• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Palin to South Carolina: Vote for Newt

randel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
While not offering a full endorsement, Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin urged South Carolina voters to turn out for Newt Gingrich during Saturday’s primary. She said a win for the former House speaker would slow down the Republican presidential nominating process.

snip

The 2008 vice presidential nominee has frequently praised Gingrich's debate performances, and last week her husband, Todd, announced his formal support for the candidate.

Palin to South Carolina: Vote for Newt – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I agree with Palin here.

While I'm not a Republican and I must wait on the sidelines to see who they nominate, I don't want the media to choose the nominee like they did with Obama. The Republicans should take their time, weigh the candidates deliberately and not rush to a choice based on sound-bites and 30 second attack ads.

There's plenty of time till the Republican convention in August. Use it.

I agree with Palin here.

While I'm not a Republican and I must wait on the sidelines to see who they nominate, I don't want the media to choose the nominee like they did with Obama. The Republicans should take their time, weigh the candidates deliberately and not rush to a choice based on sound-bites and 30 second attack ads.

There's plenty of time till the Republican convention in August. Use it.
it is looking more and more to me, that romney will be the nominee by default...

That's what so irritating--the so-called inevitability of Romney. I don't want "the media" to choose the candidate; I want the heartland/grassroots to make that choice.

While not offering a full endorsement, Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin urged South Carolina voters to turn out for Newt Gingrich during Saturday’s primary. She said a win for the former House speaker would slow down the Republican presidential nominating process.

This kinda of thing makes no sense to me. If Palin is as conservative as she claims, she'd never tell people to vote for Newt Gingrich.

This kinda of thing makes no sense to me. If Palin is as conservative as she claims, she'd never tell people to vote for Newt Gingrich.

One could look at it as a strategic move, I mean think about it, she's not giving Gingrich the full endorsement, but Newt has the best chance of beating Romney in SC... if Gingrich can beat Romney in SC it will weaken Romneys momentum and allow more time for another "more conservative" candidate to pick up speed such as Santorum which she could then give her full endorsement to.

To me this seems more about slowing Romney down, rather then Gingrich getting the nomination.

What is Todd Palin's full endorsement worth in gold?

One could look at it as a strategic move, I mean think about it, she's not giving Gingrich the full endorsement, but Newt has the best chance of beating Romney in SC... if Gingrich can beat Romney in SC it will weaken Romneys momentum and allow more time for another "more conservative" candidate to pick up speed such as Santorum which she could then give her full endorsement to.

To me this seems more about slowing Romney down, rather then Gingrich getting the nomination.

She said her goal is to weaken Romney's momentum.
Her endorsement adds legitimacy to Gingrich's campaign and was bad news for Santorum and Perry. Fox clearly is defining it as a Romney V. Gingrich contest and is openly writing the others off. When it comes to Republicans, Fox gets its way. Maybe they should change it from the Republican Party to the FOX Party.

it is looking more and more to me, that romney will be the nominee by default...
What in the hell is a "centrist" anyway? I've never quite figured you guys out. Which republican candidate is it going to take for you people to not vote for Barack Obama?

What in the hell is a "centrist" anyway? I've never quite figured you guys out. Which republican candidate is it going to take for you people to not vote for Barack Obama?

That canidate dropped out.

A "Centrist" is someone who holds a variety of positions that are solidly to extremely on each side of the ideological aisle.

For example...someone who is pro-2nd amendment, is in favor of things like the Patriot Act and the war on terror, wants social security reform, and is pro-life, however also believes we need significant environmental reform, need to raise taxes on everyone but especially the rich, and thinks we need to strengthen the social safety net...could be considered a "Centrist" because they have some strong views that are solidly "right" and some strong views that are solidly "left".

This is different than someone who holds primarily solid views on one side or another, but then holds a small handful of views that are moderate or leaning towards the other side. Say a person who holds Liberal views on almost everything...but is pro-life.

This is also different than a Moderate. A moderate is someone who doesn't take a strong stance on either ideological side most of the time. Their individual views are generally a mix of both sides, usually a balanced compromised position on the issue.

If you were looking at 10 issues on a 0 to 100 scale with with 0 being liberal and 100 being conservative.....

A centrist would have something like 3 to 4 issues in the 80 to 100 range and another 3 to 4 issues in the 0 to 20 range.

A moderate would have 6 or more of their views in the 40 to 60 range.

A "Centrist" is someone who holds a variety of positions that are solidly to extremely on each side of the ideological aisle.

For example...someone who is pro-2nd amendment, is in favor of things like the Patriot Act and the war on terror, wants social security reform, and is pro-life, however also believes we need significant environmental reform, need to raise taxes on everyone but especially the rich, and thinks we need to strengthen the social safety net...could be considered a "Centrist" because they have some strong views that are solidly "right" and some strong views that are solidly "left".

This is different than someone who holds primarily solid views on one side or another, but then holds a small handful of views that are moderate or leaning towards the other side. Say a person who holds Liberal views on almost everything...but is pro-life.

This is also different than a Moderate. A moderate is someone who doesn't take a strong stance on either ideological side most of the time. Their individual views are generally a mix of both sides, usually a balanced compromised position on the issue.

If you were looking at 10 issues on a 0 to 100 scale with with 0 being liberal and 100 being conservative.....

A centrist would have something like 3 to 4 issues in the 80 to 100 range and another 3 to 4 issues in the 0 to 20 range.

A moderate would have 6 or more of their views in the 40 to 60 range.

The middle of the road is roadkill.

How do you figure? Why do you conservatives spend so much time talking about "if so and so was a real conservative"?

The middle of the road is roadkill.

That is just stupid. There have been people in the middle of the road in politics as long as there has been a road. Frequently more people are there than elsewhere and have the largest impact.

Very good question, and why I don't believe in them. These are people who want to be perceived as fair, and possibly above the fray.

How do you figure? Why do you conservatives spend so much time talking about "if so and so was a real conservative"?

Real Conservative
Real American
Real Patriot
Real Christian

See a pattern there? It all comes from the same group of far right extremists.

That is just stupid. There have been people in the middle of the road in politics as long as there has been a road. Frequently more people are there than elsewhere and have the largest impact.

I'm talking about the moderate views themselves, it is uneasy. You're either hot or cold!

Certainly none of the wackadoodles that are running this year!

Real Conservative
Real American
Real Patriot
Real Christian

See a pattern there? It all comes from the same group of far right extremists.

Real Conservatives: People who believe in personal responsibility, liberty, and small government.
Real American: People who want the U.S. to be strong.
Real Patriot: People who love their Country, see "Real American".
Real Christian: People that will do Gods will, and help others in charity. Along with morality.

Sounds American!

I'm talking about the moderate views themselves, it is uneasy. You're either hot or cold!

That is not true either. Many to most political issues have perfectly valid central areas. One area I am a moderate is tax policy right now. I think cutting taxes right now is a bad idea. However, I think raising taxes right now on any one would be a bad idea. This is a perfectly valid viewpoint, but niether left nor right.

Another example of Palin being bad for the Republican brand. Gingrich isn't going to win the nomination, but if he's the only notRomney left standing the contest will drag on much longer and Newt in attack mode will take some big chunks out of Romney's ass.

Another example of Palin being bad for the Republican brand. Gingrich isn't going to win the nomination, but if he's the only notRomney left standing the contest will drag on much longer and Newt in attack mode will take some big chunks out of Romney's ass.

This is the exzact kinda thing people said 4 years ago about the democratic primary and Clinton. How did that work out?

Palin is now officially irrelevant. This will not prevent Romney from the nomination. That train has already left the station.

Back
Top Bottom