• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Parental notification

FISHX

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Are you for or against and what reasons behind your answer?

FISHX said:

Against. Forces family communication when there is much communication already. Its condescending and an invasion of privacy for both mother and family.

If if the proposition passed, abortions would still continue as organizations would pop up servicing young women who need help getting to court or pleading their case for abortion.

Too many loopholes, too much condescension. The abortion process needs to be rehauled in a different way or if anything outright banned (I am totally against that though), but this parental notification stuff is just plain WEAK.

Its just the dumbest thing I've ever of heard really.

Preventing abortion is great and all that, but the problem is that these abortions are wanted in the first place. I don't know what the cure is for these wanted abortions, maybe better education about contraception, religious beliefs or greater protection for women who are bulled by older men or sexual predators.

purplezen said:

Do you live underground, isolated from the rest of humanity?

The Real McCoy said:
Do you live underground, isolated from the rest of humanity?

LOL

No, I just have a short memory.

purplezen said:
Against. Forces family communication when there is much communication already. Its condescending and an invasion of privacy for both mother and family.

If if the proposition passed, abortions would still continue as organizations would pop up servicing young women who need help getting to court or pleading their case for abortion.

Too many loopholes, too much condescension. The abortion process needs to be rehauled in a different way or if anything outright banned (I am totally against that though), but this parental notification stuff is just plain WEAK.

Preventing abortion is great and all that, but the problem is that these abortions are wanted in the first place. I don't know what the cure is for these wanted abortions, maybe better education about contraception, religious beliefs or greater protection for women who are bulled by older men or sexual predators.[/QUOTE]

Jeez. What was on when I wrote this crap?

Abortion is pretty much "I don't want the baby" and no questions asked right? How could they ask questions...

It doesn't seem right. How do you tell if a young woman is being pressured into it, or afraid of admitting that she has been sexually abused?

I guess there can be hidden crimes behind any medical procedure. Walk in with a deep knife wound, "how did this happens sir", "uhm..gang fight...no, I mean I cut myself cooking".

Crappy analogy. I think abortion carries more weight than a medical procedure. There are spiritual, emotional consequences. Physical loss without losing anything that was there to start with.

If anything there ought to be more abortion counseling services, which could operate on both sides of the fence. Pro-life abortion counseling services or pro-choice services. Veiled of course...I don't think any young woman contemplating abortion would want counseling from someone who will tell her otherwise.

A true impartial service is required, perhaps just someone to talk to and not give advice. Especially if there may be bullying or a crime behind the pregnancy and wish for an abortion an impartial counselor could gain a young woman's trust and perhaps allow her to speak or take action against an injustice. Or perhaps let her gain enough courage to talk to her parents by her own will.

Oops, I'm talking to myself.

FISHX said:

This is a medical proceedure being performed on a minor,of course I think there should be parental notification.

A minor has to have parental consent to enlist,a minor has to have parental consent to get married a minor has to have parental consent for everything practically everything.Abortion should be no different.

You cannot even allow a doctor to remove a girl's tonsils without perental notification.

The only people against parental notification are the Pro-Abortion fanatics that are driving the Democratic Party and the vile Pro-Abortion agenda that has murdered over 40 million unborn human beings in America alone. These individuals have given undying support to a Pro-Abortion political agenda that can be compared to crimes against humanity.

They must be stopped.

They will be stopped.

ChristopherHall said:
You cannot even allow a doctor to remove a girl's tonsils without perental notification.

The only people against parental notification are the Pro-Abortion fanatics that are driving the Democratic Party and the vile Pro-Abortion agenda that has murdered over 40 million unborn human beings in America alone. These individuals have given undying support to a Pro-Abortion political agenda that can be compared to crimes against humanity.

They must be stopped.

They will be stopped.

Get off your couch then.

jamesrage said:
This is a medical proceedure being performed on a minor,of course I think there should be parental notification.

A minor has to have parental consent to enlist,a minor has to have parental consent to get married a minor has to have parental consent for everything practically everything.Abortion should be no different.

A minor doesn't need parental consent to give birth. If her parents are against her carrying the pregnancy to term should they be able to decide that she should terminate it?

righteousbabe said:
A minor doesn't need parental consent to give birth. If her parents are against her carrying the pregnancy to term should they be able to decide that she should terminate it?

No, the whole "We'll tell your parents" is just a scare tactic.

How is parental notification fruitful? If the gal doesn't communicate with her parents about that stuff already, how is forced communication gonna help?

righteousbabe said:
Then i guess minors do not need parental consent to be striped search for drugs,join the military to get married,questioned by the police and so on.

jamesrage said:

You're making too much sense. That means that you have no compassion.

mpg said:
You're making too much sense. That means that you have no compassion.

If abortion were only a medical procedure, then people wouldn't be making such a big stink about it.

ChristopherHall said:

They must be stopped.

They will be stopped.
You smoke crack and fantasize about your mother, don't you?
There has to be a contingency for emergencies. I would rather med pros save a childs life then wait for consent just because the nature of the procedure. This is a no brainer. If any one thinks there morals/religions are more important than some one's life, then that is the real crime against humanity.

purplezen said:
If abortion were only a medical procedure, then people wouldn't be making such a big stink about it.
It IS only a medical procedure. That prolifers have decided to assign emotional issues to it, that's their problem.

jamesrage said:
Then i guess minors do not need parental consent to be striped search for drugs,join the military to get married,questioned by the police and so on.

