• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Palin book takes aim at some new targets

Hatuey

Rule of Two
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Palin book takes aim at some new targets - Yahoo! Canada News

Palin devotes several pages to a discussion of John F. Kennedy's noted speech on religion during the 1960 campaign — a speech many saw as crucial in persuading the country to elect a Catholic president. "I am not the Catholic candidate for president," Kennedy said then. "I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic."

Discussing her own faith, Palin writes that JFK's speech "essentially declared religion to be such a private matter that it was irrelevant to the kind of country we are." Kennedy, she says, "seemed to want to run away from religion." She praises Mitt Romney, a Mormon, for not "doing a JFK" during his campaign for the 2008 GOP nomination, but instead speaking forthrightly of how his faith would inform his presidency.

Religion is a private matter to millions of Americans. It's a private matter to my wife who is religious. It's a private matter to her family. It's a private matter to my neighbors. I don't inquire, they don't tell me. It only seems to a public matter for people like Palin who wish to impose their beliefs on others. To her it should matter because people like her use it as a weapon. JFK chose to keep his religion private because of harpies like her. Even though I am married to a Catholic, my animosity towards them is nothing compared to the kind of **** they endured at the hand of nationalist, xenophobic and Protestant Americans who were much like Palin. He did it because that shinning city at the top of the hill that was America during the 40s, 50s and 60s simply did not accept Catholics.

Last edited:
Palin book takes aim at some new targets - Yahoo! Canada News

Religion is a private matter to millions of Americans. It's a private matter to my wife who is religious. It's a private matter to her family. It's a private matter to my neighbors. I don't inquire, they don't tell me. It only seems to a public matter for people like Palin who wish to impose their beliefs on others. To her it should matter because people like her use it as a weapon. JFK chose to keep his religion private because of harpies like her. Even though I am married to a Catholic, my animosity towards them is nothing compared to the kind of **** they endured at the hand of nationalist, xenophobic and Protestant Americans who were much like Palin. He did it because that shinning city at the top of the hill that was America during the 40s, 50s and 60s simply did not accept Catholics.

It's her book and her opinions. Hec, I don't even know what religion she is. She talks about her faith, prayer etc. but I don't think she over does it. If her book is just about religion, I doubt I'll like it.

Back
Top Bottom