• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Panama Papers: No American Politicians Involved?

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
NBC News seems distressed by the fact that no prominent Americans show up in the Panama Papers. They have no idea why that's the case, but they feel compelled to speculate. Because it just can't be that Americans are more honest, refraining from hiding money in offshore shell corporations. No, especially rich and powerful Americans. There's got to be an explanation. Maybe they are doing it elsewhere, or something.

Maybe it's that in America the government knows. Reporting requirements being what they are, the government knows when a bundle of money leaves one firm and arrives at another. A big pile of money can't just disappear into or come out of nowhere. If one does the US Financial Crimes Network is going to want to know why.

It's likely that this release of information is meant to serve certain US special interests. It seems George Soros is connected to ICIJ that released the information, and his animosity towards Russia is well known.

This has apparently stopped the inversion play between Pfizer and Allergan. That might be a good thing.

If this is meant to make the US look good, it's working, but it's other propaganda benefits will take weeks to fully develop.

Naturally the US media is asking no questions.....

Remember that is just one of the companies that make phony companies in Panama, I believe there are 5 more that we don't have leaks on...

Well the ICIJ said just wait and see when asked that question. You have to remember there are terabytes of data to sift through and on top of that they have to piece things together and do more research.

NBC News seems distressed by the fact that no prominent Americans show up in the Panama Papers. They have no idea why that's the case, but they feel compelled to speculate. Because it just can't be that Americans are more honest, refraining from hiding money in offshore shell corporations. No, especially rich and powerful Americans. There's got to be an explanation. Maybe they are doing it elsewhere, or something.

Maybe it's that in America the government knows. Reporting requirements being what they are, the government knows when a bundle of money leaves one firm and arrives at another. A big pile of money can't just disappear into or come out of nowhere. If one does the US Financial Crimes Network is going to want to know why.

"The passports of at least 200 Americans show up in this week’s massive leak of secret data on secretive offshore shell companies."
Americans show up in the Panama Papers, too | McClatchy DC

The release of the papers are highly controlled by the media organisations involved. Those that are in the public domain (as I understand it) are only a fraction of the documents and the media organisations involved are holding back with most of it. There is speculation that certain countries and persons are being targeted and others are being "protected".. at least for now.

If you look at the main headliners so far, we have dictators or FIFA/UEFA people basically and a leader from a small north Atlantic Island.. Basically it has been the usual suspects. Assad, Putin, random UEFA/FIFA member, bunch of Arabs and Chinese leaders..

But saying that there is a hell of a lot of documents to filter through.

The release of the papers are highly controlled by the media organisations involved. Those that are in the public domain (as I understand it) are only a fraction of the documents and the media organisations involved are holding back with most of it. There is speculation that certain countries and persons are being targeted and others are being "protected".. at least for now.

If you look at the main headliners so far, we have dictators or FIFA/UEFA people basically and a leader from a small north Atlantic Island.. Basically it has been the usual suspects. Assad, Putin, random UEFA/FIFA member, bunch of Arabs and Chinese leaders..

But saying that there is a hell of a lot of documents to filter through.

There are well over 100 organizations in multiple countries that have access so I doubt there is some grand conspiracy not disclosing names. I think it just might be a side effect of the large amount of data that has to be sifted through and pieces put together. They cannot just ctrl-f their way through it.

There are well over 100 organizations in multiple countries that have access so I doubt there is some grand conspiracy not disclosing names. I think it just might be a side effect of the large amount of data that has to be sifted through and pieces put together. They cannot just ctrl-f their way through it.

As I understand it, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung has all the documents. They have given access to parts of the documents to "friendly" news media around the world, but only Sueddeutsche Zeitung has access to all of it.

It's likely that this release of information is meant to serve certain US special interests. It seems George Soros is connected to ICIJ that released the information, and his animosity towards Russia is well known.

This has apparently stopped the inversion play between Pfizer and Allergan. That might be a good thing.

If this is meant to make the US look good, it's working, but it's other propaganda benefits will take weeks to fully develop.

Naturally the US media is asking no questions.....

The Russian Defense again?

As I understand it, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung has all the documents. They have given access to parts of the documents to "friendly" news media around the world, but only Sueddeutsche Zeitung has access to all of it.

The way I read it is that they distributed it to many other news organizations to I guess cut down on the work involved in analyzing the data.

The way I read it is that they distributed it to many other news organizations to I guess cut down on the work involved in analyzing the data.

Yes so did I, but getting conflicting information. Some say all the information, other say only parts.

So you're not only "exceptional" if you decide to be born over American soil, you're also more honest?

Then what's up with our incarceration rate?

And then, there's that.

OK so lots of Americans are incarcerated. But have you not considered the possibility that US criminals are more honest than those in other countries? That the reason so many end up in prison is that,, when questioned, they honestly admit their guilt?

The Russian Defense again?

They act as though they keep forgetting that Vlad worked for their version of our own CIA. He studied strategy and tactics. He sees these PP as a single event, with the papers themselves being of only temporary interest. We are under constant propaganda.

Back
Top Bottom