• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pastafarian’ fights to wear pasta strainer in license photo

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
'Pastafarian' fights to wear pasta strainer in license photo | Chicago Sun-Times
A Chicago-area woman wants to sue for the right to wear a pasta strainer.
“I just want freedom of religion. It’s not right that my religious headdress is not allowed when others are,” she said. “I face challenges, but I will definitely not give up.”
props to her for fighting the good fight. I hope she starts a go fund me page, I'll give her a few bucks for her fight.

I think that is a case of straining the rules
A couple of years ago a Texas pastafarian won the right to wear a Pasta strainer and his license photo. score for the little guy.

A couple of years ago a Texas pastafarian won the right to wear a Pasta strainer and his license photo. score for the little guy.

I think the judge should have required him to wear it anytime he operated a motor vehicle on the public right of way so the cops would recognize him if they pulled him over.

I think the judge should have required him to wear it anytime he operated a motor vehicle on the public right of way so the cops would recognize him if they pulled him over.

novel approach to confirm identity

then you would similarly agree that the law could compel owners of concealed carry permits to wear a special beanie so that they could be identified by law enforcement
propeller beanie.jpg

I would hate to see what candidate Deez Nutz wants on his head for a DMV photo.

then you would similarly agree that the law could compel owners of concealed carry permits to wear a special beanie so that they could be identified by law enforcement
View attachment 67204151

Only if those who want to ban guns wear this

alive-and-chicken-shirt.jpg

Not at all.

Freedom of religion either applies to everybody or it's not actually freedom of religion.

And that includes fake religions like Pastafarianism and Mormonism. :mrgreen:

Someone at DMV needs to get that stick out of their rear end and relax a little bit. She's already got the license, it's a good picture, you can see all her face, the strainer looks nice, she looks like she's having fun - what's the harm?

It cuts conservatives to their core (as has already been shown in this thread) to have to confront the fact that 'recognized' religions are just as absurd as anything one might make up in the moment.

It demostrates their fear.

View attachment 67204151

Except for two things, one CPLs do not have photos on them, and two part of the reason religious headgear is allowed on DMV photos is the idea that a dedicated believer will always be wearing it and hence the photo on the license will accurately depict the individual pictured.

It wouldn't have mattered in WA, they would've argued with this loser for about thirty seconds then issued him a DL stamped "not valid for ID" and then he'd need a separate ID to use for stuff like cashing checks or buying booze

Not at all.

Freedom of religion either applies to everybody or it's not actually freedom of religion.

The Supreme Court has never heard a Pastafarian case, more's the pity. But what you claim is very far from being an accurate description of its Free Exercise Clause jurisprudence. True, the Court has backed far away from Employment Div. v. Smith during the 25 years since Justice Scalia's opinion for the majority in that case, which drastically narrowed the scope of the Free Exercise Clause and caused Congress to react by passing the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Even so, the freedom of religious exercise is still far from unlimited. If a member of a neo-Thuggee cult were being tried for murder for strangling someone to death, because he believed the goddess Kali demanded human sacrifices from him, the First Amendment's guarantee of that freedom certainly would not make the murder statute being applied unconstitutional. But that hardly means there is "not actually freedom of religion" in the United States.

It's a fake religion meant to mock the religious, such should be treated accordingly and denied.
Some see it as satire while many others take it very seriously. It's also recognized as an official religion in New Zealand and the Netherlands.

Not at all.

Nobody is a "pastafarian", this is just a tool idiotic atheists use to mock religion.

Really? This looks like a worthy cause to you?

Yes, it does. While I think the whole pastafarian thing is ridiculous, it points out an important problem in the State of Illinois. The state is currently allowed to pick and choose which religions it considers valid. That's a pretty blatant violation of the first amendment.

And frankly, I think it's stupid that there are religious exceptions for ID photos in the first place. You should either be allowed to wear something on your head, or you shouldn't, period. Religion shouldn't factor into it.

Nobody is a "pastafarian", this is just a tool idiotic atheists use to mock religion.

Prove that no pastafarian believes in what that religion puts out. You can't. It doesn't matter how it started. There could still be people who believe in the FSM or any other part of the religion. Just as people believe in many of the fake religions made up by our entertainment industry. (There are those who worship gods from Star Trek, Star Wars, WOW, anime, books, and plenty more.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have the right to tell people who or what they pray to or whether or not their religion is legitimate. And why should we care as long as it doesn't violate our rights?

Back
Top Bottom