• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paper Industry Tests Genetically Altered Trees

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
ArborGen, a biotechnology venture affiliated with three large paper companies, got U.S. Department of Agriculture approval last month for field trials involving as many as 250,000 trees planted at 29 sites during the next few years. Much smaller lots of the genetically altered trees have been growing in some of the states for years.

Australian eucalyptus trees grow faster than native hardwoods and produce high-quality pulp perfect for paper production, but thus far, they have been able to thrive only in very warm climates. South Carolina-based ArborGen genetically altered the trees to withstand freezing temperatures, and the idea with the test forests is to see how far north they can now be grown.

Paper Industry Tests Genetically Altered Trees - ABC News

Rock On!

and hemp grows even quicker.. without a need to modify anything, granted there is only 1 harvest a year for it though.

and hemp grows even quicker.. without a need to modify anything, granted there is only 1 harvest a year for it though.

Hemp is perfect for pulp and for clothing

As for eucalyptus trees, dont we know the outcome of using GM eucalyptus trees?

Mutant Koala bears, by god people do we really want flesh eating koala's that can survive freezing temperatures to have expanded territory

Hemp is perfect for pulp and for clothing

As for eucalyptus trees, dont we know the outcome of using GM eucalyptus trees?

Mutant Koala bears, by god people do we really want flesh eating koala's that can survive freezing temperatures to have expanded territory

i wonder what mutant koalas would look like, but you've never heard of drop bears, have you :)

i wonder what mutant koalas would look like, but you've never heard of drop bears, have you :)

I have heard of drop bears, but as I understand things, no one has seen one and lived.

As for mutant Koala bears, they would be cute off course but with fangs (uses hands to gesture large) and have mean streak a mile wide, with the ability to jump great distances.

In other words like the vile beast guarding the cave in the "Search for the Holy Grail" but a Koala bear instead

From what I've heard koala's are already kind of mean. Genetic alteration would be more for giving them super-strength and acid spit so that they could become an army capable of taking over the world! BWHAHAHAHAHA!

Pffft. If Hearst hadn't gotten America all messed up about canabis in the late 1920's, we would have the best paper, rope, and food pulp in the world. Thanks, Randall, for looking after your own interest in buying national forest in northern California, and getting the government to burn thousands of miles of cash crop for Americans in middle America.

So they can grow pure white trees in sheets? :mrgreen:

The taxes on hemp so are high to avoid it from competing with a lot of different industries. It is a plant that could essentially provide most of our needs: fuel, nutrition, paper, clothing, medicine, etc.

The reefer madness era made sure that hemp would never be a viable competitor in the market.

Back
Top Bottom