• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Palace coup issue

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This isn't handwringing, it's spitballing.
There's always discussions of this nature when a leader is seriously ill.

If POTUS becomes so ill that he is deemed incapacitated, there's already constitutional mechanisms in place, but history is full of accounts of palace coups that have happened in times like these. The mechanism in place now involves the 25A but right now there is doubt as to whether or not it would be followed faithfully, and persons much smarter than myself have voiced concerns that members of Trump's family might try to intervene or attempt to override these processes.
I am not trying to wager as to their success or lack of it, I am only bringing it up because some others are already "saying the words".

If POTUS becomes so ill that he is deemed incapacitated, there's already constitutional mechanisms in place, but history is full of accounts of palace coups that have happened in times like these. The mechanism in place now involves the 25A but right now there is doubt as to whether or not it would be followed faithfully, and persons much smarter than myself have voiced concerns that members of Trump's family might try to intervene or attempt to override these processes.
I am not trying to wager as to their success or lack of it, I am only bringing it up because some others are already "saying the words".
That is what the courts are for.

I’m not sure how the President’s family can effectively interfere because the mechanism the 25th calls for for the President himself to challenge a claim of disability in writing to the Senate Pro Tempore and Speaker of the House. And if the President’s self assessment is challenged by the VP et al for Congress to decide (how??)

So unless we want to think that Ivanka’s going to forge a document in her father’s name I’m not seeing how it’s plausible.

The people "saying the words" might be trying to manufacture a crisis to justify staging their own coup.

CBS:

What legal standing would members of President Trump's family have to interfere with the constitutional succession of power if Mr. Trump is incapacitated or dies of Covid-19? None that I can suss out. So unless the family was prepared to risk and back a hard coup d'etat with mercenaries or rogue military/paramilitary forces, I don't think this as a reasonable fear.

What would be far more iffy is what might happen if both Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence were simultaneously incapacitated or killed by Covid-19. Then rather than passing power to the Speaker of the House, there might be some in cabinet or around cabinet who might try to thwart such a succession by whatever means available to them.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

CBS:

What legal standing would members of President Trump's family have to interfere with the constitutional succession of power if Mr. Trump is incapacitated or dies of Covid-19? None that I can suss out. So unless the family was prepared to risk and back a hard coup d'etat with mercenaries or rogue military/paramilitary forces, I don't think this as a reasonable fear.

What would be far more iffy is what might happen if both Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence were simultaneously incapacitated or killed by Covid-19. Then rather than passing power to the Speaker of the House, there might be some in cabinet or around cabinet who might try to thwart such a succession by whatever means available to them.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

I don't know if you realize this but the private militia activity here is reaching fever pitch and critical mass.
That is why I created this thread, and to @Gaius46, I can only say that I wouldn't put anything past that family, especially not after hearing both Trump and Donald Jr. making noises about calling "their armies" (their words, not mine) to action over the vote.

If such a gambit seems incredibly stupid and doomed to failure, I do not argue that, but it doesn't mean I don't think they would try, because part of me thinks that they would.

CBS:

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

There’s a school of thought that says the Presidential Succession Act is unconstitutional because the 25th Amendment says “Officer” and members of Congress aren’t officers as we normally use the term.

It’s never been litigated but I’m guessing if we were in that position the lawsuits would start flying.

I don't know if you realize this but the private militia activity here is reaching fever pitch and critical mass.
That is why I created this thread, and to @Gaius46, I can only say that I wouldn't put anything past that family, especially not after hearing both Trump and Donald Jr. making noises about calling "their armies" (their words, not mine) to action over the vote.

If such a gambit seems incredibly stupid and doomed to failure, I do not argue that, but it doesn't mean I don't think they would try, because part of me thinks that they would.
We can no longer put anything past the entire Republican Party!

Unless Trump is in a coma I don't see why this is an issue.
I dislike Trump but he's the President.
You can't swap him out because he's ill.

The only thing at a fever pitch are the BLM/ANTIFA riots.

Psh. Silly handwringing. There is a system in place to handle presidential transition, and it will work. Trump is neither smart enough no motivated enough to circumvent that. Quit sniffing his undies and declaring him some great political mastermind; he's not.

As far as it being immoral, violating American values, illegal, I don't think that would have any effect on them, they'd do it. But even with their close relationship to mercenary operator Erik Prince, I don't think it's all practical, and that will stop them from trying.

As far as it being immoral, violating American values, illegal, I don't think that would have any effect on them, they'd do it. But even with their close relationship to mercenary operator Erik Prince, I don't think it's all practical, and that will stop them from trying.

I predicted that Erik Prince positioned himself where he did for this reason the moment he went there.
I immediately said that he's positioning himself to be indispensible in a coup and I still think that is the case right now.
It is going to take a commando raid to put down this rabid cur.

Erik Prince is the white American Osama bin Laden, bank on that.

Back
Top Bottom