• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Passenger Confronts GOP Congressman Over Flying First Class During Shutdown

Not really, flying military rather than commercial is by far cheaper.

And she would not need the extra security on a military flight she would on a commercial flight.

Trump just cost us more money, due to complete pettiness...

That's my point. "Airborne vehicles" are the only common denominator. The two situations are so different that the moment you enter the type of aircraft into the equation the two situations instantly diverge.

To use august's logic, Obama and trump are the same person because they have both traveled in a boat at some point in their lives.

And yet another pile of **** story peddled to an all too eager idiot leftists population.

His ticket was commercial and coach. The airline upgraded him to 1st Class due to his frequent flyer status just as anyone else is entitled to.

But dont let the facts get in the way of your pathetic little hate filled partisan rage fest. And dont worry...there be another bull**** lie waiting for you as soon as this one dies down. Keep your napkins handy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...vernment-shutdown_us_5c477fe1e4b083c46d634be8 These politicians live lives and are privy to luxuries and amenities that the working class rarely experience and all on our dime to boot. Way out of touch with the real world.

The article actually points to the opposite - any person who flies frequently can be offered first class upgrades when seats are available. That's what happened here. The congressman purchased a ticket in coach and was upgraded.

What the article points to is a frustrated citizen being very rude on an airplane to a congressman.

Not really, flying military rather than commercial is by far cheaper.

And she would not need the extra security on a military flight she would on a commercial flight.

Trump just cost us more money, due to complete pettiness...

That's incorrect. Flying with a military aircraft (really a civilian aircraft operated by the military) simplifies the security and travel arrangements. However, it's not cheaper at all. It's a dedicated charter flight, with dedicated crew(s). That's not the same as flying space available on an aircraft that was going to those places anyway.

Huffpo is just a lying partisan blog, nothing else.

They are absolutely a partisan blog.

In this case however, I'd give them credit. they were reporting on the confrontation, and didn't blame the congressman. On the contrary, they included a very reasonable explanation from his office. They did use a sensationalized headline - but that's the norm now.

Wrong, those tickets were purchased with taxpayer dollars.

They are paid for as part of his per diems that is not money out of his pocket.

That's not what the story says.

If we had elected an American who was good at business negotiations we wouldn't be in this mess. I don't know why people thought that a dude who punked electricians and carpenters and general contractors and painters was a good choice.

Wrong, those tickets were purchased with taxpayer dollars.

They are paid for as part of his per diems that is not money out of his pocket.

The regular COACH ticket is paid by a government credit card that is opened in the Congressman's name. That ticket is then reimbursed later. However, the UPGRADE to FIRST CLASS was Paid for by the Congressman. The difference between the COACH and FIRST CLASS ticket is paid for by the Congressman.

I can't speak for the OP you quoted, but I am under the impression he thinks since the SALARY of the congressman which is paid for by the government (aka taxpayer) means that the ticket to First Class was essentially paid for by the taxpayer. That is an extreme stretch and I don't agree with that because some congressman have other financial sources (not that really even matters) that don't just include the taxpayer and it's unfair to compare it in that way. The bottom line is the difference between the Coach ticket and First Class Ticket are what the Congressman pays for out of his pocket, so this story and any outrage from it IMO is just hot air.

That same exact thing could be said about Pelosi wanting to travel while Americans are working without pay. And she was grounded by her president like a bad little girl. That was priceless!

Travel, going to Afghanistan is not what many would consider to be a luxury vacation or trip.

Oh yes, and Trump has yet to go there. Pelosi had no problems making plans to visit the Troops and information from Senior Military leaders on the ground early in as Speaker of the House

Trump was shamed into going to Iraq.

Unless things have changed in the past few years, if a member of Congress wants to fly commercially first class they have to pay the difference between that and an economy ticket out of pocket or use their frequent flyer miles.

From that HuffPo article...you may have missed it because of your misguided outrage.

Now...if you want to object to taxpayer funded travel by Congressmen, I say fine. Heck, I agree with that objection. But, for a taxpayer to single out a Congressman without even knowing the facts...I find that deplorable.

Its my Congressman and he doesn't fly first class without a bump from the airline. He flies coach. I have known the man since the 2nd grade. He doesn't maintain a residence in DC and sleeps on a cot in his offices during long legislative sessions.

The one guy I know makes an effort not to waste taxpayer dollars. Shame on the OP.

That's incorrect. Flying with a military aircraft (really a civilian aircraft operated by the military) simplifies the security and travel arrangements. However, it's not cheaper at all. It's a dedicated charter flight, with dedicated crew(s). That's not the same as flying space available on an aircraft that was going to those places anyway.

No it is not always dedicated, and anything that needed to be delivered to that destination can be added to that flight.

From that HuffPo article...you may have missed it because of your misguided outrage.

Now...if you want to object to taxpayer funded travel by Congressmen, I say fine. Heck, I agree with that objection. But, for a taxpayer to single out a Congressman without even knowing the facts...I find that deplorable.

Hold on a damn minute! We don't just let any old liberal into the Deplorable Club. Uh uhhhh

So how do you know who paid for that ticket? Do you know whether it was an air-miles upgrade? Where he was going? No? Your anger is fueled by your ignorance.

The congressman's office explained the first class seat was a mileage upgrade. Of course lefties, who boss expect queenly accommodations everywhere, pounced right on this incident without reading.

Never had a per diem huh?

Well the way it works is you pay for your gas, meal, ticket ect then turn in (or type it on a computer)the expense.

If it does not go over the standard allotment ( that Congress just increased dramatically while under Republican control) they do not even have to provide receipts...

Never had a per diem huh?

Well the way it works is you pay for your gas, meal, ticket ect then turn in (or type it on a computer)the expense.

If it does not go over the standard allotment ( that Congress just increased dramatically while under Republican control) they do not even have to provide receipts...

The story says differently from what you claimed.

If you have a better source than the story regarding what you specifically said, about what this Congressman did in this instance, then by all means, provide it. I'm going only by the story, and more information is better.

Its my Congressman and he doesn't fly first class without a bump from the airline. He flies coach. I have known the man since the 2nd grade. He doesn't maintain a residence in DC and sleeps on a cot in his offices during long legislative sessions.

The one guy I know makes an effort not to waste taxpayer dollars. Shame on the OP.
With what's going on today with 800,000 government employees having to resort to handouts in order to eat, it's in poor form for a six figure making politician that is still collecting paychecks and not having to worry where his next meal is coming from or if his bills are going to be paid, to fly first class. Appearances are important and it doesn't look good. He's still just a public servant.

Travel, going to Afghanistan is not what many would consider to be a luxury vacation or trip.

Oh yes, and Trump has yet to go there. Pelosi had no problems making plans to visit the Troops and information from Senior Military leaders on the ground early in as Speaker of the House

Trump was shamed into going to Iraq.

Yeah the difference between a leader and a coward...

She believes in our security forces, trump believes in Russia's...

The story says differently from what you claimed.

If you have a better source than the story regarding what you specifically said, about what this Congressman did in this instance, then by all means, provide it. I'm going only by the story, and more information is better.

So somehow you read in the story that congressman, and senators fly at their own expense and are not reimbursed?

I suppose you think trump pays with his Russian express card to fill air force one as well?

Nah. They're not even remotely comparable to any rational, sober adult.

Correct. Pelosi, on Air Force equipment, would have been traveling on the taxpayer's money.

The Congressman in question here was flying on his own dime.

They are not remotely comparable to any rational, sober adult.

Ka-BOOM! :lol:

So somehow you read in the story that congressman, and senators fly at their own expense and are not reimbursed?

I suppose you think trump pays with his Russian express card to fill air force one as well?

No, I read what happened. It has already been discussed in the thread.

As I said, if you have better information, by all means, provide it.

you should know by now that facts don't matter to these people.

Back
Top Bottom