• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pat Buchanan: Western Civilization is Toast

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Do I think those books stand up very well? Yup,” Buchanan told TheDC. “The West is disintegrating. Its faith is dead. When the cult dies, the culture dies and when the culture dies the civilization dies, and when the civilization dies the people die, and that’s what’s happening to western civilization.”
The conservative commentator was especially grim about Europe, Buchanan said, “It’s hard for me to see how the Europeans survive whether they have the will just given the trend-lines in terms of population and in terms of immigrants pouring in.”

He told TheDC, “I’m not a great optimist about the western civilization.”

Read more: Pat Buchanan: Even If Trump Wins, The West Is Doomed | The Daily Caller

I have been saying for almost 20 years that we are in a new dark ages, and for over 10 that it is too late to reform our way out of gathering collapse Western Civilization, but still it comes as a shock to hear such a high level member of the elite as Buchanan agree with me.

Thoughts?

I have been saying for almost 20 years that we are in a new dark ages, and for over 10 that it is too late to reform our way out of gathering collapse Western Civilization, but still it comes as a shock to hear such a high level member of the elite as Buchanan agree with me.

Thoughts?

Pat Buchanan is not sane, nor has been in years. His opinion is not relevant, and his judgement has been impaired for ages.

Pat Buchanan is not sane, nor has been in years. His opinion is not relevant, and his judgement has been impaired for ages.

And yet almost 20 years after Buchanan failed Trump is winning running on a duplicate of his world view. This leaves you with the conclusion that America has gone insane.

Are you sure you want to go there?

Pat Buchanan, another lunatic no one should be listening to.

Pat Buchanan, another lunatic no one should be listening to.

How odd. Not a single thing about whether or whether not the Western Civilization is indeed heading to collapse or not, only ad hominems.

I'm rather doubtful that the EU nations will survive with their cultures intact much beyond 50 years from now, given the distinct lack of assimilation of immigrants there.

I'm not so sure if the US will fall to the same fate or not. The US has a much better record of assimilation the first and second generation immigrants born here than does the EU, or so I'm led to believe, giving all the Muslim dominated enclaves (some would call them ghettos).

And yet almost 20 years after Buchanan failed Trump is winning running on a duplicate of his world view. This leaves you with the conclusion that America has gone insane.

Winning is a bit premature don't you think? He will not win the election and it will be Pat and Trumps end not the worlds. Racism and bigotry are at their ends and Trump is nothing but a dead cat bounce.

Thoughts?

We are certainly finding out that the whole breath of our methods of dealing with man, society and the world has accumulated more problems than it will be easy to fix without making an awful lot of people unhappy.

We are certainly finding out that the whole breath of our methods of dealing with man, society and the world has accumulated more problems than it will be easy to fix without making an awful lot of people unhappy.

I think we have also learned that science/technology can not solve every problem. Look at how low of regard we now hold science, even reason is under attack. I read recently an argument the Enlightenment was a direct result of the massive depopulation of Europe, that the tragedy and stress necessitated embracing reason and technical progress. I am not sold yet, but it makes a lot of sense that we have been fat happy and lazy for too long, and that this is the prime reason we have moved back into dark times. In so many ways we have given up now that we no longer believe that technology will save us, mainly because the people who use it are flawed. We need a spiritual rebirth, but from where does it come?

I would say that yes, America has gone insane.. or at least the folks that listen to any company that is owned by News Corp.

How odd. Not a single thing about whether or whether not the Western Civilization is indeed heading to collapse or not, only ad hominems.

I'm rather doubtful that the EU nations will survive with their cultures intact much beyond 50 years from now, given the distinct lack of assimilation of immigrants there.

As for western civilization first it needs to be defined.

Does Japan count? But Mexico does not? How about South Korea and Brazil

I'm not so sure if the US will fall to the same fate or not. The US has a much better record of assimilation the first and second generation immigrants born here than does the EU, or so I'm led to believe, giving all the Muslim dominated enclaves (some would call them ghettos).
Cultures are changing all the time. German culture today is I expect drastically different then what it was 60 years ago. Just as US and Canadian culture has changed over the same time frame. Muslims are not going to take over the EU any more then they will Canada. Yet canadian culture will still change over the next 50 years.

