• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Patriots at the gate... Americans preparing for battle against govt...

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
REDMOND, Ore. — B.J. Soper took aim with his AR-15 semiautomatic rifle and fired a dozen shots at a human silhouette target. Soper’s wife and their 16-year-old daughter practiced drawing pistols. Then Soper helped his 4-year-old daughter, in pink sneakers and a ponytail, work on her marksmanship with a .22-caliber rifle.
“The intent is to be able to work together and defend ourselves if we need to,” said Soper, 40, a building contractor who is an emerging leader in a growing national movement rooted in distrust of the federal government, one that increasingly finds itself in armed conflicts with authorities.

These ‘patriots’ want to protect the Constitution…by any means necessary | The Washington Post

REDMOND, Ore. — B.J. Soper took aim with his AR-15 semiautomatic rifle and fired a dozen shots at a human silhouette target. Soper’s wife and their 16-year-old daughter practiced drawing pistols. Then Soper helped his 4-year-old daughter, in pink sneakers and a ponytail, work on her marksmanship with a .22-caliber rifle.
“The intent is to be able to work together and defend ourselves if we need to,” said Soper, 40, a building contractor who is an emerging leader in a growing national movement rooted in distrust of the federal government, one that increasingly finds itself in armed conflicts with authorities.

These ‘patriots’ want to protect the Constitution…by any means necessary | The Washington Post

Aren't there laws against forming paramilitary organizations?

In any case there should be, open sedition should not be tolerated.

Good for them, as long as they don't go over the line.

They aren't seditioning or forming paramilitary organizations. They are preparing themselves against the day that the use of force becomes necessary.

It's not open sedition...it's just preparing for the inevitable.

There are many folks who don't vocalize their practices and intentions on social media and keep it close knit, between friends and families.

If there are a 1,000 groups that they know of, there are probably hundreds more....unknown. Some folks like to keep it on the down and low.

They aren't seditioning or forming paramilitary organizations. They are preparing themselves against the day that the use of force becomes necessary.

Exactly!

I am still content under our current form of government which is why I haven't felt the need to arm myself...yet.

However, I have noticed a growing trend towards suppression of individual rights in order to protect people from being offended, or afraid, or whatever.

This freedom from offense, freedom from the possibility of dangers, this nanny-state make sure everyone makes nice-nice and self-regulates their freedoms.

I appear to have a slightly higher tolerance level than the OP cited group...but I have no problem with what they are doing because at some point in time I might find myself doing the same thing. Only not so openly.

Last edited:

It's not open sedition...it's just preparing for the inevitable.

There are many folks who don't vocalize their practices and intentions on social media and keep it close knit, between friends and families.

If there are a 1,000 groups that they know of, there are probably hundreds more....unknown. Some folks like to keep it on the down and low.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

However you phrase it, people planning for shootouts with the police, are seditious. It's insane that that behavior is tolerated.

I got no problem with anybody practicing their rights, learning how to shoot and safety, I carry myself. There's also nothign wrong with being ready and prepared. I think their actual concerns, time which they think there fears are happening and sense of urgency based on it is bat **** insane but as long as they break no laws hey, to each their own. They are being watched and that's good enough.

However you phrase it, people planning for shootouts with the police, are seditious. It's insane that that behavior is tolerated.

Preparing to defend yourself is not against the law, and most of these groups are not advocating overthrow of the government by force.

In some states like California it is indeed a state felony to organize, drill, train, lead, and participate in a militia.

In other states like Michigan it obviously is not.

If like in New Orleans after Katrina anybody came to my door to try and take my guns, guess what would happen ??

If like in New Orleans after Katrina anybody came to my door to try and take my guns, guess what would happen ??

Those were Blackwater contractors.
You might even call them "privatized law enforcement", except for one small detail. They weren't sworn officers and their targets were law abiding citizens who had a right to own and keep their guns, which were in their private homes.

Preparing to defend yourself is not against the law, and most of these groups are not advocating overthrow of the government by force.

Preparing to kill cops should be illegal.

But in the DOI Jefferson claims that any legitimate government derives its just powers from the consent of the governed, and that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of those ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it.

Now what?

Patriots at the gate... Americans preparing for battle against govt...

not really. i'm preparing for lunch and golf. as for the OP, advocating armed rebellion is ridiculous when

a. we hold free elections every couple of years

b. the government would put down a rebellion in short order. the difference in firepower and manpower is just crushing.

c. most people are just going to watch it on tv and then change the channel when a celebrity farts.

sorry, you're going to have to work within the process. as for me, i'd like to see political parties banned so that candidates have to run on their own ideas. also probably not going to happen.

Oklahoma City is a perfect example. Blowing up a building full of innocent people goes well over the line.

The question is, how is "the line" defined, and who gets to define it?

The question is, how is "the line" defined, and who gets to define it?

Once again, when your actions kill hundreds of innocent people, it goes over the line of both common morality and justice.

not really. i'm preparing for lunch and golf. as for the OP, advocating armed rebellion is ridiculous when

a. we hold free elections every couple of years

Free elections? lol. I'm sorry, but when you have two parties that pretty much lock out all competition and do everything they can to get their guy in office there is nothing "free" about it.

b. the government would put down a rebellion in short order. the difference in firepower and manpower is just crushing.

That would depend entirely on what the military decides to do.

Once again, when your actions kill hundreds of innocent people, it goes over the line of both common morality and justice.

You mean like drone attacks. :cool:

You mean like drone attacks. :cool:

Ah, but see, here's the thing---- drone strikes may have killed innocent people, upon occasion, but they've also killed thousands of terrorists.

While the Oklahoma City bombing did nothing but kill hundreds of people and get the Feds to get even more serious about going after militia groups when they violated the law.

Free elections? lol. I'm sorry, but when you have two parties that pretty much lock out all competition and do everything they can to get their guy in office there is nothing "free" about it.

That would depend entirely on what the military decides to do.

an ant has a better chance at taking down a steamroller than a dozen pissed off survivalists have at overthrowing the government with AR-15s. and yes, we do have free elections. i agree with you about the party bull****, though. i'd probably support a constitutional amendment to ban them at this point.

Back
Top Bottom