• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paradox Games

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
They have made such greats as Europa Universalis, Cursader Kings, and many more. Last month they put out Stellaris, which I just picked up and is great. It is EU is space, with a smoother learning curve, great graphics and an improved interface. 4X, done by EU. Endlessly customizable, tons of fun. I spent 45 minutes the first game before I ever unpaused it, but when I started my next game(couple hours later, after I realized my mistakes the first time), I was cruising along in 5 minutes. Highly recommended.

And next week, Hearts of Iron 4 is out. Hearts of Iron 3 is easily the steam game with the most hours in it for me(623 hours), and 4 looks like a really solid evolution. More control, but not overwhelming. Did my pre-order the same time I ordered Stellaris. Any one else playing Stellaris, or going to play HoI4?

CK2 was my freaking LIFE for a couple of months there. lol

I've put a few tens of hours into EU4 (mostly with converted CK2 empires), but it just doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me for whatever reason. New DLCs also have an annoying habit of ruining my saves, forcing me to start over from scratch.

Stellaris seems pretty alright so far, but I think I might need to A) upgrade my rig, and B) probably wait for a few DLCs to come out before I really commit to it. Mid to late game lags rather significantly (at least on the galaxy sizes I tend to prefer - 1000 or more stars), and the depth is somewhat lacking in comparison to other Paradox titles so far. The absence of espionage and trade in particular is kind of jarring.

I simply haven't had the time to try HOI or Vicky yet. However, I'd kind of like to do a "marathon" playthrough - CK2's earliest start date all the way through to Stellaris - if I ever got the chance.

Last edited:
They have made such greats as Europa Universalis, Cursader Kings, and many more. Last month they put out Stellaris, which I just picked up and is great. It is EU is space, with a smoother learning curve, great graphics and an improved interface. 4X, done by EU. Endlessly customizable, tons of fun. I spent 45 minutes the first game before I ever unpaused it, but when I started my next game(couple hours later, after I realized my mistakes the first time), I was cruising along in 5 minutes. Highly recommended.

And next week, Hearts of Iron 4 is out. Hearts of Iron 3 is easily the steam game with the most hours in it for me(623 hours), and 4 looks like a really solid evolution. More control, but not overwhelming. Did my pre-order the same time I ordered Stellaris. Any one else playing Stellaris, or going to play HoI4?

Couldn't really get into HOI and Vicky.
Stellaris is good, needs a couple more patches to make it great.

If you're not an achievement whore, I recommend mods to mend some issues, for me clustered starts is one.
Combat needs to better balanced too.

Playing around with modded skyrim until they fix those issues.

I have played a few hours of Stellaris and love it in theory, but need to have time to dig into it. It reminds me of one of my favorite indie 4x games StarDrive.

Having spent a lot of time with Galactic Civ 3 maybe I just need a break from 4x for a bit. I found myself hitting and early wall with Total War: Warhammer as well for probably the same reason.

I have played a few hours of Stellaris and love it in theory, but need to have time to dig into it. It reminds me of one of my favorite indie 4x games StarDrive.

Having spent a lot of time with Galactic Civ 3 maybe I just need a break from 4x for a bit. I found myself hitting and early wall with Total War: Warhammer as well for probably the same reason.

I hit that wall alot with games for the last several years. Think maybe it is me getting old.

I find myself liking Stellaris more and more recently, in part for it's well designed, easy to use interface. I think maybe struggling to do anything with the interface in HoI4 has something to do with that. So much good in HoI4, and the interface is just such a pain...

Back
Top Bottom