• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paul McCartney: Lay Off “Great Guy” Obama

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
Paul McCartney: Lay Off

Quote(Paul McCartney would like President Obama's critics to let him be.

“I’m a big fan, he’s a great guy. So lay off him, he’s doing great,” the British songsmith said on Tuesday, ABC News reported.)

He (Paul McCartney) is as is everyone else, entitled to his opinion.

McCartney once had an opinion of his now ex-wife that is as profound as that which he ostensibly has for Obama, that opinion cost him a considerable chunk of his fortune.

Perhaps he should stick with music and leave his pronouncements at home.

Certainly Obama would dearly love it were his critics to cease their criticism of him and his policies, he would likely then be able to claim that the majority of America is behind him and what he is aiming to do to America.

I have no idea why anyone EVER cares what a musician's opinions on politics are.

Maybe I should ask Bono's opinion on a plumbing problem while we're at it...

Did you ever consider he might be talking about the people who are continually critisize him for crap that isn't real? You know nutjobs that said the President was out to put grandma down?

But spin spin spin juju, I know you hate Obama, I get it. Cool.

I have no idea why anyone EVER cares what a musician's opinions on politics are.

While I agree on principle, Sir Paul can actually vote in the house of lords, so he actually has some relevance in politics.

While I agree on principle, Sir Paul can actually vote in the house of lords, so he actually has some relevance in politics.

Fine, let him comment on the house of lords. What do we care what he thinks of obama, or the U.S.?

Rathi, are you sure about that? I am no expert on the Brit nobility, but it was my understanding that in order to vote in the House of Lords, you have to be a peer, or Lord. I'm a little vague on exactly what that means, but I'm pretty sure you have to be at least a Baron or an Earl to be a peer.

I'm reasonably sure Sir Paul is simply a knight. Right? Somebody British clear this up?

So should Senator McCain be able to give valid opinion about Timoshenko's elections over there in commieland? Does that give him some sort of lucid omniscience?

If I want to know what some burned-out English hippie thinks, I'll ask.

Maybe I should ask Bono's opinion on a plumbing problem while we're at it...

Or we could ask Vin Diesel what he thinks of you...

The joke is, musicians with that level of success (Bono, McCartney) are better traveled, have seen more of the world and understand the complexities of issues more so that many posters at DP.

The joke is, musicians with that level of success (Bono, McCartney) are better traveled, have seen more of the world and understand the complexities of issues more so that many posters at DP.

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to your post, but here goes...

I have no idea what Vin Diesel's politics are. I don't care. He's an actor whose work I have found entertaining. I use him as my avatar because a friend told me, after I started shaving my head, that I was going for the "Vin Diesel look". That's it.

Paul McCartney is a musician and isn't American. Why I should consider his opinion on a US Prez to be of any significance is beyond me. So he's well-travelled... so are a lot of people. Big deal.

I have no idea what Vin Diesel's politics are. I don't care. He's an actor whose work I have found entertaining. I use him as my avatar because a friend told me, after I started shaving my head, that I was going for the "Vin Diesel look". That's it.

Paul McCartney is a musician and isn't American. Why I should consider his opinion on a US Prez to be of any significance is beyond me. So he's well-travelled... so are a lot of people. Big deal.
Sir Paul is so smart and so world wise he managed to get himself arrested and jailed because he was too stoned to recall where he was landing with his stash at. But yeah, we need to pay attention to him because he understands the complexities and issues of the world.:lamo

Courtney Love is 'well travelled'. So is Britney Spears. I dont want em running (nor influencing) my country. But...the nice part is it is often amusing to see which people defend the assclowns.

He might be useful if you have a toilet problem considering the fact that he's full of ****. :mrgreen:

Bono is onstage clapping slowly and sonorously declaring.....
'Every time I clap (pause) my hands (pause) a child dies in Africa.'
At which point an unusually intelligent person in the audience shouts 'Well, stop f**king clapping, you idiot!!'

Q: How come U2 still hasn't found what they're looking for?
A: Because the streets have no names.

When Warren Zevon died, he was surprised to find himself in rock-n-roll heaven. St. Peter was showing him around, introducing him to all the departed rock stars. Visiting a fantastic music studio, he saw Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John Bonham, Mama Cass, etc., etc.
Suddenly, with a flourish, Bono walked into the studio and joined in the jam.
Zevon gasped to St. Peter: 'I didn't know Bono died!'
'Oh no,' replied Peter 'That's God - he just THINKS he's Bono.'

Link
Paul McCartney: Lay Off

Quote(Paul McCartney would like President Obama's critics to let him be.

“I’m a big fan, he’s a great guy. So lay off him, he’s doing great,” the British songsmith said on Tuesday, ABC News reported.)

He (Paul McCartney) is as is everyone else, entitled to his opinion.

McCartney once had an opinion of his now ex-wife that is as profound as that which he ostensibly has for Obama, that opinion cost him a considerable chunk of his fortune.

Perhaps he should stick with music and leave his pronouncements at home.

Certainly Obama would dearly love it were his critics to cease their criticism of him and his policies, he would likely then be able to claim that the majority of America is behind him and what he is aiming to do to America.

Ok, sure, Paul! good buddy ole pal - yeah. I'll like him now that you've opened your mouth and said something.

Oh wait - LOL - I forgot, I don't care what entertainers think!

