• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Palestinian who lied about his religion sentenced to 18 months in jail

He denied that he said this in one of the early reports I saw. The basis of the rape by deception charge is that he pretended to be Jewish.
What are you talking about?
That was his confession, that was what his lawyers have agreed on with the persecution in the plea bargain.
He plead guilty. This is not the same as any confession. It was a plea bargain strategy to stop him going to jail for possibly 16 years.
No, it was a plea bargain that was strongly favoring the woman's side, and he fell for it.
There was no reason to deem him guilty on anything, he has confessed to being guilty.
OMG. As I remember he has never been accused of proposing to her in the half hour or so they knew each other. See my quote at end.
Who said proposing? He has told her he is interested in a long-term relationship.
Apocalypse as I said yesterday, there is little point in continuing this. It seems you do not like Israel's laws on rape and somehow you can use this as evidence.
I don't know anyone who'd be okay with such law that deems a person who deceives another for sex as a rapist.

I find this to be disgraceful! I find this court to be out of order.

Of course. Rape is a very difficult crime to prove. That is why I have questioned whether he could be guilty but no one seems to see that as even a possibility. Had he been guilty and had the sentenced reduced because there was insufficient evidence then to give him a similar charge on plea bargaining would have been appropriate. If he is innocent and known to be innocent it has nothing to do with any justice I know.

You do not understand that being innocent has nothing to do with the fact that he admited to the charges which were held against him, he went into court and plead guilty when the judges read him his charges. From this point on he is guilty no matter what I think or what the judge thinks or what was the reality, this is how the law works.

How can you say someone has 'admitted' to something they have not done? You cannot admit to something you have not done.

Thats just being naive, there were stories of innocent men who admited to murder and even recreated the murder because of the phsycological pressure they were under.

On your later post after I asked for link you admitted that he did not admit to rape but on the advice of his lawyer and believing he was going to get community service admitted to the deception charge. I think both you and Apocalypse have tried to confuse readers with this. He did not admit to rape. He accepted the advice of his lawyer that if he accepted the rape by deception charge he would likely get a community service and the real rape charge carried a possibility of 16 years.

All of the articles I provided say he admited to rape and indecent act.

As to that not being because he was an Arab

And again its not for the fact that he is an Arab who slept with a Jewish woman that he was charged for, its for the fact that he lied.

Arab guilty of rape after consensual sex with Jew | World news | The Guardian

When we take that along with half the Jews of Israel believing sex with Arabs is treason, it pretty much says it all. The reason is obvious for anyone who is not determined not to see it

This has nothing to do with this criminal case, many people will frown if their child will turn out to be a homosexual too. For now the only country that revoked a citizenship from a citizen on a basis of a Jew marrying an Arab is Egypt.

The fact he was under house arrest with electronic tagging for a crime he did not commit, for false charges laid against him is the reality I was pointing out. That coupled with the fact that before the trial he apparently also spent 2 months in jail is the reason I have said justice would give him compensation not continue to accuse him of rape because the woman was Jewish and he was an Arab and 50% of your population in 2007 believed that was 'treason'

You fail to understand that he admited to the crime, if he really commited the crime or not became irrelevant for the court the minute he chose to do so, in the eyes of the court he is guilty because he told the court that he is guilty

And once the prosecutors knew this they ought to have dropped all charges and quietly given him some compensation for all he had endured.

The prosecutors from the woman that he decieved her into bed, when they found out that he didn't force himself apon her they dropped the assault charge, but rape by deception still stands in this case legaly

Do you know what rape is? It is not consensual sex. The court certainly had other choices than to send him to prison. I have already provided a link saying his lawyer understood he would be getting community service..

You yourself know he did not commit rape. I would imagine all of Israel knows he did not commit rape. My God, rape now is saying you are from Ireland when you are in fact from Scotland. You remove the meaning of a serious violent crime while trying to justify racist activity.

I myself don't believe it to be rape, it could just be that if a trail was taken the Judges would not believe it to be rape as well, one of them thought so without a trail. Appearntly according to the Israeli law lying is a form of rape, I agree completely that this law is absurd but its the law, it was legistlated to protect women from a different kind of deception I guess but it was manipulated in this case by the woman and her lawyers at first and the prosecution later on to file charges against this poor man, he could take it to court and fight for justice but he chose to admit to the charges and plea guilty

Back
Top Bottom