• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Paddling in school?

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
A subject I do not believe has been touched.

What are your thoughts on teachers paddling kids for misbehavior in public schools?

vauge said:
A subject I do not believe has been touched.

What are your thoughts on teachers paddling kids for misbehavior in public schools?
How can anyone possibly approve of a teacher spanking anyone? It's revolting! If any teacher ever raised a hand to my children I would do everything I could to get that teacher fired and to let it be known that this particular "teacher" is a child abuser.

I live in a state where it's illegal, as it is in the majority of US States. Here's a chart for you to check out:

http://www.stophitting.com/disatschool/statesBanning.php

Notice Texas? What a surprise! Living in Texas politically is like living in another country! How do people allow so many things that are counter to the American Way?

Some facts:
1. Black students are hit at a rate that is more than twice their makeup in the population. Blacks comprise 17% of students, but receive 39% of paddlings. Whites make up 62% of all students, but receive 53% of the corporal punishment.
2. Teachers in Texas account for 22% of all school paddlings in the country.
3. In Mississippi, one out of every ten children is struck with a paddle by a teacher.

Also note that the top 10 States where children are hit are ALL RED STATES!

:spank:

Last edited:
I'm against it for two reasons.
1)School is to be a place to learn and not a babysitter or a parent. It gets my goat that responsibility is moving away from the parents and towards other things like school. If a kid is having a problem that would deem a paddling, call the parent to pick up the child and take him/her away from school. Then, the other children who aren't acting up can keep learning.

2)Schools seem to find reasons to be sued enough. I'd rather the School Districts spend money on kids instead of higher insurance rates and legal defense to stop from the possible additional lawsuits that could arise.

This thread reminded me of that episode from the Simpson's when the teachers went on strike and they had the locals fill in the spots:
JASPER:Talking out of turn...that's a paddling. Looking out the window...that's a paddling. Staring at my sandals...that's a paddling. Paddling the school canoe...ooh, you better believe that's a paddling."

Well if my boy is acting up at school I want to be notified and I will go take care of whatever the problem is personally.

Teachers should just get the child out of the situation as soon as possible. Onlookers only encourage misbehavior.

There is no reason a teacher should have to spank a child. They should have other options.

That being said: All options are on the table.....

I am defiantly against paddling in schools:

1) The responsibility of a teacher is not to act as tyrant of the school, instead they're supposed to teach the students what they need to know later on in life.

2) Paddling a student in school is pretty much like tying the person's hands down and beating them. Students aren't allowed to touch teachers, if teachers can paddle students then shouldn't students be allowed to fight back? Also isn't the government (indirectly) putting a kid in danger when they FORCE him to go to school?

3) It's alot easier for trouble-making students to learn, when they're on good relations with the teacher. You're not going to forgive nor forget if a teacher beats you with a paddle, that'll just make you not want to listen even more.

The people who like the paddling of children in schools, are also the ones who say "why did that child bring a gun to school and shoot his teacher". Though hardly ever the case, I feel that paddling from a teacher could lead to a situation like this.. and whose fault would it be?

I am deffinetly for paddling in schools. My grandpa says he would never act up in school because of the paddle. he said that the teachers then had the power not the students like today. These days students are more hateful and disrespectful. What about the kids who do act up. I know some parents of those kids and they don't give a crap about what they do at school. What about those kids? There are several kids in my school who will back talk teachers and call them b****es. That is absurd. They should get the paddle cause apparently the disapline system isn't working.

26 X World Champs said:
How can anyone possibly approve of a teacher spanking anyone?

I am currently a high school student, soon to be a college student, and one thing I'm really looking forward to is forever leaving behind all those disrespectful kids.

Maybe you don't remember high school, or maybe yours was different, but my high school is pretty much like a zoo. Lots of kids chat during class, regularly interrupt the teacher, wander the hallways aimlessly, talk back to administrators, refuse to do their work, do drugs, drink excessively, and get in gang fights. Kids can do more or less whatever they want, simply because the only punishment they receive is detention or suspension.

Detentions definitely don't defer a lot of kids from doing wrong.

I don't think hitting kids is the right way to solve things, but if that's the only way to get their attention...

What other modes of discipline would you suggest?

Let me tell you, I hate kids who misbehave. I truly believe the biggest problem with the public education system is students' lack of respect for authority. If spanking kids raw is the only way to get them to behave then so be it.

:bravo: :bravo: :applaud
AHSPolitician said:
I am currently a high school student, soon to be a college student, and one thing I'm really looking forward to is forever leaving behind all those disrespectful kids.

