• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Patriot Act Brew-ha-ha

Buzzcut62

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am a dyed-in-the-wool, true, blue American. And a Army veteran. This whole Patriot Act has seriously gotten out of hand. It is designed, supposedly, to protect our troops/servicepersons, and yet, the majority of things in it are being argued over for the rights and protection of the prisoners. Since when do prisoners have rights? I'm not talking about violations of HUMAN rights, either!

The people fighting this fiasco in Iraq{where we should not be}, our people, AMERICAN people, should have more protection than what they actually do. This latest 'hearing' should never have taken place, as well as the preceding 10! After the 9-11 attacks, I feel, we as a UNITED country, should have shut down our borders completely. Get the National Guard to do EXACTLY what it's name implies - guard our nation!

They are not the Army, Air Force, Marines, or Navy. These departments are our means of defense outside of our territorial waters. The Coast Guard is responsible for the water surrounding this country, the Guard, the nation itself. As a vet, I am disgraced to say that our political leaders need to remove their collective heads from their asses. If G.W. knew his geography better, then we would be in Afghanistan levelling mountains in search of the supposed mastermind of the attacks. Maybe the money was funneled through Iraq. We may never really know. Where are the WMDs that were so prevalent for us to invade Iraq? We accomplished the mission of throwing down Saddam Hussein's regime, but why was it our business to start a new government there as well?

This government here in the U.S. can't even take care of our own people - homeless, unemployed, healthcare issues, Trade deficits, debts out the wazoo. Why are we shipping jobs overseas? Companies that shut down should be PENALIZED, not rewarded for that. We are supposed to be the greatest nation in the world, yet if more people would stop being buffaloed by the 'money men', then maybe then we will be a great nation! Money begets money, and the poor shall suffer.

It says in the Bible that the 'meek shall inherit the earth'; good riddance to the politicians, because they are so far from meek, it stinks. Yet they claim to be believers. As far as the Patriot Act itself, read it. Read deep into it, and see what it really means for this country. My idea of 'Patriot' is this: If you were born here, fight for this country, and even die for this country, like so many of our ancestors and loved ones have, THEN and only then, are you a patriot. To hell, and be damned, any and all who don't feel this way. I have traced my ancestry back to 1704. I have ancestors who fought in the wars - ALL OF THEM - as well as some who worked hard to achieve greatness, only to lose it all, and have to start over again.

These people are Patriots! This 'Patriot Act' should be taking all of this into consideration. Here's an idea: gather up ALL of the people here in the U.S. that have immigrated here since 9-11, give them a ticket to go back where they came from, and make them stay there! The ones who are not yet citizens and getting all kinds of tax breaks and other perks, make them start 'paying' their way. Don't allow money to be sent 'home' to their country of origin. And, no more big money for politicians, either. Eliminate PACs, and other contributary entities. If someone wants to run for office, foot the bill out of pocket. Wipe out the Electoral College; who the dickens are they anyway? Our Presidents for about 30 years or so have yet to do, or be, what he is voted to be: the 'voice' of the people.

He has followed his own agenda, committed our resources to further his own means, basically 'dictating' to every other country that they should be like US. God help those who have followed in our ways. We need to start taking care of US, not 'policing' the world. A few years ago, a man named Ross Perot ran for the presidency, using about 75% of HIS OWN money. His ideas were valid and sincere. He spoke with a passion to turn this country back into the great nation it was after WWII. He is one of the few who literally worked his way to the top - the hard way. Yet, we sort of just laughed him off. The nation, or should I say, the well to do part of it, paid huge monies to make sure they weren't turned into 'equals' of the less fortunate. One of the ways to this 'equality', was a 'flat rate' income tax.

There were still loads of tax shelters. What did the rich have to worry about? How about we get rid of ALL tax sheltering AND then impose a, lets say 15% flat rate income tax? Perot was willing to pay his share. Sorry Bill Gates, your $40B doesn't seem so big now, but neither does the national debt! Rates wouldn't have to be continually adjusted to compensate for the asinie political spending. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention, PATRIOTS fought, and fight, to give you these rights to protect your money. How about giving some back. Start taking care of your own. Considering this is a 'blog', I await any and all responses or comments.

Be forewarned though, I have reams of research at my disposal for just about any arguments sake dealing with the Patriot aspect of our country. We are supposed to be the 'UNITED States'. If so, then why can't we all get along and do what is right, both morally & ethically?

Last edited by a moderator:
The patriot act was passed to help us in a time when we needed exrta security.It goes way to far.I don't know about you, but i didn't give my my freedom away.I am a conservite rebulican and yes i did vote for the current president.

thought it was better than kerry.The first term i said hey hes really doing something to help the country.this second term he seems to be only interested in repaying politicle debts and not leading the good USA.

since his term with in the name of security have given up alot of our hard fought GOD given rights.wake up america.lets make sure that this won't happen again. Thanks for helping me to see the truth.

Back
Top Bottom