• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Palm Sunday

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Tomorrow is Palm Sunday now.
Are there any special traditions how this day is celebrated in the region where you live?

Lots of people have palm leaves folded into the shape of a cross. They keep them displayed in their cars or homes. It is, or was, a big deal.

Palm Sunday is a moveable feast in that it has no specific date but is celebrated the Sunday before Easter Sunday. The day is called Palm Sunday because as Jesus entered Jerusalem riding on an ass (fulfilling Old Testament prophecies) the people waved palm fronds and lay them on the road before him as he passed.

Remembering in His entrance into Jerusalem how much God is not like us.
He was being celebrated by the people as the one who would break the cruel binds of Roman rule while all the time He was entering the city for the purpose
of receiving the stroke of God's just wrath against the sin of this bloodstained world , that through His giving of Himself upon the cross on our behalf every sinner
who will recognize that he has fallen short of God's perfection can now have their soul filled with God's Love.

" But God commandeth His love toward us , in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us " ( Romans 5:8 )

1649509372797.png

Remembering in His entrance into Jerusalem how much God is not like us.
He was being celebrated by the people as the one who would break the cruel binds of Roman rule while all the time He was entering the city for the purpose
of receiving the stroke of God's just wrath against the sin of this bloodstained world , that through His giving of Himself upon the cross on our behalf every sinner
who will recognize that he has fallen short of God's perfection can now have their soul filled with God's Love.

" But God commandeth His love toward us , in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us " ( Romans 5:8 )

View attachment 67384664

As if that changed anything.

Are there any special traditions how this day is celebrated in the region where you live?
The neighbors all go to church.

At least I assume so, they all leave much earlier than normal for this and easter.

For me , He has changed everything!

Unchecked Copy Box
2Co 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday now. Are there any special traditions how this day is celebrated in the region where you live?

Americans do not make a big deal of Palm Sunday outside of Christian churches.. I have heard of churches having kids wave palm leaves at the front of the sanctuary and done Communion (aka The Last Supper). But nobody treats palm leaves like they are dyed eggs.

The death and resurrection of Jesus changed everything for all the people who believe in him and all the people who believed in him when they died.

@ blessed palm branches

Whatever you do, don’t throw them in the trash!

After Palm Sunday Mass you will likely come home with some palm branches and may ask yourself, “what do I do with these?” Or, as we approach Palm Sunday, you have dried-out palms from last year tucked behind a crucifix or other religious picture that you are not sure what to do with.

Whatever you do, don’t throw them away!

According to the Code of Canon Law, blessed items are to be treated with respect and reverence and not discarded in the trash. At Mass, these palm branches were blessed by a priest and became a “sacramental,” which is an object that is meant to draw us closer to God. These sacred signs bear a resemblance to the sacraments (cf. #1171). Throwing them in the trash overlooks their sacred purpose and treats them like any other object we no longer need.

The death and resurrection of Jesus changed everything for all the people who believe in him and all the people who believed in him when they died.

War and murder stopped. People made sure everyone was fed, clothed and sheltered and made healthy. Unlike before. Right.

War and murder stopped. People made sure everyone was fed, clothed and sheltered and made healthy. Unlike before. Right.
The Bible says things will only get worst in the world. I guess it was right.

:rolleyes:
For the vast majority of all people who have ever lived, the 21st century is the best time to be alive.

If you disagree, when was a better time?

:rolleyes:
For the vast majority of all people who have ever lived, the 21st century is the best time to be alive.

If you disagree, when was a better time?
I was responding to another's statement. Was I wrong?

Stop lying. I never remotely implied that in any way.

Classic cowardly deflection. Try again please.
I'm not interested in playing your game of changing the goal posts. I responded to someone else's comments and you couldn't address my response at all. Nothing I said was wrong. Enjoy your day.

Stop lying. I never remotely implied that in any way.

I didn't say you implied that Jesus dying would relieve the world of wars, poverty, etc. All I said was that it didn't. What you say it did for people does not change that fact. Walking around with God's love in you does not put food in your stomach. It may make you feel better about things, but it doesn't make those things any better. Nothing you said was concrete. Nothing you said implied a translation of the spiritual to the actual to improve the plight of life in the world.

If you accuse me of lying and can't prove it, then you are the one lying.

So, God gives up His son because He loved us so much, then things get continually worse. Doesn't sound like that crucifixion is working well for the living. Must wait until we die to find out what good this Christian thing is. Meanwhile, Putin is raping and killing in Ukraine.

So, God gives up His son because He loved us so much, then things get continually worse. Doesn't sound like that crucifixion is working well for the living.
God isn't so much concerned with quantity. Even if only one person accepted His invitation, His son would have still sacrificed his life for that one.

The Bible makes it clear that God is a God of justice. Justice demands allowing a choice. Sometimes, some atheists remind me of bratty children. They demand that their daddy allows them to do something and when he does they then complain that he allowed them to get hurt when they did it. How's that saying go? "You want your cake and want to eat it too."

The reason things will only get worse is because of man's choices.
Must wait until we die to find out what good this Christian thing is. Meanwhile, Putin is raping and killing in Ukraine.
Yea, that there is proof that men can do evil things. Maybe God shouldn't have created mankind and then evil men would not exist. But then neither would the very good men that are trying their best to save the people of Ukraine. Would you prefer the existence of no one in order to avoid the evil ones?

The Theology forum is a place set aside to discuss religious issues without the peanut gallery throwing things.

Several years ago I worked hard to get that forum created, set aside for respectful discussion of religious beliefs. I suggest making more use of it for things like this.

The Theology forum is a place set aside to discuss religious issues without the peanut gallery throwing things.

Several years ago I worked hard to get that forum created, set aside for respectful discussion of religious beliefs. I suggest making more use of it for things like this.
Welcome back. I look forward to your contributions to the forum.

Good idea!

God isn't so much concerned with quantity. Even if only one person accepted His invitation, His son would have still sacrificed his life for that one.

The Bible makes it clear that God is a God of justice. Justice demands allowing a choice. Sometimes, some atheists remind me of bratty children. They demand that their daddy allows them to do something and when he does they then complain that he allowed them to get hurt when they did it. How's that saying go? "You want your cake and want to eat it too."

The reason things will only get worse is because of man's choices.

Yea, that there is proof that men can do evil things. Maybe God shouldn't have created mankind and then evil men would not exist. But then neither would the very good men that are trying their best to save the people of Ukraine. Would you prefer the existence of no one in order to avoid the evil ones?

A couple Sundays ago we had a Romanian missionary in to speak. He and his family are American but live mostly in Romania, running a small church there.
He spoke extensively about the masses of Ukrainian refugees pouring in, many with only the contents of one bag or backpack, some without even that.

My church agreed to provide needed items and funding to help the refugees.

I say this not to brag on my church as such (I won't even name it), but to demonstrate, amid all the criticism of Christianity, that Christian churches do more to help people in need than any other single entity. Every soup kitchen and homeless shelter in my area is run and funded by a church.

Back
Top Bottom