• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Palin's High-strung Endorsement

Did Sarah Palin's endorsement of Trump help or hurt his bid for the nomination?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FluffyNinja

All Warm and Fuzzy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Simple question. In your opinion, did Sarah Palin's energetic (Howard Dean-esque) public endorsement of Donald Trump help or hurt his bid for the GOP nomination?

Helps his nomination, harms him in the general election.

Helps his nomination, harms him in the general election.

We'll see if Trump carries her along to the generals. This happens a lot in primaries, both parties. The string of party endorsements is standard fare. These are early endorsements, once we get to the general, endorsements will be more non-partisan.

I think it helps him among that crowd. Angry, working class whites. They have a right to be angry, just take it out on the wrong people.

We'll see if Trump carries her along to the generals. This happens a lot in primaries, both parties. The string of party endorsements is standard fare. These are early endorsements, once we get to the general, endorsements will be more non-partisan.

It is not about Trump keeping that endorsement, that sort of implication does not start and stop at Trump's will. No matter if you agree or disagree with Palin, she does represent very polarizing political intentions. She does not have a good name with nor is she respected by Independents and moderates, let alone her direct opposition just waiting for something like this that can be used against Trump. For the purposes of this thread her endorsement for Trump will be something mentioned right up through the general election no matter whoever else endorses Trump either in the primary or during a general election context.

he coaxed her away from cruz
should add a few fundie/evangelical/teabagger votes in the iowa caucus that cruz will now lose

short term - win
long term - awful price to have to pay for a few votes

Simple question. In your opinion, did Sarah Palin's energetic (Howard Dean-esque) public endorsement of Donald Trump help or hurt his bid for the GOP nomination?

It in no way hurts him as Palin haters hate Trump more than she. AND, it fits into The Donald's campaign where he has people talking about him every day. If anything it will solidify with the right backlash vote.

he coaxed her away from cruz
should add a few fundie/evangelical/teabagger votes in the iowa caucus that cruz will now lose

short term - win
long term - awful price to have to pay for a few votes

What price?

It doesn't matter a lot in the Presidential election. Nobody is going to 'not' vote for Trump because of Palin's endorsement. The Palin haters are all voting for Clinton.

A lot of Republicans and Independents like Palin. They just don't see her as competent to be VP. I did not vote for McCain because of Palin as his VP choice. Other than that I admire what she has done with her life.

It's like peeing on a guy who is sitting on a toilet. :shrug:

What price?

It doesn't matter a lot in the Presidential election. Nobody is going to 'not' vote for Trump because of Palin's endorsement. The Palin haters are all voting for Clinton.

A lot of Republicans and Independents like Palin. They just don't see her as competent to be VP. I did not vote for McCain because of Palin as his VP choice. Other than that I admire what she has done with her life.

Far right Republicans maybe.....I'm not so sure about "a lot of independents" though. That's why I posted the poll. I'm curious as to what impact this will have on moderate and/or independent swing voters....if any.

By the way guys, I'm hoping that the Mod Team may be able to add my poll options soon. I've given them the poll options via PM. Sorry about that.

Huge for entertainment value, meaning it keeps Trump in the news. So, it's a big loss for everyone on the GOP podium except maybe Kasich who is looking better and better to more and more people every day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/u...ect-poll-can-help-this-time-of-year.html?_r=0

There is no way to know whether a new poll from the American Research Group is correct in suggesting that such a story is unfolding in New Hampshire. It shows John Kasich surging into a strong second place in the Republican race with 20 percent of the vote.

I feel choice C will likely win out; however, I do believe that whether it helps him secure the GOP nomination is going to have a lot to do with the outcome of the Iowa Caucus. Primary voters DO react to those results at the polls. If Cruz comes out the Iowa winner and Rubio and Kasich have a stronger-than-expected showing......having loony Palin in his back pocket might come back to haunt him. Just my 2 cents.

What price?

A lot of Democrats, indies and Republicans like what Sarah Palin says but recoil at the idea of her being even a heart beat away from the presidency. Many of the same people like what Trump is saying; whether that translates into a Reagan-esque like wave into the White House is the mystery of of the year so far.

There are many who are agape he's gotten this far; they however are clinging to the stale idea that you can't offend anyone. If you look at the PC offenses he's committed thus far, they actually build his vote count. And what does he care that the British House of Commons goes into debate a bill to prevent him entering Britain? He's still at the name recognition building stage and the more his name gets mentioned, he has calculated, the closer he is to the White House.

I am seriously asking myself whether he can go all the way, or whether we're going to see another Republican self-destruct.

Far right Republicans maybe.....I'm not so sure about "a lot of independents" though. That's why I posted the poll. I'm curious as to what impact this will have on moderate and/or independent swing voters....if any.

None really. Those votes either already belong to one of Trump's opponents or lean that way. This is aimed at those already on side; helping to register more voters. Her endorsement is not intended to draw off voters, but to solidify what is there and pick up a few new ones.

Donald is following a classic battle plan not seen since the days of the old Democrat fights. You win the primary by delivering more votes than anyone else. In his case the I am certain the ratio of voters who have not exercised their franchise in awhile is high. Sarah, God bless her red, white and blue heart will get her followers out of their seats.

Anyone else thinking that this isn't going to actually affect the outcome of Trump's campaign, or is it just me?

It should at least confirm for whoever still listens to Palin to no longer consider any other Republican, assuming there were still some within the party still undecided.

I hope we see more of Sarah Palin now that she has made the endorsement. If Donald Trump chooses her as a running mate very many Americans will see it as a dream ticket.

Anyone else thinking that this isn't going to actually affect the outcome of Trump's campaign, or is it just me?

Greetings, Jesse Booth. :2wave:

I think most people believe he is too savvy to pick her for VP, unless it's his ultimate goal to give the Presidency to Hillary - and some do feel that is a possibility, BTW! More than likely, they have probably discussed a cabinet post for her, but which one she might be interested in, I have no idea. :shrug:

Greetings, Jesse Booth. :2wave:

I think most people believe he is too savvy to pick her for VP, unless it's his ultimate goal to give the Presidency to Hillary - and some do feel that is a possibility, BTW! More than likely, they have probably discussed a cabinet post for her, but which one she might be interested in, I have no idea. :shrug:

Well hello to you, Polgara!

If I had to guess, he would prefer to give her a cabinet position rather than make her his running mate. If nothing else, he'll avoid putting someone he might very well percieve to be a "loser" on his ticket.

Well hello to you, Polgara!

If I had to guess, he would prefer to give her a cabinet position rather than make her his running mate. If nothing else, he'll avoid putting someone he might very well percieve to be a "loser" on his ticket.

:agree: :thumbs: If he gets that far, it will be most interesting to see who his VP pick might be! :shock: My guess would be a Latino to try to win that segment of the populous who feel he has insulted them previously, and if he's as shrewd as some think he is, it might be a female Latino like Martinez, governor of New Mexico - if she's interested. That kills two birds with one stone, and he is a businessman...

Sarah Palin is under-appreciated in her time

She's one of the most independently successful women in US history.

Sadly, the political bickering overshadows this....her own doing at least partly

Sarah Palin is under-appreciated in her time

She's one of the most independently successful women in US history.

Sadly, the political bickering overshadows this....her own doing at least partly

I don't dislike Palin but personal success doesn't always play well at the polls. Many moderates and independents see her as a little too far to the right and, quite frankly, a bit loony. She also has quite a bit of "personal baggage" that wont help in a national election scenario.

Back
Top Bottom