• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Parental notification

jfuh said:
If the notification were after, possibly. But realistically, just the essence of there being a notification could put many girls at risk.
It's like going throwing a party at the house when the parents were out on the weekend. She may do it because she knows that they wouldn't know, but if she knew they would find out, she wouldn't throw the party. Same with an abortion, she will try so desperatly to conceal the fact she got knocked up that she may not get an abortion and delay till it's much later, or she may go to back alley abortions, putting herself at much greater risk. You can't stop kids from making stupid mistakes, that's life, but you can help to make it so that they have a healthy mindset of confronting and dealing with such issues.

Notification after the fact doesn't make sense, in my mind. Women undergoing an abortion, regardless of age, NEED support. They need counseling, and they need guidance. If a girl is that afraid of her parents that she can't share the fact that she's pregnant and wants to get an abortion, that family has more serious issues at hand. How can you even compare an issue like this to throwing a party while mom and dad are out of town? Two completely different ball fields. Regardless, notification before the procedure is performed is the most logical thing. That way, her parents will be able to help her prepare (perhaps even monetarily, so she doesn't have to go to some back alley clinic).

You're right in saying that kids need to learn by making their own mistakes....but having an abortion is a lot more than "making a mistake". That's something that is going to affect her for the rest of her life, whether or not she acknowledges it.

I stand by my opinion. If my child couldn't even see a doctor for a common cold, why should she be allowed to be placed under a local anesthetic and have that major of a medical procedure without my knowledge? It just doesn't make sense.

I don't expect to ever change your mind, you seem rather set in your ways, but think about it from a mothers' point of view, or even as a father. Wouldn't you want to know if your daughter was going through something like that? Would you really want her to deal with it on her own? I think that while sure, many parents would be freaked out, they would also be parents and be concerned for their child, and want to help them make the best decision and then get through everything that entails.

Stace said:
Notification after the fact doesn't make sense, in my mind. Women undergoing an abortion, regardless of age, NEED support. They need counseling, and they need guidance. If a girl is that afraid of her parents that she can't share the fact that she's pregnant and wants to get an abortion, that family has more serious issues at hand. How can you even compare an issue like this to throwing a party while mom and dad are out of town? Two completely different ball fields. Regardless, notification before the procedure is performed is the most logical thing. That way, her parents will be able to help her prepare (perhaps even monetarily, so she doesn't have to go to some back alley clinic).
Yes, I agree that notification after the fact doens't make sense, but you must agree that notification prior to the act then impeded on the freedom of choice for the girl, in many many issues. Relgious concerns of the family being a huge factor. I compare the party and abortion on the basis of the notification. Both are things that the girls most likly may not want the parents to know, both have serious consequences in the general sense. Not all parents would support thier childs decision to get an abortion, and not all would support a party over the weekend.

Stace said:
You're right in saying that kids need to learn by making their own mistakes....but having an abortion is a lot more than "making a mistake". That's something that is going to affect her for the rest of her life, whether or not she acknowledges it.
Not entirely accurate, as I believe that having a child or being pregnant during your highschool years is a much more life altering arrangement. No parties, no friends, the pshycological impact ect. Something like that during the developement years would have much more detrimental impact on her than say getting an abortion would.

Stace said:
I stand by my opinion. If my child couldn't even see a doctor for a common cold, why should she be allowed to be placed under a local anesthetic and have that major of a medical procedure without my knowledge? It just doesn't make sense.
The difference is that an abortion is a constitutionally gaurenteed right. Where as recieving medical coverage is not. Yeah ironic.

