• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pastor Coates

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
How are Canadians on this forum feeling about this case? It's been on Fox News lately, including an interview with the Pastor Coates' wife tonight where she said she no longer recognizes her country. She said she thinks Canadians have been in a pot boiling quite slowly for some time and the changes have been slow enough that some Canadians simply don't recognize the point the country has reached.
Pastor James Coates to be released from jail as Crown withdraws charges - Todayville

He's a plague monger.

Are we supposed to feel bad for him?

No doubt it has........
Do you think it shouldn't make the news? I suppose it could be censored sort of like the gag order about our southern border and that gag order is so extreme it is now being reported by even our leftist MSM. Do you have an issue with media that actually reports Canadian or American news you, as a liberal, would rather not be heard? Is that at the root of your issue/obsession with Fox News, Newsmax and Tucker Carlson - that they report what you would like to remain quiet or hidden.
How do you feel about the Coates story? Do you think it reasonable he has spent a month in jail or prison (according to his wife). As a Canadian, were you aware of it prior to my comment?

Below, from NBC yesterday about our southern border: Is your opinion of NBC reporting unflattering liberal government news also a snarky and sarcastic "No doubt it has....."

"The officials say the restrictions are seen as an unofficial "gag order" and are often referred to that way among colleagues. The officials requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the media about the topic.

Border Patrol officials have been told to deny all media requests for "ride-alongs" with agents along the southern land border; local press officers are instructed to send all information queries, even from local media, to the press office in Washington for approval; and those responsible for cultivating data about the number of migrants in custody have been reminded not to share the information with anyone to prevent leaks, the officials said.

Multiple news organizations, including NBC News, have requested access to or photos from inside overcrowded border processing facilities holding unaccompanied migrant children; they have been denied. The DHS press office released one photo late Tuesday of a mother and child undergoing a health screening inside a border facility, but no wider shots to show conditions or sleeping arrangements.

At the height of the Trump administration’s child separation policy in June 2018, it allowed media to tour facilities where separated children were held."

@gbg3

The pastor and his congregation were refusing to follow health guidelines for the pandemic. In Canada regulation has the same legal weight as legislation or decree. Pastor Coates' behaviour was dangerous to the public's general health in a time of epidemic. The pastor had no right to do what he insisted upon doing as religious matters and association are freedoms and not rights under the Canadian constitution. He refused to follow lawful orders and was dealt with accordingly. My only concern is that the RCMP and the Alberta judiciary made a mess of the setting of bail conditions process. That is not acceptable. He should have been brought before a judge and the conditions should have been imposed lawfully. Everything else is cool with me.

The article read more like an advertisement for the Justice Centre rather than a reported upon story. It is not an impartial reporting of the affair as the story is a news release from the Justice Centre which is representing Pastor Coates. Such prefabricated stories with built-in agendas sent to media outlets are all too common in the contracting media space of modern Canada.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
How are Canadians on this forum feeling about this case? It's been on Fox News lately, including an interview with the Pastor Coates' wife tonight where she said she no longer recognizes her country. She said she thinks Canadians have been in a pot boiling quite slowly for some time and the changes have been slow enough that some Canadians simply don't recognize the point the country has reached.
Pastor James Coates to be released from jail as Crown withdraws charges - Todayville
Violate rights and freedoms? The world is full of drama queens. That's how this Canadian feels about it.

how totally friggin stupid are people gonna look, to future generations, because they wouldn't be safe turning a pandemic.

will they get a 2 on a scale of 1-10?

No sympathy for anyone who breaks the law and endangered others. No idea what is particularly newsworthy of this story other than the RW media's continued harangue on "control" and "loss of freedoms" as part of their keep them agitated and angry campaign.

I think Coates' wife was right about that slowly boiling pot in Canada. A pastor holds church service for his congregation, unwilling to turn people away based on what some consider quite unreasonably stringent government mandates - and to prison for him. Not even a simple fine or reasonable punishment, but prison! Canadians support his "punishment". Whew! I hate to imagine what kind of mandates Canadians are now willing to accept moving forward.
We might be chaotic and divided in America because many Americans are still demanding choice and freedom (including free press), but thank God those Americans still want that!
Maybe you should give Tucker a watch more often and pull yourself out of your protective bubble of censored media. Maybe you'd then begin to recognize that pot you're boiling in. But don't worry because if and when conservatives ever get back in power in your country or ours, you'll be let out of that boiling pot.
From reading about Coates, it sounds like he has now or will very soon be, after a month, released and many charges dropped. Hopefully, any sincere coverage (or "allowed" coverage) of his story created enough pressure to push recognition of how over the top his punishment was.
I'd still be interested in hearing from a Canadian who isn't in that boiling pot - how this all played out in Canada. How much coverage did it get there? Were there a percentage of Canadians very upset about the heavy handed government, etc.? But, I don't think it will be possible to get an unbiased description of the overall Canadian reaction from this group.

A pastor holds church service for his congregation, unwilling to turn people away based on what some consider quite unreasonably stringent government mandates - and to prison for him. Not even a simple fine or reasonable punishment, but prison!
He held those services in violation of the law. He was held in jail by a judge, because he refused to abide by the set bail conditions. Since when do citizens get to decide which laws they abide by and which ones they don't and what bail conditions they will abide by? So much for the law and order crowd.

Last edited:
I am Albertan, where the moron is from, and I had no idea who is was

He is a fanatic, who cares more about fame and donations than the actual health of his followers, and fellow citizens

Back
Top Bottom