• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Parents force to teach evolution?

Should parents be forced to teach evolution in home school?

• Yes, it has been proven scientific and should be in the home school curriculum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it should be an option in the curriculum.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Indifferent [please post]

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
If the parents disagree with evolution and refuses to teach it per the core curriculum, should the state mandate that they be sent to public schools?

If you look to the rather lively forum on evolution vs. creation, my position is that either of them are positions of faith, as neither can be proven or disproven. Just as it would be wrong for the state to require Christian parents to teach their children about Islamic beliefs, or Jewish parents about Buddhism, it would be wrong for them to require them to teach them about a belief regarding our origin that they don't agree with.

vauge said:
If the parents disagree with evolution and refuses to teach it per the core curriculum, should the state mandate that they be sent to public schools?
Isn't this one of the main reasons some parent Home School? Not trying to be funny, really don't know. But if kids are home schooled why would the state insist they be taught subject matter that goes against their religion? Wouldn't that too be a seperation of church and state issue?

I'm really not sure that evolution is something appropriate for younger children. The concepts involved in genetic mutations are, generally speaking, above the abilities of children still in grade school. This is something that shouldn't be aproached until high school biology. I beleive the discussion of evolution as a creation myth should be left to a study in religion rather than a scientific discussion. Any concepts of evolution in science should be kept to natural selection and genetic mutations. I did not begin breeding genetic mutations into fruit flies until I was in college.

As far as evolution not being proven, I would completely disagree. As far as evolution being an explanation for how we got here, it's incomplete at best and does not truly qualify as a cosmology, however, the idea of mutations for the benefit of a species is very easy to see when you look at the survivability of flies with vestigial wings versus normal flies.

The leap of logic is actually rather simple to follow. Physical traits are hard coded in our DNA. Traits that prove fatal are not passed down to the next generation because they proved fatal. Fatal traits are eliminated through survivable breeding. Mutations that help increase survivablility are generally passed on for similar reasons.

For further information on this subject, I would suggest studying genetics. The concepts I have mentioned only scratch the surface.

Pacridge said:
Isn't this one of the main reasons some parent Home School? Not trying to be funny, really don't know. But if kids are home schooled why would the state insist they be taught subject matter that goes against their religion? Wouldn't that too be a seperation of church and state issue?

Yes, this is a big issue for home schoolers. I believe that one's position on evolution/creation is a position of faith, so it should be up to the particular family to decide, not the government.

Any government requirements in this area could reasonably be viewed as a violation of separation of church and state.

LiberalFINGER said:
I'm really not sure that evolution is something appropriate for younger children. The concepts involved in genetic mutations are, generally speaking, above the abilities of children still in grade school. This is something that shouldn't be aproached until high school biology. I beleive the discussion of evolution as a creation myth should be left to a study in religion rather than a scientific discussion. Any concepts of evolution in science should be kept to natural selection and genetic mutations. I did not begin breeding genetic mutations into fruit flies until I was in college.

As far as evolution not being proven, I would completely disagree. As far as evolution being an explanation for how we got here, it's incomplete at best and does not truly qualify as a cosmology, however, the idea of mutations for the benefit of a species is very easy to see when you look at the survivability of flies with vestigial wings versus normal flies.

The leap of logic is actually rather simple to follow. Physical traits are hard coded in our DNA. Traits that prove fatal are not passed down to the next generation because they proved fatal. Fatal traits are eliminated through survivable breeding. Mutations that help increase survivablility are generally passed on for similar reasons.

For further information on this subject, I would suggest studying genetics. The concepts I have mentioned only scratch the surface.
You breed fruit flies?

Back
Top Bottom