• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Paul Ryan admits Trump is racist... still going to support him

Crovax

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
“I disavow these comments,” Ryan said. “Claiming a person can’t do the job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment. I think that should be absolutely disavowed. It’s absolutely unacceptable.”

But the Wisconsin Republican, who endorsed Trump last week, said he still supports him.

Paul Ryan rips Trump comments as 'textbook definition of racist'

If Ryan ever wants to advance farther he's going to need to grow a spine

I don't know, I think he's fudged. This is a day and age of Party Support, Party Politics, Party Unity. Free-thinking isn't encouraged or rewarded. So as much as the GOP may be chagrined with a Trump nomination, they have no choice but to back him. This is what single party control looks like in the end, put up crap...gotta endorse crap. Otherwise the other side may momentarily win.

I don't know, I think he's fudged. This is a day and age of Party Support, Party Politics, Party Unity. Free-thinking isn't encouraged or rewarded. So as much as the GOP may be chagrined with a Trump nomination, they have no choice but to back him. This is what single party control looks like in the end, put up crap...gotta endorse crap. Otherwise the other side may momentarily win.

I don't know about that I will never vote for anyone who supported Trump and I know quite a few that feel the same.

I don't know about that I will never vote for anyone who supported Trump and I know quite a few that feel the same.

You're not alone, but I think this is the dynamic that really brings to light this sort of Party dynamic. Ryan has to endorse Trump because Trump is the Party's nominee. I think many GOP loyalists are scratching their heads, but this exemplifies everything people have been saying about Main Party Stagnation.

I would suggest that you look into Gary Johnson.

You're not alone, but I think this is the dynamic that really brings to light this sort of Party dynamic. Ryan has to endorse Trump because Trump is the Party's nominee. I think many GOP loyalists are scratching their heads, but this exemplifies everything people have been saying about Main Party Stagnation.

I would suggest that you look into Gary Johnson.

#FeeltheJohnson

#FeeltheJohnson

haha, I mean, I won't delude myself into chances or probabilities of his success. But honestly, he is much better than either Trump or Hillary and if you're interested, you should check him out. Don't vote party, vote platform. Who do you think is the best? It may not be Johnson, but you should vote for who you think is best, not who is in what party.

Its pretty funny how these people like Paul Ryan and the Bushes think their opinion holds authority. In reality, when seeing these lizard people getting their panties in a bunch over Trump, the average person would be even more inclined to support him.

Party above all else.

The sad fact is that having a racist for president is far better than having Hillary.

Let me see. Trump attempts to show that he isn't racist by eating a taco bowl at Trump Tower during Cinco de Mayo. I wonder what he's going to eat during Gay Pride Day, in order to court the LGBT vote. :mrgreen:

He has said that it's not his job to comment on everything Trump says. That's not his job. He's Speaker of the House. That's his job. He's not the leader of the GOP and doesn't run "the party."

He IS a prominent, VIP Republican, though, so what he says carries weight. But he is likely to go along with whoever the nominee is. Whatever Trump is or says, Trump has won the nominee process legally. The voters nominated him in the primaries. It's not for Ryan to go against whoever the voters have chosen, he has said.

He has said that it's not his job to comment on everything Trump says. That's not his job. He's Speaker of the House. That's his job. He's not the leader of the GOP and doesn't run "the party."

Ryan is currently the highest elected member of the GOP so he is the defacto leader

He IS a prominent, VIP Republican, though, so what he says carries weight. But he is likely to go along with whoever the nominee is. Whatever Trump is or says, Trump has won the nominee process legally. The voters nominated him in the primaries. It's not for Ryan to go against whoever the voters have chosen, he has said.

Well then hes a moron. It is for him to say if he thinks the nomiee is unfit to be president, thats exactly the point of a republican govt to avoid the tyrany of the majority

Let me see. Trump attempts to show that he isn't racist by eating a taco bowl at Trump Tower during Cinco de Mayo. I wonder what he's going to eat during Gay Pride Day, in order to court the LGBT vote. :mrgreen:

I hope it rhymes with buck a rock

I am not a Trump supporter. And I don't believe Trump is a racist. He is quite unrefined, especially for a billionaire, and he does have a habit of making statements that can be easily taken the wrong way. And you are right, Ryan does need to grow a spine...even if it just means keeping his mouth shut at times. In effect what he is doing with constant criticism of Trump is campaigning for Hillary.

Almost sounds to me like Ryan cares more about 2020 than 2016.

Racism is a serious flaw in a political candidate. But in a system dominated by "the lesser of two evils", it's not necessarily the worst flaw a candidate could have.

Its pretty funny how these people like Paul Ryan and the Bushes think their opinion holds authority. In reality, when seeing these lizard people getting their panties in a bunch over Trump, the average person would be even more inclined to support him.

At this point in time, you are right. The only reason for Trump's success is the fact that the conservative base is pissed as hell at the republican establishment.

Ryan is currently the highest elected member of the GOP so he is the defacto leader

Well then hes a moron. It is for him to say if he thinks the nomiee is unfit to be president, thats exactly the point of a republican govt to avoid the tyrany of the majority

Ryan as Speaker of the House is the leader of the House of representatives. He is not the boss of the republican party. No republican politician needs his permission to endorse or un-endorse Trump.

Ryan as Speaker of the House is the leader of the House of representatives. He is not the boss of the republican party. No republican politician needs his permission to endorse or un-endorse Trump.

I never claimed either of those things

Almost sounds to me like Ryan cares more about 2020 than 2016.

Which would be wrongheaded. As much as I dislike Trump, if Hillary is elected, the republican party's next real shot at the white house will not come until 2024. Destorying the republican party's nominee is not going to help increase their numbers in congress.

He disagrees with you. He said that Priebus is the head of the RNC and in charge of these things.

Ryan said his job is to work for the cohesiveness of the party, to keep the party together, and do his job as Speaker, which is to work on budget matters, etc. He said that Trump has legally gotten the votes needed to be the nominee. He won't argue against what the voters have voted for. He also said whatever the delegates do at the convention is not his business, but Priebus', as long as things are legal.

It's not an opinion thing. Its just a factual thing. He doesn't run the Republican Party and is not, as you put it, the "de facto leader." Few leaders would go against whoever their constituents have elected. What he can do is what he has done, which is give his opinion on specific comments, when asked...and he does that to clarify the those statements don't represent the Republican Party as a whole.

A racist statement is not that big a deal for the Republican Party, because...well, you know. People already assume that many Republicans are racist but just watch what they say.

Last edited:
Party above all else.
Thats a very telling statement coming from a Bernie supporter that will line up with all the rest to pull the lever for Hillary, despite the obviously wrecked political joke that was the democrat primary.

Back
Top Bottom