Cultures are changing all the time. German culture today is I expect drastically different then what it was 60 years ago. Just as US and Canadian culture has changed over the same time frame. Muslims are not going to take over the EU any more then they will Canada. Yet canadian culture will still change over the next 50 years.

True. Cultures are evolving and not exactly the same as they were before, yet there's much in the culture that stays, that's assimilated by any immigrants that chose to live in that culture.

Then there's cultures that don't promote and encourage assimilation of the culture by the immigrants, those have ghettos or enclaves of immigrants where the culture there is the immigrants culture and not the culture of their host nation. As the number of immigrants and the sizes of the ghettos and enclaves increases, the previous local culture is squeezed out, isn't it?

Seems to me that these are descriptions of the EU cultures, how well their immigrants assimilate their host nation culture, and the US and how immigrants assimilate that culture more readily.

Exactly. And this lack of cognitive thinking, the lack of a decent education, is a problem related to the topic of the thread. These people really do believe that calling Pat Buchanan bames will win them a debate, just like BLM feels that shouting down opposing views or carrying placrds, will win over hearts and minds of the general public. They are intellectually bereft.
They can't because they're not much better than those who've been using the ad homs, and the leadership actually needs to talk down to these people, offering them bribes the country can't possible afford, and promising which can never really happen. Therefore it can't survive fiscally either.
It depends on what the beliefs of these new immigrants actually are. Countries like Australia are bringing in the best and the brightest the world has to offer while the US has taken the opposing view, perhaps celebrating ignorance as the great new wave of the future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDxnPpmOpW0

Yep. This is pretty indisputable.

Yep. This is pretty indisputable.

Great, but Ideas have a life independent of any one particular speaker. Do you have any opinion on the veracity of the theory that Western Civilization is in danger for the reasons this one guy said?

wait...Pat Buchanan blames the downfall of western civilization on the immigrants? Thats strange...

I could've sworn he blamed it on the gays?

wait...Pat Buchanan blames the downfall of western civilization on the immigrants? Thats strange...

It seems you have many substantial beliefs not grounded in reality.

It bodes well that someone like Buchanon doesn't like where we are headed. :)

I read it that he is saying that the failure to deal with the invasion ( in fact encouraging it) is a symptom of a failure of the society's mythos, which I assume he attaches to Christianity.

I read it that he is saying that the failure to deal with the invasion ( in fact encouraging it) is a symptom of a failure of the society's mythos, which I assume he attaches to Christianity.

so by immigrants does he mean jews?

THis would be the same Jews who are departing Europe in droves because they think the muslims are talking over so Jews are no longer safe in Europe?

they were safe before?

Thoughts?

Relative to population, ever since the end of the Rwandan genocide about twenty years ago, humankind is living through its most peaceful time in all recorded human history. In no other twenty-year stretch can I find - again, relative to population - a world with so few major wars, so few famines, so few plagues or pandemics, so few grand injustices including genocide.

What's more, today, people can travel farther and faster than ever before...and more safely than ever before. And anytime we want, we can communicate with people on all six of the populated continents - truly, the stuff of science fiction. And since you're so concerned about western civilization - those of us in the West have more rights now, TODAY, than ever! The one "freedom" that has been taken away - and the one the DP conservatives seem to be so worked up about - is the "freedom to discriminate".

In other words, your "good old days" weren't nearly as good as you seem to think. This isn't to say that we don't face dangers - we most certainly do! But your apocalyptic scenarios are, when compared to the real dangers, frankly laughable. If western civilization were to fall, it won't be due to anything stemming from religion or politics, but from physical dangers - an asteroid, a Carrington event, a supervolcano eruption...all of which have happened before, and will certainly happen again.

You need to pull your head out right-wing echo chamber and learn what the real dangers are.

Back
Top Bottom