• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Part 1: Traffic Stop Reform

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
One part of the problem has been identified: Traffic Stops with police can end violently. The data is not there to convince me that it happens often but it's prevalent enough in modern society to be a partial problem that people can logically think about fixing.

There have been some musings around to suggest that traffic stops are the first step in solving the preconceived police brutality issue. I would say that the people bringing this to light are pretty spot on in their analysis so far. However, I am unclear what to make of how to go about reforming these stops. Pointing out some part of the problem is one thing, but I am not sure how to fix the "problem".

Various people have referred to traffic stops as drug busts because they often lead to contraband, but the black community really shouldn't be pissed off about that. The WHITE community should be: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ding-more-illegal-stuff-with-white-drivers-2/

I think it is very unsafe to allow people to get away with such and such amount of marijuana, heroin, or meth in the car. As many of the proponents of Traffic Stop Reform tend to do. That to me makes me think that the people bringing this up are not really serious about solving that problem and just want lighter drug sentences. However, I do not think that these people should be thrown in jail next to murderers and rapists.

So how would you reasonably deal with this problem? Because I am not seeing any solutions from this crowd, even though it is a very important part of the problem to highlight.

Simple. Just tell cops they can't stop anybody for any reason. Problem solved!

I know how to act when stopped by a cop because my father explained it to me.

To many kids running ferel with no guidance, flush with a "jungle rules" mentally, buttressed with a heightened feeling of entitlement to "free roam", hostile and feeling immune from laws, willing to put their street cred on the line at the drop of a hat.

I'm a big believer in orphanages, taking kids from drug and alcohol addled parents.

As it is now we are getting no where.

One part of the problem has been identified: Traffic Stops with police can end violently. The data is not there to convince me that it happens often but it's prevalent enough in modern society to be a partial problem that people can logically think about fixing.

There have been some musings around to suggest that traffic stops are the first step in solving the preconceived police brutality issue. I would say that the people bringing this to light are pretty spot on in their analysis so far. However, I am unclear what to make of how to go about reforming these stops. Pointing out some part of the problem is one thing, but I am not sure how to fix the "problem".

Various people have referred to traffic stops as drug busts because they often lead to contraband, but the black community really shouldn't be pissed off about that. The WHITE community should be: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ding-more-illegal-stuff-with-white-drivers-2/

I think it is very unsafe to allow people to get away with such and such amount of marijuana, heroin, or meth in the car. As many of the proponents of Traffic Stop Reform tend to do. That to me makes me think that the people bringing this up are not really serious about solving that problem and just want lighter drug sentences. However, I do not think that these people should be thrown in jail next to murderers and rapists.

So how would you reasonably deal with this problem? Because I am not seeing any solutions from this crowd, even though it is a very important part of the problem to highlight.

A good and thoughtful post.

Imagine the hypothetical in which the Harrison Narcotic Act of 1914 had never been passed, and in which the Controlled Substances Act had never been passed. IOW, consider the hypothetical in which drugs were perfectly legal and sold and regulated the way other drugs are, by law-abiding and tax-paying entities such as drug stores.

In that hypothetical, would traffic stops as pretext for finding drugs even happen?

Back
Top Bottom