• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pardon me 4 asking?

The Seperation of Church and State is found in the establishment clause, which is not part of the Constitution but part of the First Ammendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The founders assumed that defining the state as secular would be pointless because of the nature of the revolution and the colonizatin of America.

That nature was to flee religious tyranny and state-enforced religious law.

ShamMol said:
Originally Posted by Fantasea
I'm trying to conduct an objective discussion. Why would you think you are the subject? Personally, I don't care in the least what you are. That's your business and none of mine.

Alright. I think that they believe that in a sense they are a religion of non-believers in the loosest definition but in the same sense rebel against religion. I think that they are kinda self-hating, but sometimes don't realize it.
According to Merriam-Webster's definition of religion, it's so loose as to be non-existent.

Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back —more at RELY
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 : archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
- re·li·gion·less adjective

stsburns said:
I have a question that may sound stupid?
:3oops:
"Has anyone actually found the qoute in the Constitution where 'Separation of Church and State' is stated literally or implied?"

No :spin: :rofl

Save that 4 your news channell! :lol:

My loose understanding is that the supreme court used the letter others have mentioned to come to the conclusion of "seperation of church and state".

in my opinion, it isnt a question of whether or not the seperation of church and state is clearly stated in the constitution, its how its judicially interpreted. i think a lot of people need to remember that Americans have the right to the seperation of church and state, not serperation of church and society.

Stinger said:
Yes, the first amendment, congress shall make no law respecting an estabishment of religion.

Government and religious organizations should not mix in any official capacity. And it remains curious to me that conservatives of religious faith would want government to be involved in thier religious faith in any way shape or form. They should be the ones demanding the seperation.

The establishment clause of the first amendment was never meant to exclude religion from American government, or from government subsidized organizations. What it was designed to do was keep the government from passing laws designed to limit religious freedom. The writings of the Founding Fathers are very clear in regard to government and religion. Realizing first hand what can happen when a government institutes a national religion, our founders sought to prevent such an event from ever happening here. That is why it is found in the first amendment, which talks about free speech. Their intent was to keep politics out of religion, not religion and/or religious principles out of government.

The Supreme Court made an egregious error in this interpretation. And it is now so ingrained into our society; people think that “separation between church and state” actually appears in the constitution.

Back
Top Bottom