Maybe you don't remember high school, or maybe yours was different, but my high school is pretty much like a zoo. Lots of kids chat during class, regularly interrupt the teacher, wander the hallways aimlessly, talk back to administrators, refuse to do their work, do drugs, drink excessively, and get in gang fights. Kids can do more or less whatever they want, simply because the only punishment they receive is detention or suspension.

I don't think hitting kids is the right way to solve things, but if that's the only way to get their attention...

Let me tell you, I hate kids who misbehave. I truly believe the biggest problem with the public education system is students' lack of respect for authority. If spanking kids raw is the only way to get them to behave then so be it.

Perfectly said. If you haven't noticed, but respect has gone down for teachers since paddling has stopped. Paddling works.

AHSPolitician said:

You want to spank highschool students? Considering the level of steroid use... just kidding.

But seriously folks:

How about positive reinforcement? 3 or more ISS (in school suspension) visits, and your happy little ass doesn't go to prom, perhaps? That would keep alot of the little bastards that went to my school in line. Giving them extra work that actually effects their grades?

There are other ways I'm sure that don't require a "paddlin."

The best idea I've ever heard suggested is make the little S.O.B.'s part of the janitorial staff for a week. Hell, while you're at it make them a lunch lady. That would keep someone in line.

The time to straighten them out is in Kindergarten. You have all heard about the little brat that was handcuffed by the police because the teacher couldn't control her. That never would have happened during the 50's, 60's or maybe even the 70's. A swat on the ass to straighten them out, never hurt any kid. Parents are just as afraid of getting in trouble as the schools are, these days. If they spank their kid they might have the DHS called, get sued or worse. AHS described the results well. Older kids out of control, and no one to discipline them.

AHSPolitician said:

Same for me, but I take all the Honors classes so the only problem is those who take Honors Classes and always argue with the teacher because they think they're right.

refuse to do their work, do drugs, drink excessively, and get in gang fights.

So you think that beating the heck out of a gang member, whose pride is already flying out the window, is the best situation for him?
Kids can do more or less whatever they want, simply because the only punishment they receive is detention or suspension.
Yes Kids can do whatever they want, whose fault is it when they're expelled or never finish school for lack of caring? You must have a sissy School if all that they're threatened with is detention or suspension, mine will expell you in a heart beat.
You're right it isn't right, it's like a random guy on the street hitting a little kid because the kid mouthed off at him. Teachers aren't supposed to parent you they're supposed to teach you the material they've been recognized and permitted to teach, leaving the parenting to the parents!
You need a harsher administration;
My high-school used to be ranked in the top 5 in North Carolina for fights, most of them resulted in someone being sent directly to a hospital. A couple of years ago our school system hired a man named Mr. Dishmon. Dishmon got his degree in Physical Education so our little bastards thought of him as a push-over.. now the rule is if you have ANYTHING to do with fighting an automatic 7 day suspension, any more violations and you're not going to be going to my school anymore.
This year we've only had 8 fights which has been cut down from the hundreds of fights we've had in a single year about 3 years ago.
Believe me, our school system tried the paddling policy but when the Teachers decided not to because the students would have fought back against the teacher than they had to re-consider.

My best solution for this problem, better administration and no damned "babying" when the kid is little.. that needs to happen.

Misbehavior is a problem best fixed at home. Give the elementary school kids in-school suspension and have it effect their "grade". If they get into too much trouble, then they don't move on to the next grade. And all the time, they have to stay in school. Even if it means being in kindergarden while being 25 yrs. old (ok maybe a little much). All the while, giving the kids counciling to find out what is wrong with them. With no child left behind, we make sure that the kid is up to par acedemically, but we need to make sure that they are able to move on behavior wise.

There also has to be some sort of punishment for the parent. If the parent is not able to raise a respectable kid, then they shouldn't have the child. If there is a huge behavioral problem, then there is a chance that the kid is beaten at home. And I don't mean a soft spanking, I mean REAL abuse. So, what is the teacher spanking them gonna do?

PS: I was spanked as a child, and there is nothing wrong with me. However, that's because it only happened a few times. I guess it was a good deterrent, at least for me.

What does expelling them do? Make them poor? Make them dependable on the democratic party. You sugest this just to get another flippin vote in 08. You guys buy their vote. We actually want to help them. Paddling keeps them in school, gets them an education, and gets them in line.

Paddling is a punishment left to the uncreative and those who only know how to use physical means to straighten people out. Paddling was alright one hundred years ago, not today. Paddling just teaches children violence and hitting is alright and is a big step backwards.

