• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paging Bruce Lee: Judge knocks down New York's nunchuck ban

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cks-down-new-yorks-nunchuck-ban-idUSKBN1OH1ML

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge knocked down a New York state law banning nunchucks that dated to the 1970s, when martial arts star Bruce Lee popularized them in his movies by whipping around the twin sticks linked by a chain.

U.S. District Court Judge Pamela Chen sided with an amateur martial artist who opposed the ban, reasoning that the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution applies not just to firearms but also to nunchucks.
===========================================
And just in time for Christmas, too. I wonder how long it will take to have these popping up on Amazon?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cks-down-new-yorks-nunchuck-ban-idUSKBN1OH1ML

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge knocked down a New York state law banning nunchucks that dated to the 1970s, when martial arts star Bruce Lee popularized them in his movies by whipping around the twin sticks linked by a chain.

U.S. District Court Judge Pamela Chen sided with an amateur martial artist who opposed the ban, reasoning that the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution applies not just to firearms but also to nunchucks.
And just in time for Christmas, too. I wonder how long it will take to have these popping up on Amazon?

Dentists across NY danced with glee, singing " All they want for christmas is their two front teeth"

I agree with the ruling, but having morons with nunchucks will result in lots of morons injuring themselves.

Of course I'm not a fan of a nunchuck ban, but I'm not sure how logical it is to say that a nunchuck ban violates the 2nd amendment. Other states have bans on certain knives and I would think that that ban would be closer to violating the 2nd amendment than a nunchuck ban.

Banning any simple, unpowered, less-than-firearm-lethality weapon from even at-home possession would have to be against the 2A, IMHO.

Not to mention stupid and pointless. How many crimes have been committed with nunchaku?

Banning any simple, unpowered, less-than-firearm-lethality weapon from even at-home possession would have to be against the 2A, IMHO.

Not to mention stupid and pointless. How many crimes have been committed with nunchaku?

It's part of that authoritarian mindset that says that if you should do something there needs to be a law that you must and if you shouldn't do something it should be illegal.

I agree with you that the bans are stupid, but I just don't see how that would be linking to 2A. The 2A deals with firearms specifically and it's a stretch to link it anything else IMO. If it deals with "anything" than I should have the right to a bazooka or grenades.

I agree with you that the bans are stupid, but I just don't see how that would be linking to 2A. The 2A deals with firearms specifically and it's a stretch to link it anything else IMO. If it deals with "anything" than I should have the right to a bazooka or grenades.

I believe the word in the 2A is 'arms.' arms
/ärmz
noun
weapons and ammunition; armaments.
By definition, these nunchoks are weapons so would fall under the 2nd A.

I believe the word in the 2A is 'arms.' arms
/ärmz
noun
weapons and ammunition; armaments.
By definition, these nunchoks are weapons so would fall under the 2nd A.

Grenades are weapons to.

Grenades are weapons to.

Surely I don't hafta 'splain this again?

Site search "strict scrutiny" and explosives, area effect weapons, and you'll soon understand why the level of scrutiny and control varies for swords, firearms, grenades, artillery and nukes...

Back
Top Bottom