Stace said:
I don't expect to ever change your mind, you seem rather set in your ways, but think about it from a mothers' point of view, or even as a father. Wouldn't you want to know if your daughter was going through something like that? Would you really want her to deal with it on her own? I think that while sure, many parents would be freaked out, they would also be parents and be concerned for their child, and want to help them make the best decision and then get through everything that entails.
Of course I would want to know, and as I stated in my previous arguments it would be a serious failure on my behalf as a parent were my daughter to find herself unable to confide in us on such matters as sexuality and abortion. Impeeding on her privacy in such a matter however would only sour things further. She would certainly feel a severe invasion of her privacy in the same way were I to listen in on her phone conversations or to invade on who she is dating. I don't doubt of the concern because that is what every parent should be aware of. It's exactly the freaking out part that I think is over the hill with regards to a woman that she shouldn't have to put up with. Now if my daughter were pregnant at 14~17, or actually any age, sure I'd want to know about it. I'd want to know who the guy is and as much as I can about the situation. More than likly I would hope that she'd get an abortion because I know she is not of any age that is able to take care of such a child since she herself is still a child. Also as mentioned earlier the impact of bearing a child at developmental ages would be much more detrimental than the proceedure itself.
Finally I would hope that for the most part I as a parent would have done the most I could to instill a positive and healthy attitude in my children about sex and how to deal with situations in sex so that abortion would never arrise.

jfuh said:
Yes, I agree that notification after the fact doens't make sense, but you must agree that notification prior to the act then impeded on the freedom of choice for the girl, in many many issues. Relgious concerns of the family being a huge factor.

The only choice she is losing is that of whether or not to tell her parents...Compared to some of the alternatives (such as, oh, dying because of complications and her parents didn't know what was wrong and therefore couldn't get proper medical attention), I don't think that's giving up very much.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....today's parents just aren't as involved as they should be, and that's why this issue exists in the first place.

Not entirely accurate, as I believe that having a child or being pregnant during your highschool years is a much more life altering arrangement. No parties, no friends, the pshycological impact ect. Something like that during the developement years would have much more detrimental impact on her than say getting an abortion would.

I agree, but having an abortion can seriously screw with a person's mind, as can a miscarriage. It's something that I don't think a minor is emotionally equipped to handle, and the counselors at the clinics can only help so much. If parents are notified, they can help their daughter, and help arrange for other counseling.

The difference is that an abortion is a constitutionally gaurenteed right. Where as recieving medical coverage is not. Yeah ironic.

Technically speaking, abortion isn't specifically guaranteed. The Supreme Court ruled the way they did in Roe v. Wade because of the way some of the Amendments are worded. But that's beside the point....

We can keep bantering back and forth all you'd like, but this is all starting to sound like a broken record.

FISHX said:
Are you for or against and what reasons behind your answer?

I'm for it. You need parental notification to go on field trips, right? So why not for abortions? Plus, if you're under 18 your parents still have every right to control your life.

Stace said:
The only choice she is losing is that of whether or not to tell her parents...Compared to some of the alternatives (such as, oh, dying because of complications and her parents didn't know what was wrong and therefore couldn't get proper medical attention), I don't think that's giving up very much.
As stated earlier, which I feel you should agree, such complications can all be avoided in proper medical environments, not to mention proper education of the individual of the medical applications and treatments.

Stace said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again....today's parents just aren't as involved as they should be, and that's why this issue exists in the first place.
I agree, too many parents are irresponsible. But that shouldn't have to be a burden on the child. If the parents were so irresponsible in the first place, all the more reason that the child shouldn't need a notification for her right to choose.

Stace said:
I agree, but having an abortion can seriously screw with a person's mind, as can a miscarriage. It's something that I don't think a minor is emotionally equipped to handle, and the counselors at the clinics can only help so much. If parents are notified, they can help their daughter, and help arrange for other counseling.
Yes I agree completely. But as we've debated earlier, I don't think irresponsible parents would fair any better at counseling, if not have much more detrimental affects on the next generation. I feel that there should be a general straight forward system in place that educates our next generation about sexuality in a healthy, positive attitude, as opposed to the Taboo that it seems today with many families.

jamesrage said:
Seems to fit the definition

murder
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): mur·dered; mur·der·ing /'m&r-d(&-)ri[ng]/
transitive senses
1 : to kill (a human being) unlawfully and with premeditated malice
2 : to slaughter wantonly : SLAY
3 a : to put an end to b : TEASE, TORMENT c : MUTILATE, MANGLE <murders French> d : to defeat badly
intransitive senses : to commit murd
Nope. Murder is the illegal killing of a person.

Donkey1499 said:
I'm for it. You need parental notification to go on field trips, right? So why not for abortions? Plus, if you're under 18 your parents still have every right to control your life.

LOL...when I was in school, my mom had to sign a permission slip so I could watch Schindler's List...a couple of other things as well.

Back
Top Bottom