• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Passenger Confronts GOP Congressman Over Flying First Class During Shutdown

So somehow you read in the story that congressman, and senators fly at their own expense and are not reimbursed?

I suppose you think trump pays with his Russian express card to fill air force one as well?

all this shows is that you don't pay attention to what is posted, and don't care about facts.

The persons office bought a coach ticket and he was upgraded for free.
There are government rules on buying plane tickets and when first class can be used
and not used.

no first class ticket was bought.

No it is not always dedicated, and anything that needed to be delivered to that destination can be added to that flight.

For VIP flights? It absolutely is. And in this case it was. There's also limited space for cargo on these aircraft, and it's normally used for PR type items, and not to add capacity for items that would normally be delivered.

all this shows is that you don't pay attention to what is posted, and don't care about facts.

The persons office bought a coach ticket and he was upgraded for free.
There are government rules on buying plane tickets and when first class can be used
and not used.

no first class ticket was bought.

I know that, and I never said there was.

What I said was that he did not pay for his ticket out of his own pocket and the citizen had every right to ask the question that he did.

The senator, rather than explaining how he was fortunate enough to be flying first class ignored the citizen making it appear to the public at large he was hurting something.

In this case the only thing the senator did wrong was not to respond to a citizen.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...vernment-shutdown_us_5c477fe1e4b083c46d634be8 These politicians live lives and are privy to luxuries and amenities that the working class rarely experience and all on our dime to boot. Way out of touch with the real world.

I used to work for the airlines. We lobbied John McCain quite a bit. He introduced a successful bill that allowed flights from Washington National Airport (DCA) past their "perimeter" rule. The perimeter rule meant that airlines could only fly a maximum of 1250 miles from DCA. Our hubs were in Phoenix and Las Vegas, which were outside that rule. A limited number of slots were created that allowed for longer non-stop flights out of DCA (currently, non-stop flights go to Phoenix, Austin, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, San Juan, San Francisco and Portland).

Anyway, after Phoenix got non-stop service to DCA, McCain made it a point to never fly that route so that it wouldn't look like he did it as a perk for himself. I believe he had to fly it once when another flight cancelled and he had to get into DC for a vote. I've been on planes with lots of politicians, John Kaisic, John Kyl, and a few others that I recognized, but couldn't place a name to. They all flew in coach, as they should have. Now, if this politician is flying for a personal trip and is upgraded, fine, that is his money, but for official business, its not a good optic.

The regular COACH ticket is paid by a government credit card that is opened in the Congressman's name. That ticket is then reimbursed later. However, the UPGRADE to FIRST CLASS was Paid for by the Congressman. The difference between the COACH and FIRST CLASS ticket is paid for by the Congressman.

That's not quite correct. He purchased (on the government credit card) a coach ticket. He was upgraded for free, by the airline, because he flies a lot. This is a normal process based on his frequent flier status, and has nothing to do with his office. It was likely even automatic, based on the computer tagging him for the available seat, rather than any request on his part.

That's not quite correct. He purchased (on the government credit card) a coach ticket. He was upgraded for free, by the airline, because he flies a lot. This is a normal process based on his frequent flier status, and has nothing to do with his office. It was likely even automatic, based on the computer tagging him for the available seat, rather than any request on his part.

My point being, bottom line, is the upgrade to the ticket to first class was not something he abused nor does it come out of taxpayer money. This story really is a non starter from the get go.

What I said was that he did not pay for his ticket out of his own pocket and the citizen had every right to ask the question that he did.

And you have been asked for your sources on this. You made some pretty specific claims. So where does the info come from?

Or is it something you simply think must be true?

The congressman's office explained the first class seat was a mileage upgrade. Of course lefties, who boss expect queenly accommodations everywhere, pounced right on this incident without reading.

Occasionally I like to skip the story and just ask the obvious questions that anyone should ask when faced with such a story. I won't take any credit for the truth of the story falling within the scope of my obvious questions.

The senator, rather than explaining how he was fortunate enough to be flying first class ignored the citizen making it appear to the public at large he was hurting something.

In this case the only thing the senator did wrong was not to respond to a citizen.

he doesn't have to respond to a citizen if he doesn't want to. 1st amendment.

With what's going on today with 800,000 government employees having to resort to handouts in order to eat, it's in poor form for a six figure making politician that is still collecting paychecks and not having to worry where his next meal is coming from or if his bills are going to be paid, to fly first class. Appearances are important and it doesn't look good. He's still just a public servant.

The reality is he flew first class because the airline bumped him up. Sure the optics aren't terrific, but reality is a damn sight more important than appearances.

From that HuffPo article...you may have missed it because of your misguided outrage.

Now...if you want to object to taxpayer funded travel by Congressmen, I say fine. Heck, I agree with that objection. But, for a taxpayer to single out a Congressman without even knowing the facts...I find that deplorable.

He could have said that and put an end to the issue right there.

Too arrogant to be questioned, evidently.

He could have said that and put an end to the issue right there.

Too arrogant to be questioned, evidently.

You should read the thread. I already dealt with your comment when another member stated the same thing.

btw, that other member said he was "embarrassed". You say he's "arrogant". I'll ask you the same thing I asked that other member: What makes you think he was arrogant? That other member didn't answer the question. Perhaps you have one?

Occasionally I like to skip the story and just ask the obvious questions that anyone should ask when faced with such a story. I won't take any credit for the truth of the story falling within the scope of my obvious questions.

Should we smack your hand with a ruler? :mrgreen:

These politicians live lives and are privy to luxuries and amenities that the working class rarely experience and all on our dime to boot.

So true.

I have just heard on (yes) FOX that Madame Speaker of the House of the Representatives spends millions on luxurious flights.

Yet some people continue to extoll her as some kind of hero.

Sad.

So true.

I have just heard on (yes) FOX that Madame Speaker of the House of the Representatives spends millions on luxurious flights.

Yet some people continue to extoll her as some kind of hero.

Sad.
Your whataboutism is duly noted.

Not a single one of these traitors, left and right, dim and con, ought to be paid or have health benefits while the government is shut down.

All of them should be reduced to the lowest worker their idiotic temper tantrums impact.

**** them.

Just because he is a Congressman he doesn't give up his right to privacy. He had the right to fly un molested. If a constituent had a issue they should take it up with him at his office or at a town hall meeting or something.

Not a single one of these traitors, left and right, dim and con, ought to be paid or have health benefits while the government is shut down.

All of them should be reduced to the lowest worker their idiotic temper tantrums impact.

**** them.
I basically agree. They aren't doing their jobs and should not be paid during a shutdown.

From what I have read the government does not pay for their tickets and they fly coach unless they upgrade on their own dime. However

One very solid perk of being a congressman is the free, premium parking at both Dulles and Reagan National Airport next to the terminals, as well as head-of-the-line privileges for security lines. That even beats
TSA PreCheck.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/how-government-officials-fly/
Simply from a security standpoint, I'm fine with that.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

It's pretty amazing that the HuffPo can actually take the time to write the whole article and not realize how stupid it sounds given the facts.

Their opinion section will not be missed

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom