• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Party moving too radical?

I"ve seen the typical republican bot talk when a newbie con drops in here and say, "I used to be a democrat but the party moved too radical..." blah blah blah. Pew kind of cleared that bullshit up.

The Right needs to go further right.

The arbitrary centre of the OP chart is set too far to the right, making the democrats semm more leftist than reality and the Republicans far too centrist.

As a progressive I agree completely. Republicans should go camp in the wilderness where there are hardly any voters!

In what way does a group of folks who seek to lower taxes do anything besides adding a call t lower taxes?

TEA (Taxed Enough Already) Party.

They get used by a party whose handlers cut their own taxes permanently and only give them temporary tax cuts. Charles Koch needs another yacht, but they really didn’t need healthcare for their family anyway, did they?

Last edited:
You fail to consider the Overton window.

The only reason we can say conservatives have drifted more to the right is because the center is constantly over time moving leftward.

It's why many conservstives today hold what was considered left ideas years ago, like homosexual right to freedom and non discrimination for jobs and such (though not yet marriage). Many other things, interracial marriage etc etc have moved leftward.

Here is a link from your beloved WP confirming my point which should be obvious to all:

Not really. Teddy Roosevelt today would have been considered a commie by his own Republican Party.

“ Theodore Roosevelt strived to reconcile labor and business through Progressive legislation.
The Progressive movement encompassed these reconciliations as well as improvements in other realms of society. It also sought to encourage the scientific approach to problem-solving.
Roosevelt’s “Square Deal” exemplified his approach to domestic reform and focused on conservation of natural resources, control of corporations, and protection of consumers. Antitrust became a tenant of Roosevelt’s, and under his administration, more than 40 suits were brought against companies that used illegal methods to form monopolies.”

Not really. Teddy Roosevelt today would have been considered a commie by his own Republican Party.

“ Theodore Roosevelt strived to reconcile labor and business through Progressive legislation.
The Progressive movement encompassed these reconciliations as well as improvements in other realms of society. It also sought to encourage the scientific approach to problem-solving.
Roosevelt’s “Square Deal” exemplified his approach to domestic reform and focused on conservation of natural resources, control of corporations, and protection of consumers. Antitrust became a tenant of Roosevelt’s, and under his administration, more than 40 suits were brought against companies that used illegal methods to form monopolies.”

Several decades this has held, my source didn't trace it back 10 decades.

I saw this and my jaw dropped... How could this possible be? Then I read the methodology and it made more sense.

This study isn't about ideological beliefs, or policies each party endorses. As far as I can tell, it's basically about cross over votes over the years in the congress and senate. It's looking at the number of republicans that voted with democrats on bills, and the number of democrats who voted with republicans on bills.

So by their standards, when those 2 democrats crossed the isle and voted with republicans against the "Build Back Better" bill, that would be an example of republicans moving further to the right... In my opinion, when a party can't even get all of their representatives to vote yes on a piece of legislation they crafted, such as Build back better, and the opposing party, the republicans, unanimously voted it down, that's an example of the democrats moving further to the left, not the other way around.

It's looking at the state of RINOs in the Congress.

You think the RINO becoming endangered moves the Republican average to the right?

My post and the article the op posted are talking about people leaving from, and going to various states and cities. It has nothing to do with the idiots in Washington DC.

My post and the article the op posted are talking about people leaving from, and going to various states and cities. It has nothing to do with the idiots in Washington DC.

You're lying about PoweRob's post in an attempt to hijack the thread.

As a progressive I agree completely. Republicans should go camp in the wilderness where there are hardly any voters!
How can I in good conscience head to the wilderness when decision makers can't even decide what a woman is? I'll go when I see all people like you are permanantly masked and locked away in your safety basements, forever.

