• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pardons

Who gets a Presidential pardon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Who gets a pardon?

I think he won't pardon Guiliani. His kids, probably.

Being that it is Trump we are talking about here, we may see a slew of nonspecific pardons across his family and close associates in a manner unequal in all of US Presidential history.

The biggest get out of jail free card we've ever seen, including himself.

And he has stacked the Supreme Court to make them effectively beyond challenge.

What do pardons do to Trump’s 2024 campaign?

Nixon’s pardon wasn’t challenged in court, these might get some pushback,,,,

Presidential Pardons should not be a thing for anyone.

All the above, and then some. Perhaps those signing the affidavits of voter fraud too.

Presidential Pardons should not be a thing for anyone.
I don't agree with this.

I do think they should be limited and that you should not be able to pardon anyone who has been under your employ, appointed by you, in your family, or yourself. I think there should be some written restrictions that prevent pardons for money. I also think there needs to be a restriction on when you can pardon someone. As in, you shouldn't be able to pardon someone until after charges for a specific crime have been filed against a person.

What do pardons do to Trump’s 2024 campaign?

Nixon’s pardon wasn’t challenged in court, these might get some pushback,,,,

It should ruin his chances, but it won't.

I don't agree with this.

I do think they should be limited and that you should not be able to pardon anyone who has been under your employ, appointed by you, in your family, or yourself. I think there should be some written restrictions that prevent pardons for money. I also think there needs to be a restriction on when you can pardon someone. As in, you shouldn't be able to pardon someone until after charges for a specific crime have been filed against a person.

My main objection is it shouldn't be a power given to anyone to just overrule the law.
I'd have no problem with a President having the power to order a retrial if there's evidence of a miscarriage of justice that doesn't quite meet the normal standard required but that should be it.

saudi prince.jpg

This is the kind of nonsense thread I've commented about in prior posts from time to time.

It is just reinforcing moral panic; more of the perpetual witch-hunt so many of the members of what I call the "disloyal opposition" seem to like to engage in on daily basis here.

1. There is no need for Trump to pardon anyone in his family, nor is there any need for Trump to be pardoned himself. IMO only blind, partisan confirmation bias causes anyone to expect or threaten this.

2. I find it simply amazing how so many people have bought into the Gaslighting by the MSM, Social Media, and the Democrat Party leadership lock, stock and barrel. Willing to ignore the fact that Trump has been audited by the IRS for decades, that he has been investigated by the Obama Administration and they found nothing, even after it carried over into the Mueller Investigation. (Please don't bring up "Obstruction" B.S.. When someone is innocent they will object to being smeared because people only remember the smears. Just look at those poor kids in the Duke Lacrosse case, and some people still believe the Covington Kids were guilty of something.) Hell, many people still believe Trump was a "Siberian Candidate."

3. Meanwhile ignore all the issues raised with the Biden's which got almost no coverage outside "Conservative" media. Also ignored or downplayed by most of the media were all those various other scandals of "leftist" idols with feet of clay like Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, etc.. No, those sources of "Fake News" and propaganda were too busy stirring the pot of true hatred and intolerance by those who scream "BURN THE WITCH" at anyone who does not toe the preferred ideological line.

What do people seek with threads like these? There is no "debate," unless one calls arguing about what punishments the Trump "criminals" deserve for "unspecified crimes"...once the witch-hunters find a crime to charge them with. :rolleyes:

Reminds me AGAIN of that Soviet secret police chief Lavrentiy Beria, who is alleged to have told Comrade Stalin "Show me the man and I'll show (fabricate) you the crime."

Last edited:
This is the kind of nonsense thread I've commented about in prior posts from time to time.

It is just reinforcing moral panic; more of the perpetual witch-hunt so many of the members of what I call the "disloyal opposition" seem to like to engage in on daily basis here.

1. There is no need for Trump to pardon anyone in his family, nor is there any need for Trump to be pardoned himself. IMO only blind, partisan confirmation bias causes anyone to expect or threaten this.

2. I find it simply amazing how so many people have bought into the Gaslighting by the MSM, Social Media, and the Democrat Party leadership lock, stock and barrel. Willing to ignore the fact that Trump has been audited by the IRS for decades, that he has been investigated by the Obama Administration and they found nothing, even after it carried over into the Mueller Investigation. (Please don't bring up "Obstruction" B.S.. When someone is innocent they will object to being smeared because people only remember the smears. Just look at those poor kids in the Duke Lacrosse case, and some people still believe the Covington Kids were guilty of something.) Hell, many people still believe Trump was a "Siberian Candidate."

3. Meanwhile ignore all the issues raised with the Biden's which got almost no coverage outside "Conservative" media. Also ignored or downplayed by most of the media were all those various other scandals of "leftist" idols with feet of clay like Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, etc.. No, those sources of "Fake News" and propaganda were too busy stirring the pot of true hatred and intolerance by those who scream "BURN THE WITCH" at anyone who does not toe the preferred ideological line.

What do people seek with threads like these? There is no "debate," unless one calls arguing about what punishments the Trump "criminals" deserve for "unspecified crimes"...once the witch-hunters find a crime to charge them with. :rolleyes:

Reminds me AGAIN of that Soviet secret police chief Lavrentiy Beria, who is alleged to have told Comrade Stalin "Show me the man and I'll show (fabricate) you the crime."
The IRS isn't looking for conflicts of interest.

I don't agree with this.

Unless I’m misunderstanding what you mean by pardons for money, the President cannot accept a bribe to pardon someone. He’d be open to criminal charges if he did. (And no I do not think he can pardon himself).

He’s effectively attempted a self-coup by leaning on governors to subvert the vote in their states. Pardoning his family and himself is nothing compared to that.

Unless I’m misunderstanding what you mean by pardons for money, the President cannot accept a bribe to pardon someone. He’d be open to criminal charges if he did. (And no I do not think he can pardon himself).
I do think so, but I would like it to basically be set in writing explicitly with other things, such as favors or deals of any kind for a pardon. As well as restricting any pardons for any of the President's family or anyone who has worked for him/her during their administration/candidacy (either within government or on a private level), at least.

I have only one thing about pardons that didn't pass the smell test....Marc Rich

I'm curious, does Trump just hand out blanket pardons for all possible crimes, or are they for specific charges?

Who gets a pardon?
I'm just waiting until the scenario I read in some sci-fi book comes to pass - a president secretly hires assassins to kill his opponents, including judges, and appoints replacements while pardoning the assassins.

A bit crazy, but I don't think it's technically illegal/unconstitutional.

I'm curious, does Trump just hand out blanket pardons for all possible crimes, or are they for specific charges?

Blanket. It could be “For all (Federal) crimes committed up to [present moment].”

Blanket. It could be “For all (Federal) crimes committed up to [present moment].”

Edited to add, "and it's not likely necessary to even be that specific."

I'm only aware of three constraints of a pardon:

1)Can only apply to Federal and not state crimes.
2)Cannot apply to future crimes.
3)Cannot pardon himself (there is a 126% chance this will end up being tested in the courts).

He doesn't have to pardon his kids or himself. They haven't committed any crimes. Maybe Joe should pardon Hunter and himself. Some real crooks there.

Back
Top Bottom