• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Patriotism and its Discontents

anomaly

Anti-Capitalist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Welcome to the 21st century, America. What do you see? We see a land where people fly their red, white, and blue flags high, a land where the majority of people every two years vote against their economic interests and instead for 'moral issues', a land in which opposing the President makes one 'un-patriotic'. Patriotism is great in small amounts, but as we see it now, in the form of mass-patriotism it can become very dangerous. As we become ever more patriotic, we grow ever more ignorant, and we accept the Gov't's action without question. It starts to become 'wrong' for college radio stations to criticize the president, it is 'wrong' to oppose war. The greatest crime is the refusal to think, as my intellectual enemy Ayn Rand once said. Unfortunately, we see this tendency all too often today. For example, ask someone if Saddam had anything to do with 9/11, I bet you'll get 25% of people saying yes. Why did the German people accept the Nazi dogma? It is simple: obedience is a common feature of every human being. And Americans are becoming more and more obedient as time passes, supporting a needless war, and letting the president give tax cuts to the rich without question. But there ARE some who question, these are the 'anti'-Americans. The 'soc-lib-dems' as one person puts it. They are the people who oppose, and are stripped of there power because of it. Many of you out there think that the USA could never become a 'fascist' state, or a one-party state. But look what's happening. All three houses of gov't are dominated by one party, and even if the Democrats held a majority it wouldn't really matter as the two major parties in the USA continue to become more and more like each other. In closing, do not misunderstand the message here. The message is not 'hate America'. The message is simply to think.

Anomaly is right, no nation is safe from the threat of fascism - fascism exists in every country in the western world, nazism still exists. The German people are a smart industrious people and they were conned into beleiving Hitler.

As Gobbels (Nazi Propaganda Minister) said, "Repeat a lie often enough, it becomes truth."

I have been alarmed personally by the similar parallels between American since 9/11 and early Nazi Germany. Many of you will dismiss my fears as rubbish and far-fetched, even so keep it lurking at the back of your mind.

Many Americans I feel are living in denial, thinking during war-time they have no option to support their President.

As former President Theodore Roosevelt said "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

As some Republicans and the US Government have decried that protesters are unpatriotic not to support out the war. I have pointed out that Nazi Germany decried anti-war protesters as unpatriotic to get the swing of people behind them.
That is one example that the US Government as adopted a Nazi tactic! And that SCARES the crap out of me.

Also the fear that the government and media opposes on the American public is terrible. I live in a country that used to have bombs being exploded everyday and we didn't have as much fear as Americans are being fed!

"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."

Lastly that dangers of the Christian Extreme Right Wing. I respect Christianity and the teachings of Christ, a great role model for all. But like Islamic fundalmentalists, their is Christian fundalmentals and they have hi-jacked and embedded themselves in a respectable party called the Republican Party.

I feel the real dangers to America is within rather than outside. Call me a quack if you want, I don't care. Just keep an eye out!

http://www.counterpunch.org/leupp01132005.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom