• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pandering to Geezers

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Kirk neglects to mention that even some Republicans favor moderating the growth of (aka "cutting") Medicare spending. Republican Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, one of the party's young visionaries, proposes to save money by replacing the existing entitlement with vouchers, so retirees can buy private coverage.

That may or may not be the optimal remedy, but there is no escaping the need to contain entitlement costs. The anti-deficit Concord Coalition points out that by 2042, absent reform, Social Security will take 50 percent more out of the economy than it does today, forcing a big increase in payroll taxes. The outlook for Medicare is even worse. Something has to give.

Pandering to Geezers - Reason Magazine

Entitlements have to be cut and cut badly, the sweeping under rug tactic no longer works. It be dealt with sooner than later.

They're the ones who're responsible for this unsustainable system.

c8da78fa57622191de261edfa7d7a5c0.jpg

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.

So there really are death panels already?

Yeah lets go after "The Greatest Generation" the people who without we might not be here..Lets take away the entitlements they have earned............

Yeah lets go after "The Greatest Generation" the people who without we might not be here..Lets take away the entitlements they have earned............
You mean the ones that they entitled themselves to and didn't have the kids to support it.

Screw them. I'm not paying for their improvidence and selfishness.

"................................"

You mean the ones that they entitled themselves to and didn't have the kids to support it.

So I take it you will never utilize any govt. program (unemployment, Social Security, Medicare, etc).
As far as your last sentance, I think its is pretty self centered and disrespectful to think that of those who lived through the depression and carried the US through WWII. But hey, some of them died so you have the right to your opinion. You do have that right, I just disagree with what you said about that generation of Americans.

I can think of many things the govt. has spent tax dollars on that was / is a waste.

Last edited:
The greatest generation is not the problem. Social security won't have money issues until they are dead. The problem is the boomers who are alive right now who think that they don't have to pay any taxes now, but still deserve entitlements in the future. If they keep up the current trends I am certainly not going to want to pay for their greed when SS goes to hell.

The greatest generation is not the problem. Social security won't have money issues until they are dead. The problem is the boomers who are alive right now who think that they don't have to pay any taxes now, but still deserve entitlements in the future. If they keep up the current trends I am certainly not going to want to pay for their greed when SS goes to hell.
Pretty much this, I just tend to confuse the terms "Greatest Generation" and the Boomers.

No the ones that paid all the SS that congress spent on other things. If Congress would pay back the IOU's there would not be a shortage

:lol: yeah. because Congress is just awash in a surplus lately.

They're the ones who're responsible for this unsustainable system.

c8da78fa57622191de261edfa7d7a5c0.jpg

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying

drugs ????

look at the pic again. probably a hippie from the 60's. if you live long enough that's you. so tell us, couch potato, what contribution your generation will make???

Pandering to Geezers - Reason Magazine

Entitlements have to be cut and cut badly, the sweeping under rug tactic no longer works. It be dealt with sooner than later.

Okay, non-geezer. Here's the deal. The government is NEVER going to cut back on benefits geezers are currently receiving, so get that lil' thought right outa' yer lil' head. Ain't happenin'.

If you want change!!! It's your damn turn. Have at it! And good luck with it.

Government of the people, by the geezers, for the geezers!

drugs ????

look at the pic again. probably a hippie from the 60's. if you live long enough that's you. so tell us, couch potato, what contribution your generation will make???

iPhones are pretty neat

drugs ????

I'll go with "not doing dumb **** and expecting the next generation to suffer for it."

Okay, non-geezer. Here's the deal. The government is NEVER going to cut back on benefits geezers are currently receiving, so get that lil' thought right outa' yer lil' head. Ain't happenin'.

of course it will. as they are learning now in europe, no amount of angry denial will alter fiscal reality

of course it will. as they are learning now in europe, no amount of angry denial will alter fiscal reality

No, they may change the formula for people aged "X" (like 48 or so), but they aren't going to be taking benefits from anyone already receiving them.

Now, having said that, I could see the IRS wanting a chunk of it even if one is earning less than $30K. In fact, I think I'd support that myself.

Interesting article. There is soooo much room for reform. I personally know of someone (I handled her estate) who passed away in January. She was enrolled in the taxpayer subsidized Medicare Advantage Plan and paid little, if anything, for her meds. Her estate was worth over $1 million. All of her money was kept in tax-free bonds and annuities -- which, apparently, aren't counted when figuring income.

If they'd just close the damn loopholes!!!!!

Interesting article. There is soooo much room for reform. I personally know of someone (I handled her estate) who passed away in January. She was enrolled in the taxpayer subsidized Medicare Advantage Plan and paid little, if anything, for her meds. Her estate was worth over $1 million. All of her money was kept in tax-free bonds and annuities -- which, apparently, aren't counted when figuring income.

If they'd just close the damn loopholes!!!!!

And stop the fraud

No, they may change the formula for people aged "X" (like 48 or so), but they aren't going to be taking benefits from anyone already receiving them.

that depends; likely what we will see is a push to limit the growth of benefits, which will be the same as reducing them over time. frankly, given the age expectancies, i wouldnt' be surprised at all if people recently on benefits now saw means-testing and other alterations to their benefits in their lifetime. in fact, i would be rather surprised if they didn't.

And stop the fraud

fraud in medicare is lots of money, no doubt. but compared to the unfunded liabilities? suggesting cleaning up fraud to help plug that hole is like sending my three year old and his plastic bucket to dig the panama canal.

A lot of boomers I know are of the opinion that their parent's (greatest generation) efforts and sacrifices should be carried over to the next generation. We can't afford that. A lot of nice things were done for the greatest generation, GI Bill in particular, but it can be said that they earned it. But boomers? I was born in the first boomer year, 1946, and faced the draft, but most boomers did not. There was a time when most of us served in the military, now few of us do.
Societal Benefits should be earned and/or paid for by the generation receiving them, not inherited from previous generations.

fraud in medicare is lots of money, no doubt. but compared to the unfunded liabilities? suggesting cleaning up fraud to help plug that hole is like sending my three year old and his plastic bucket to dig the panama canal.

So cutting benefits and doctors pay without stopping fraud makes sense?

A lot of boomers I know are of the opinion that their parent's (greatest generation) efforts and sacrifices should be carried over to the next generation. We can't afford that. A lot of nice things were done for the greatest generation, GI Bill in particular, but it can be said that they earned it. But boomers? I was born in the first boomer year, 1946, and faced the draft, but most boomers did not. There was a time when most of us served in the military, now few of us do.
Societal Benefits should be earned and/or paid for by the generation receiving them, not inherited from previous generations.

When we pay Congress spends it on somethingh else.

Back
Top Bottom