone knows his lawyers may believe that even though the Judge has an apparent conflict of interest with the person he is presiding in a case over, their chances at a win are not influenced by it.
So again as no one know what they are thinking you should ask them, not me.

Third, Trump is claiming that a Mexican family linkage means that a judge has an inherent bias against Trump. You support that belief?
The Judge sat on a board granting scholarships, at least one of which was to an openly illegal.
Of course there is a conflict when one is for illegals and one is against.

The Judge sat on a board granting scholarships, at least one of which was to an openly illegal.

so if a judge was giving money to an irish or italian scholarship fund it would be okay to call him racist, or is this rule just for hispanics?

Never said they were the same organization.

You need to ask his lawyers that.
For all anyone knows his lawyers may believe that even though the Judge has an apparent conflict of interest with the person he is presiding in a case over, their chances at a win are not influenced by it.
So again as no one know what they are thinking you should ask them, not me.

There is no conflict of interest that has been demonstrated when presiding over a trial about business fraud, however.

so if a judge was giving money to an irish or italian scholarship fund it would be okay to call him racist, or is this rule just for hispanics?
Racist? What are you talking about?
I was addressing an apparent conflict of interest.
If a Judge who supported that were presiding over a case of an individual who was adamantly opposed to doing such, the conflict would be implied.

Racist? What are you talking about?
I was addressing an apparent conflict of interest.
If a Judge who supported that were presiding over a case of an individual who was adamantly opposed to doing such, the conflict would be implied.

than mexican heritage has nothing to do with it, trump said his mexican heritage is a conflict of interest because hes building a wall, which im assuming he means a muslim judge, a liberal judge, a black judge, a female judge also wouldnt be able to preside over his case, either

Really.

But, Megyn Kelly isn't running for President. Big difference.

than mexican heritage has nothing to do with it, trump said his mexican heritage is a conflict of interest because hes building a wall, which im assuming he means a muslim judge, a liberal judge, a black judge, a female judge also wouldnt be able to preside over his case, either
You are not addressing what was said. That is called being non-responsive.

You spoke to your scholarship question which has absolutely nothing to do with your racist comment.

I answered that question. Yes there would be a conflict of interest.

Trump will find something wrong with any judge that rules aginst him, just like he finds something wrong with anyone who says anything he doesnt like.
He is a very thin skinned egotistical small minded loser.

just like he finds something wrong with anyone who says anything he doesnt like.
Ah hello?
That is the norm for most people.

Hell, that is basically the basis behind everyone's dislike of Trump. Something he said.

Back
Top Bottom