No he most certainly cannot.

Only elected or appointed Peers may sit and vote in the House of Lords, which in my opinion should be abolished.

I like Vin Diesel too.

And Bono/Mccartney have access. They've seen more of the world, know people in power, and a have a legitimate perspective that is relevant. Period.

Not every entertainer can say that, granted, but denying their personal contribution and philanthropy would be ignorant. Not saying you're doing that.

But this thread seems to be another "tell the celebs to stfu" which I normally agree with. But with an elite group who have done more to improve the quality of life of many people, I'm humbled by their 'good works' and their opinion on things is fine with me.

Yes, only Americans should have freedom of speech. The rest of the world, especially Yurp, is too liberal for freedom of speech. This country was founded on Christian values, so only American Christians who have been washed in the blood of Jesus should have freedom of speech. ****ing commie bastards.:roll:

I heard Obi got really animated and started dancing wildly when Paul broke out with "Back in the USSR".

Insider accounts say they hadn't seen Obi like this since the day of the styrofoam Greek columns speech.

Last edited:
I like Vin Diesel too.

And Bono/Mccartney have access. They've seen more of the world, know people in power, and a have a legitimate perspective that is relevant. Period.

Not every entertainer can say that, granted, but denying their personal contribution and philanthropy would be ignorant. Not saying you're doing that.

But this thread seems to be another "tell the celebs to stfu" which I normally agree with. But with an elite group who have done more to improve the quality of life of many people, I'm humbled by their 'good works' and their opinion on things is fine with me.

Would you agree, then, that these conservative entertainers also have / had "access" and a "legitimate perspective that is relevant"?: Ronald Reagan, Charlton Heston, Fred Thompson, Audie Murphy, Chuck Norris, Gary Sinise, James Stewart, Clark Gable, etc....

Equally "humbled" by their opinions?

Last edited:
Yes, only Americans should have freedom of speech. The rest of the world, especially Yurp, is too liberal for freedom of speech. This country was founded on Christian values, so only American Christians who have been washed in the blood of Jesus should have freedom of speech. ****ing commie bastards.:roll:

Freedom of speech is protected by our Constitution. The other countries out there, well, not so much.

Not sure why you went off on your Christian (xtian to you) bashing diatribe, but such is life at DP.

I love how folks like Bono and McCartney talk like Libs but when it is THEIR cash, they sign on to schemes divised by clever tax attorneys, and employ the most capitalistic methods to shelter their money from taxation. And Paul has been at this from the early years...1963.

Among other reasons, Linda McCartney’s Will is interesting because she uses testamentary trusts to virtually eliminate federal estate taxes, at least while her husband, Paul McCartney, is alive.
Last Will and Testament of Linda McCartney

The Beatles' accountants had informed the group that they had a large amount of capital which they could either invest in a business venture or else lose to the Inland Revenue.
Apple Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note. I particularly like the choice of words... "LOSE..."

Gimme Tax Shelter
Gimme Tax Shelter - New York Times

Rolling Stones follow U2 tax haven trail to the Netherlands - home to 20,000 mailbox companies
Rolling Stones follow U2 tax haven trail to the Netherlands - home to 20,000 mailbox companies

It's only tax planning, but I like it
Rolling Stones make use of Dutch tax haven - MoneyWeek

Bono, Who Preaches Charity, Profits From Buyouts, Tax Breaks
Bono, Who Preaches Charity, Profits From Buyouts, Tax Breaks - Bloomberg.com

I have nothing against this, but I do find the hypocrisy so rich.

Last edited:

That's wonderful, but the House of Lords has no affect on Obama. We settled that about 230 years ago.

Last edited:
Freedom of speech is protected by our Constitution. The other countries out there, well, not so much.

Not sure why you went off on your Christian (xtian to you) bashing diatribe, but such is life at DP.

Show me where I bashed christians. When I said ****ing commie bastards I was talking about the dope smoking liberal retards who think they deserve freedom of speech. You can go to a hundred christian websites and read just about what I wrote.

So what's your problem about being washed in the blood of Jesus?

Perhaps Bono can give Obi a lesson in Capitalism.
Lord knows he needs one badly.
`U2 are arch-capitalists -- arch-capitalists -- but it looks as if they're not,'' says Jim Aiken, a music promoter who helped stage U2 concerts in Ireland during the 1980s and 1990s.

Minimizing Taxes

Murphy points to the band's decision to move its music publishing company to the Netherlands from Ireland in June 2006 in order to minimize taxes. The move came six months before Ireland ended an exemption on musicians' royalty income, which is generally untaxed in the Netherlands.

``This is somebody who's exceptionally rich taking the opportunity to shift his tax burden to somebody else, but then asking governments around the world to spend that tax take in the way that he would like,'' Murphy says.

Bono, Who Preaches Charity, Profits From Buyouts, Tax Breaks - Bloomberg.com
Yeah. I say he wins the Celebrity Asshat Hypocrite award.
Love their music though... even Pop.

Last edited:
Would you agree, then, that these conservative entertainers also have / had "access" and a "legitimate perspective that is relevant"?: Ronald Reagan, Charlton Heston, Fred Thompson, Audie Murphy, Chuck Norris, Gary Sinise, James Stewart, Clark Gable, etc....

Equally "humbled" by their opinions?

You forgot Ted Nugent.

Back
Top Bottom