I think the left should test this out.
I saw Elizabeth Warren in an interview today. She wants to take this current oil/energy situation as the perfect opportunity (in her opinion) to go full on green new deal and rid the nation of virtually any reliance on oil. She also wants Biden to sign an EO (today was her ask) to waive student loans to the tune of $50,000 per person/loan.
Since Pew is letting you know that it's the GOP moving too far right and not the Dems moving too far left - I fully support the Dems going full steam ahead with Warren's two topics (and more) from now until the midterms! Do it - the voters will simply love it and it will save the midterms for them. This poll is all the evidence you need. Encourage all your candidates to run on proposals just like these two.

So you like the increases in income flowing to the top.

One inportant reason why Congress is increasingly polarized is due to extreme gerrymandering.

No, I posted that thinking it was another thread.

My apologies.

And my apologies too. I should have considered that.

That'd be tough to do. They already hate everyone who isn't a clone of themselves. They've already violently attacked our capitol. About the only way they could go further right is to keep increasing their violence even more. Which looks likely so... congrats.

One inportant reason why Congress is increasingly polarized is due to extreme gerrymandering.

And yet, the graph shows greater polarization in the Senate.

You fail to consider the Overton window.

The only reason we can say conservatives have drifted more to the right is because the center is constantly over time moving leftward.

It's why many conservstives today hold what was considered left ideas years ago, like homosexual right to freedom and non discrimination for jobs and such (though not yet marriage). Many other things, interracial marriage etc etc have moved leftward.

Here is a link from your beloved WP confirming my point which should be obvious to all:

@poweRob

When the "center" moves faster than the norm (as it has in recent decades) there isn't time for many to adapt and thus are further from this new center (,more extreme) even though their views have not changed.

The center does move. And socially, with education and better communication, it generally moves to the left over time. But to claim the right isn't pushing more to the right would be wrong. When the loudest leaders are become more intolerant and more violent. The right in the past didn't violently try to overthrow our form of government. That's not due to the center's movement.

The center does move. And socially, with education and better communication, it generally moves to the left over time. But to claim the right isn't pushing more to the right would be wrong. When the loudest leaders are become more intolerant and more violent. The right in the past didn't violently try to overthrow our form of government. That's not due to the center's movement.
A few people planning something doesn't equate to "the right".

Possibly on a few topics the right may have moved further right. But in the whole, they have moved left right along with society.

Name some policy issues where you think we have moved to the right.

I think the WP got it right.

A few people planning something doesn't equate to "the right".

Possibly on a few topics the right may have moved further right. But in the whole, they have moved left right along with society.

Name some policy issues where you think we have moved to the right.

I think the WP got it right.
The rightwing pols, the rightwing public at that time and before supported it and the rightwing media supported and promoted it. Then the rightwing media tried to defend it and play the victim about it. The majority of the right supported it until it until it polled negative.

The rightwing pols, the rightwing public at that time and before supported it and the rightwing media supported and promoted it. Then the rightwing media tried to defend it and play the victim about it. The majority of the right supported it until it until it polled negative.
Source form this claim?

I expect you are referring to protests, not violent overthrows and are conflating them.

I want a party that consists of Green Party, progressive democrats of America and moderates from the big two and no one from ALEC Fascists.

It's time to break up all media conglomerates = right wing nuts have acquired much of the co called "liberal" media. No monopolies all must go!

Source form this claim?

I expect you are referring to protests, not violent overthrows and are conflating them.
Common knowledge.

An overwhelming majority (72%) of Americans believe the people involved in the attack on the Capitol were "threatening democracy," while 1 in 4 Americans believes that the individuals involved were "protecting democracy." Broken down by party identification, Democrats are nearly unanimous (96%) in believing that those involved in the attacks were threatening democracy. Republicans are more split, with 45% saying it was a threat and 52% saying those involved in the riot were "protecting democracy."

I"ve seen the typical republican bot talk when a newbie con drops in here and say, "I used to be a democrat but the party moved too radical..." blah blah blah. Pew kind of cleared that bullshit up.

"moving"?????????????

Back
Top Bottom