• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Painting Wind Turbine Propellers - 70% less dead birds

Jonsa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ran across this little tidbit. A simple source solution that will go a long way to reduce avian death.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Paint it black: Efficacy of increased wind turbine rotor blade visibility to reduce avian fatalities

As wind energy deployment increases and larger wind‐power plants are considered, bird fatalities through collision with moving turbine rotor blades are expected to increase. However, few (cost‐) effective deterrent or mitigation measures have so far been developed to reduce the risk of collision. Provision of “passive” visual cues may enhance the visibility of the rotor blades enabling birds to take evasive action in due time.
<snip>
The annual fatality rate was significantly reduced at the turbines with a painted blade by over 70%, relative to the neighboring control (i.e., unpainted) turbines. The treatment had the largest effect on reduction of raptor fatalities; no white‐tailed eagle carcasses were recorded after painting. Applying contrast painting to the rotor blades significantly reduced the collision risk for a range of birds.
<snip>

Ran across this little tidbit. A simple source solution that will go a long way to reduce avian death.

Sometimes less is more. I wonder if painting it black will have any side effects such as increased heat signatures and/or reduction in overall life due to increased heat.

Will painting lessen cancer cases?

That actually makes sense. Here's the problem though, there is a reason fiberglass parts tend to be painted white. The reason is epoxy resin transition temperature which tends to be relatively low with most epoxy or polyvinylester resin systems that are not autoclave cured. Most wind turbine blades are NOT autoclave cured. Black painted turbine blades will lose strength sooner at lower temps than white painted blades.

That actually makes sense. Here's the problem though, there is a reason fiberglass parts tend to be painted white. The reason is epoxy resin transition temperature which tends to be relatively low with most epoxy or polyvinylester resin systems that are not autoclave cured. Most wind turbine blades are NOT autoclave cured. Black painted turbine blades will lose strength sooner at lower temps than white painted blades.

which no doubt is another reasons they suggest painting/coloring at source of manufacture. I'm sure they can overcome any material issues.

which no doubt is another reasons they suggest painting/coloring at source of manufacture. I'm sure they can overcome any material issues.

The problem is the rest of the existing turbines.

Can't be true. Total fake news. When Donnie mentioned this turbines killing birds thing democrats everywhere denied it was happening.

BTW. Don't paint them red unless you want to extinct hummingbirds.

I think this warrants further exploration. Perhaps some combo of colors and patterns may improve the situation.

I'm aware of a problem at a hydro electric solar plant in SoCal.

The plant works by focusing thousands of mirrors to reflect the sunlight onto a water-filled tower. The water boils and the resulting steam turns turbines to create electricity.

The problem is that when birds fly too close to the tower, the combined light beams (unseen by the birds) instantly fry the birds in mid flight (like a magnifying glass x 1000). They are called "streamers" by the plant workers as they watch the smoking bird corpses fall out of the sky.

Sometimes less is more. I wonder if painting it black will have any side effects such as increased heat signatures and/or reduction in overall life due to increased heat.

The moving parts that wear out are in the hub. Don’t expect any lifespan issues.

Don’t know what you mean by heat signatures.

I think this warrants further exploration. Perhaps some combo of colors and patterns may improve the situation.

I'm aware of a problem at a hydro electric solar plant in SoCal.

The plant works by focusing thousands of mirrors to reflect the sunlight onto a water-filled tower. The water boils and the resulting steam turns turbines to create electricity.

The problem is that when birds fly too close to the tower, the combined light beams (unseen by the birds) instantly fry the birds in mid flight (like a magnifying glass x 1000). They are called "streamers" by the plant workers as they watch the smoking bird corpses fall out of the sky.

They’re also bright as HELL for passing airplanes. I hate those things. There’s a big one near Las Vegas that makes me want to bring solar eclipse glasses.

RStones-PiB-Decca.jpg

The moving parts that wear out are in the hub. Don’t expect any lifespan issues.

Don’t know what you mean by heat signatures.

Black absorbs heat .. I was curious if the benefit of less wildlife deaths will have some unintended consequences because of the increased heat the blades will absorb.

Black absorbs heat .. I was curious if the benefit of less wildlife deaths will have some unintended consequences because of the increased heat the blades will absorb.

Yes, I'm aware of the concept.

But the blades themselves are not parts that will wear out just because they're a little warmer. Do you think black cars melt or something?

The moving parts that wear out are in the hub, not the blades.

It sounds to me that you're primed to be against wind power and are grasping at anything you think could detract from it.

Yes, I'm aware of the concept.

But the blades themselves are not parts that will wear out just because they're a little warmer. Do you think black cars melt or something?

The moving parts that wear out are in the hub, not the blades.

It sounds to me that you're primed to be against wind power and are grasping at anything you think could detract from it.

Absolutely not .. I'd consider it more of a curiosity with potential unintended consequences.

Back
Top Bottom