Paddling is a punishment left to the uncreative and those who only know how to use physical means to straighten people out. Paddling was alright one hundred years ago, not today. Paddling just teaches children violence and hitting is alright and is a big step backwards.
That was the argument 25 years ago. Can we say our society is less violent today because we stopped spanking kids in school and in the home? I don't think there was ever any correlation between spankings and increased violence.

then why choose spanking?
When kids knew they might get a swat by the teacher, and another one when Dad found out, they had more respect than they do now. That little five year old brat wouldn't have thought she could get away with disrupting the class, without severe repercussions.

Dude she's a kid and 5 years old at that.

There's a reason why most people can't remember what they did mostly when they were 5 years old.
Yes she did act a bit out of control but the news never did say of her having a an anger problem or anything. You think arresting her would make her think twice before doing it again? All she knows is.. "these people are forcing my hands behind my back.." and "now I'm scared".

She's what around 20 Years away til considered "fully grown"?

Why not blame the parents?
Maybe there's things that went on before the incident that they didn't capture of video tape, which caused the little girl to not listen to these women.

So you're recommending that teachers beat 5 year olds with paddles? Are you insane?

The reason why people didn't act up was because they were afraid, being afraid makes you think twice before being open and if you're not open then you're not going to have fun and that'll damage a child.
Have you tried learning on the terms of being afraid.. and especially for a little kid.. kids don't usually know the difference between "good behavior" and "bad behavior" (especially at the age of 5) and if you constantly beat them they won't respond at all.

Now tell me, besides legal trouble, what would the child have done if the teachers smacked her around with the paddle? I doubt it would have been a calm "oops I'm doing wrong" I believe it'll be an unstoppable crying.

But you have your own opinions, your opinions might be more creditable because your (I'm guessing) a parent.

So you're recommending that teachers beat 5 year olds with paddles? Are you insane?
A bit melodramatic there, aren't ya? No one said "beat with a paddle". That is why people backed off from disciplining their children. Calls to DHS charging someone with beating their kids when they did no such thing. A spank on the behind at 5 gets their attention. What are you going to do? Have a debate with them over the pros and cons of their behavior?

No

Pick them up on put them in time out.. that always worked to cool me down.

What sounds less lethal.. "I nailed your son in the butt with a piece of wood" or "I picked your son up and placed him in time out where he was able to calm down"

The whole DHS thing, are you saying that the Teacher should be able to paddle a child even without consent of the Parent.. whose doing the parenting the teacher or the parent?

Last edited:
Pick them up on put them in time out.. that always worked to cool me down.
You are assuming the little bugger is going to sit quietly. If they don't and the teacher cannot touch them -- as we all saw in the film -- you have a situation probably for the rest of the kids life. The irresponsible parent is going to sue the police department and probably the school. Taxpayers have to pay if they do something early on, or if they don't. Either way, the kid doesn't benefit from lack of discipline.

The parents response is totally wrong.

They should be lucky they even have the choice of public education.. and that their child didn't get beaten like in other foreign countries.

That's just a spoiled American thing..

there is no right answer to paddling.. they both have pros and cons.

Squawker said:
You are assuming the little bugger is going to sit quietly. If they don't and the teacher cannot touch them -- as we all saw in the film -- you have a situation probably for the rest of the kids life. The irresponsible parent is going to sue the police department and probably the school. Taxpayers have to pay if they do something early on, or if they don't. Either way, the kid doesn't benefit from lack of discipline.
Why do you think that paddling is ILLEGAL in 28 States + DC? It was made illegal after being legal. Why do you think that is?

Ever stop to think that violence breeds violence? I've never spanked my children, and now, at 18 & 15 they've not been in a physical fight ever....related, what do you think?

26 X World Champs said:
Why do you think that paddling is ILLEGAL in 28 States + DC? It was made illegal after being legal. Why do you think that is?

Ever stop to think that violence breeds violence? I've never spanked my children, and now, at 18 & 15 they've not been in a physical fight ever....related, what do you think?
On what grounds can you say that your children have never been in a fight BECAUSE you did not spank them? Are you suggesting that those children that are spanked are violent? Do you have any evidence that would support your claim?

I got spanked when I was a kid and I'm one of the least violent people in the world. I see spanking as not a beating punishment unless you spank them for the wrong reasons. My parents always spanked me out of love that I would be a better person. I'm telling you that the punishment system isn't working.

P.S. Making high-school students lunch ladies is quite a funny idea.

Back
Top Bottom