• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Patti Davis, Ronald Reagan’s Daughter, Denounces Trump’s Second Amendment Insinuation

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Ronald Reagan's Daughter Patti Davis Denounces Donald Trump.
To Donald Trump: I am the daughter of a man who was shot by someone who got his inspiration from a movie, someone who believed if he killed the President the actress from that movie would notice him. Your glib and horrifying comment about "Second Amendment people" was heard around the world. It was heard by sane and decent people who shudder at your fondness for verbal violence. It was heard by your supporters, many of whom gleefully and angrily yell, "Lock her up!" at your rallies. It was heard by the person sitting alone in a room, locked in his own dark fantasies, who sees unbridled violence as a way to make his mark in the world, and is just looking for ideas. Yes, Mr. Trump, words matter. But then you know that, which makes this all even more horrifying.
She's right, he's attracting all sorts of unstable individual's. His idiotic rhetoric is going to motivate some unstable individual/s to do some serious damage.

Re: Patti Davis, Ronald Reagan’s Daughter, Denounces Trump’s Second Amendment Insinua

Good for her. Thanks for this news item.

Re: Patti Davis, Ronald Reagan’s Daughter, Denounces Trump’s Second Amendment Insinua

I can't believe how many people defend him without being able to provide an actual explanation for what he said.
The people that defend him like what he said. They find hateful rhetoric a positive character trait. "He shoots from the hip and tells it like it is". To others it's entertainment. Their little TV reality show guy said something outrageous.

Invoking Patti Davis as a roundabout Reagan nod shows folks have no recall whatsoever of her relationship with her father. Politically or otherwise.

Ronald Reagan's Daughter Patti Davis Denounces Donald Trump. She's right, he's attracting all sorts of unstable individual's. His idiotic rhetoric is going to motivate some unstable individual/s to do some serious damage.

I think her comments are worthy of being written. She has a valid point. And even if Trump wasn't meaning it in the context that she is taking it, it is a discussion which needs to be had. But I would also argue that people who are mentally unstable like the shooter for Reagan, will find messages in a bowl of milk. My point is, we can't blame ever person's action on the words of someone else. Biggest problem we have in this world today. People need to take responsibility for themselves!

I think her comments are worthy of being written. She has a valid point. And even if Trump wasn't meaning it in the context that she is taking it, it is a discussion which needs to be had. But I would also argue that people who are mentally unstable like the shooter for Reagan, will find messages in a bowl of milk. My point is, we can't blame ever person's action on the words of someone else. Biggest problem we have in this world today. People need to take responsibility for themselves!
And politicians need to take responsibility for their words and should choose them carefully.

The people that defend him like what he said. They find hateful rhetoric a positive character trait. "He shoots from the hip and tells it like it is". To others it's entertainment. Their little TV reality show guy said something outrageous.

Then why can't they be honest and say it was a bad joke ?

The whole thing seems surreal.

Ronald Reagan's Daughter Patti Davis Denounces Donald Trump. She's right, he's attracting all sorts of unstable individual's. His idiotic rhetoric is going to motivate some unstable individual/s to do some serious damage.

She's absolutely right, but Patti Davis had a horrific relationship with her father. Let's not forget about the ugly things she wrote about him, her constant yammering to anyone who would listen to her criticize him. That woman sold letters her father wrote her, PRIVATE letters expressing his anguish and displaying his broken heart over the words she was using to disparage him, and professing his deep love for her in spite of everything she did and was doing to hurt him. She even accused her mother of abusing her. Her opinion on anything means absolutely nothing, and for her to invoke her father's name is downright insulting.

Invoking Patti Davis as a roundabout Reagan nod shows folks have no recall whatsoever of her relationship with her father. Politically or otherwise.

I realize that her relationship with her father was rocky, but that doesn't mean that she didn't love and respect the man nor care about what happened to him. Knowing that your father was nearly assassinated has to be devastating no matter how difficult your relationship with him might have been.

As little as I think of that man, he is not the real problem. Both candidates as well as BS are so bad that it is hard to believe. That much is true. But the real horror is the number of voters that gave them their votes.

Can't handle truth. So slime the source. Check.

I can't believe how many people defend him without being able to provide an actual explanation for what he said.

It was a throwaway remark by Trump, just a quip made in passing, but the kind that the vultures on the Left are eagerly seeking to magnify at every opportunity.

Whenever somebody writes a piece like this it always reminds of one very important thing. The POTUS cannot afford to be anti-PC. When the president speaks he speaks to all of America and the rest of the world. For all of the complaining about how divisive President Obama has been he has publicly spoken about most issues in an even handed way. I don't think Trump is capable of that even with his teleprompter.

Why should I (or anyone for that matter) care what Patti Davis has to say? How is her opinion any more relevant than any of ours?

Can't handle truth. So slime the source. Check.

I did that too. She broke her father's heart, literally and figuratively. She is invoking her father's name to jab at Trump. I also enjoy jabbing at Trump and agree wholeheartedly with what she says. That doesn't change the fact that it's insulting to read her words about a man she publicly humiliated and attacked, and who she profited off of, for a very long time.

Why should I (or anyone for that matter) care what Patti Davis has to say? How is her opinion any more relevant than any of ours?

I'd rather hear what Ronald Reagan's ghost has to say about Trump, honestly.

It was a throwaway remark by Trump, just a quip made in passing, but the kind that the vultures on the Left are eagerly seeking to magnify at every opportunity.

The definition of "quip" is a witty remark. What exactly was witty about his remark?

Then why can't they be honest and say it was a bad joke ?

The whole thing seems surreal.

because then that means he was "joking about murdering hillary clinton" which is bad, which is why his supporters seem to be going with the lie that he meant "they could vote", but that doesn't make any sense since he was talking about after she got elected

so what they have to do now is stall and delay, and 2 days from now have trump use a racial slur, or accuse a female world leader of being on her period or something, and the media will all be talking about that next. Then if anyone ever brings this up in the future they just have to pick one of those two excuses, then dismiss the accusation, then change the subject

Do you remember he said he was going to build some kind of wall? whatever happened to that?

I'd rather hear what Ronald Reagan's ghost has to say about Trump, honestly.

Say what you want about Reagan's politics; I happen to love them but know many others didn't. Reagan has more class laying in his grave today than that crass, ignorant boor will ever hope to have in his entire lifetime.

Kinda sorta..

So, how much violence have you seen from the Right vs. the Left?

Say what you want about Reagan's politics; I happen to love them but know many others didn't. Reagan has more class laying in his grave today than that crass, ignorant boor will ever hope to have in his entire lifetime.

We agree on that.

Back
Top Bottom