• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Patrick Lyoya, 26, was killed outside a house in Grand Rapids, Michigan. What do you think of it?

Patrick Lyoya, 26, was killed outside a house in Grand Rapids, Michigan. What do you think of it?

• That was NOT OK

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • That was quite OK

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • other

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Some on this forum say the killing was quite OK.
What do you think?

What do you think?

This thread was made too soon, the other side is still deciding why the man was scary.

This thread was made too soon, the other side is still deciding why the man was scary.
I do not think that this thread is too soon.

I do not think that this thread is too soon.

I was posting in the other thread, the description of the threatening running isn't good enough. I know that man scared me, but... why?

What do you think?
I voted other because I have no idea who Patrick Lyoya is, your post mentioned little about it, and I don't think a great deal about it because clearly the contextual information you were expecting all readers to have apparently didn't make it to my neck of the woods.

No context in the original OP. I have no idea who he is.
Nor I. All I really know about him is that he was killed, he was 26, he was in Grand Rapids at the time, and @Rumpel finds his death to be worthy of a poll.

I trust that the whole US knows about the case by now.
Those who can read, anyway.
But I will give more info now in a few seconds.
Tough to read about it when you didn't post what happened. I just got home from work and do not have access to the news.

More Info:

Video: Michigan cop on Black man's back, fatally shot him​

Video shows a Michigan police officer struggling with a Black man over a Taser before fatally shooting him in the head while the man was face down on the ground

More:

I trust that the whole US knows about the case by now.
Those who can read, anyway.
But I will give more info now in a few seconds.

I'm bold enough that I don't need to know why you're asking if the innocent man who was murdered should have been murdered. I'll bite. The innocent man was innocent

More Info:

More:

That's very sad.

I'll stick with my 'Other' vote - not enough information to form a strong opinion either way.

I thought this was a bright sign though:

"Some businesses cut their hours short Wednesday, closing early. Some boarded up windows. But the demonstration remained non-violent with protesters demanding justice for Lyoya and other Black lives lost in shootings involving police."

I would have thought that the news about this case is all over the place.

WORLD WIDE!

But not in the US yet?

WORLD WIDE!

But not in the US yet?
Sometimes information arrives at different rates to different people.

I mean, you couldn't even list the 7 continents properly in your prior polls, so is it really such a big deal that some people haven't heard about this?

In any case, thanks for posting the article. Now we know.

WORLD WIDE!

But not in the US yet?
When I am working, I'm working. They don't pay me to be on my cell phone or watching TV. They pay me to do a job. That is why I have never been fired from a job. The job comes before watching the news and posting on a message board.

Now that that is out of the way...

From watching the video... I don't think it looks too good for the cop at all.

More:

The link: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/michigan-city-release-video-death-police-officer-84062561

The headline: Video: Michigan cop on Black man's back, fatally shot him

The lede: GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- A Black man face-down on the ground was fatally shot in the back of the head by a Michigan police officer, the violent climax of a traffic stop, brief foot chase and struggle over a stun gun, according to videos of the April 4 incident released Wednesday.

The comment: Guns. Again. Another person dead. Perhaps we should seek less-deadly ways for the police to effectively subdue people than shooting them with the intent to kill them.

Guns.

Again.

Another person dead.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

Note: I reply to all who quote my posts, excepting only those whose posts I no longer read.

No context in the original OP. I have no idea who he is.

Here is a link:

This mess was the result of a driver fleeing after a traffic stop (for having a vehicle tag not belonging to the vehicle being driven). Why the officer decided that required a chase and immediate arrest is very unclear.

Back
Top Bottom