This is exactly my point. The law has decided that a minor DOES need parental consent for these things, but NOT to give birth and keep a baby. (Even though these things are both medical and very serious) Because they are also very personal decisions and the law has decided that parents are not in a position to decide these things for their children. I think that it should be the same with abortion.

righteousbabe said:
This is exactly my point. The law has decided that a minor DOES need parental consent for these things, but NOT to give birth and keep a baby. (Even though these things are both medical and very serious) Because they are also very personal decisions and the law has decided that parents are not in a position to decide these things for their children. I think that it should be the same with abortion.
So let me see if I have this right............
You don't think there should be a law or requirement that parents must be notified for their minors to have an abortion. You think the government should stay out of it.
Am I right?

righteousbabe said:

You do realize that alot of these of these parental consent and notification laws protect minors?With out them the police would not need a minor's parents to question him,The schools could have a doctor stick god knows what in you and recruiters could easily trick minors into going into the military.IN other words with out these parental notification and consent laws a minor could get seriously screwed.

righteousbabe said:
This is exactly my point. The law has decided that a minor DOES need parental consent for these things, but NOT to give birth and keep a baby.
Oh, so unless the parents allow it, she should be forced to give up her own baby. yes, the horros of the good old days when children were property

I don't think that parental notification for a minor to get an abortion should be requiered, no. For the reasons that I already stated. I know that minors are protected by some of the minor laws, but not like this.
Those things that you listed are for when a minor needs protection from an outside threat, not protection from making their own choices about their own bodies. Thats why a minor doesn't need parental consent to
1)keep a pregnancy to term
2) keep and raise a child
3) have an abortion
4)get birth control.

righteousbabe said:
I don't think that parental notification for a minor to get an abortion should be requiered, no. For the reasons that I already stated. I know that minors are protected by some of the minor laws, but not like this.
Those things that you listed are for when a minor needs protection from an outside threat, not protection from making their own choices about their own bodies. Thats why a minor doesn't need parental consent to
1)keep a pregnancy to term
2) keep and raise a child
3) have an abortion
4)get birth control.
BUT you're forgetting that more often than not, minors do not have the ability to make healthy choices. They are still kids with kid-like mentalities. (I know there are exceptions)
Are we supposed to just let them choose to do whatever they want?

steen said:
It IS only a medical procedure. That prolifers have decided to assign emotional issues to it, that's their problem.

Ahhhh but steen we again come to the it,s their problem is it not the problem of the mother of the minor if the said minor should get an infection due to the termination we all know that the start signs are conclusive with the common cold when in fact they could be fatal if not treated.

Now a mother who knows her daughter has terminated is more likely to act on the symptoms of the common cold than a mother who doesn,t know.

This is only about notification not consent so where is the harm in the parents being informed after the procedure before the minor is discharged from the clinic/hospital.

Steen says,

“It IS only a medical procedure. That pro-lifers have decided to assign emotional issues to it, that's their problem.”

Our problem?

There is a large movement to overturn Roe v Wade. Why were all the Democrats and liberals upset over Bushs picks for Supreme Court? They know exactly what is coming up the road. And if you think people all over this country are not motivated by emotions on both sides your sadly mistaken.

Why do you take emotions out of everything? Is it stupid to cry at weddings? Is it stupid to cry at funerals? Is it abnormal for a child to cry before getting a shot?…….One who says abortion is not an emotional issue just shows stupidity. It shows that someone is void of any feelings what so ever. I mean what do you think is normal, a person who acts like a robot?
Our world is not like Adolph Huxleys in A Brave New World.

This wouldn’t be an issue, and we wouldn’t be talking about this issue if it were not an emotional one……We wouldn’t be talking about this issue if everyone had your opinion about abortion, that it is nothing……that anyone had the right to kill an unborn child. We wouldn’t be talking about this issue if those who valued life just sat back and let liberals kill off the unborn child. It's about standing up for truth, and truth is not on your side. The law might be on your side, but not all laws are just and this is one of them. Slavery used to be legal too. Was that a just law? Was that one devoid of emotion liek you say abortion is? We on the pro-life side will NEVER stop working for the life of the unborn. We will never go away as we have proven. This issue has to be the most widely discussed issue in america today.

Why the support groups for woman traumatized from abortion? Why the counseling that is provided woman before and after if it is nothing more than a medical procedure?

happykat said:
BUT you're forgetting that more often than not, minors do not have the ability to make healthy choices. They are still kids with kid-like mentalities. (I know there are exceptions)
Are we supposed to just let them choose to do whatever they want?

If you think that kids are just kids that make kid choices, I have to ask my original question again; Do you think that a kid should have to get her parents permission before she is allowed to carry a pregnancy to term? Do you think that her parents should get to decide weather or not she keeps her new born baby?
Because I don't think that you can have it both ways. You can't say; "Kids just aren't mature enough to choose an abortion but they are mature enough to choose to carry the baby to term." If you say that then it just seems like you don't want the 'kid' to choose abortion. Which may be true and that's fine, but you don't get to make that choice.

Back
Top Bottom