• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Palestinian leader blasts Ahmadinejad

Tashah

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Palestinian leader blasts Ahmadinejad over Mideast peace comments
By the CNN Wire Staff
September 5, 2010

(CNN) -- The administration of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas lashed out at Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Saturday, a day after Ahmadinejad criticized Abbas for renewing direct peace talks with Israel.

"He who does not represent the Iranian people, who forged elections and who suppresses the Iranian people and stole the authority, is not entitled to talk about Palestine, or the President of Palestine," said Nabil Abu Rudeineh, a spokesman for the Palestinian Authority, according to Wafa, the Palestinian Authority's news agency.
CNN.com

The PA certainly didn't mince any words here. It's about time they told Ahmadinejad to butt out.

CNN.com

The PA certainly didn't mince any words here. It's about time they told Ahmadinejad to butt out.

This comes a day after Egypt has canceled a visit by the Iranian foreign affairs minister, after he has called the Arab leaders who take part in the peace talks "traitors who betray their peoples".

Ouch.
Ahmadinejad just got told and about time too.
I hope the Palestinians have gotten tired of other countries trying to misuse their situation for their own ends without ever trying to alleviate it.

This is a positive thing. I just hope that Iran doesn't try to take Abbas out for this.

Eh.. there is no 'Palestinian leader'...

Of course there is, the West selected him especially for the purpose.

Ahmadinejad has a national interest in the talks as well as a geographical justification for speaking about it so why are his comments any less acceptable than those from say a country that is over 7000 miles away from the political theatre? The "outrage" just doesn't cut muster but in political terms I guess that the PA needs to distance itself from the "East" at the moment.

That said, it is up to the PA to decide who it gets into bed with but just like Israel they continue to look west to solve their problems instead of looking around them.

Of course there is, the West selected him especially for the purpose.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. He's about as much a leader to the Palestinians as Gordon Brown was to the British. Hand picked, backed and funded, keeping in line with the corruption rife through Fatah and the PLO, he had something like 90 or 95% of the air-time leading up to the election. In other words, he was practically the only candidate. And when was the last election?

I suppose if you were to take what I said before literally, then you would be correct as technically they do have a president. What I was getting at, was that the Palestinians don't have a voice to speak on their behalf. Except in the eyes of the US government and co.

Ouch.
Ahmadinejad just got told and about time too.
I hope the Palestinians have gotten tired of other countries trying to misuse their situation for their own ends without ever trying to alleviate it.

after the Gaza blockade, most of the Palestinians side with Hamas, which promises them the revenge they want. war brings extremism. Mahmud Abbas no longer represents the whole people of Palestine and that's a sad fact. because, this makes the political atmosphere of Palestine such a mess that any result coming out of the peace talks doesn't really mean anything.

This is a positive thing. I just hope that Iran doesn't try to take Abbas out for this.

Iran has been trying to take Abbas out for quite some time now, by blatantly supporting Hamas and working against Fatah.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom