• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Paddling in school?

Paddlin' in School? You better believe that's a paddlin'.
jasper2.gif

McWilliamson said:
Fear should never be used as an incentive to behave.

Of course it should. It has been through all of history, and continues to be an important tool nowadays. Why do I work? Because I am scared of not having enough money to survive. Why do I bust my ass in school? Because I am scared of not reaching my full potential and getting stuck in a shitty job.

RightatNYU said:
Of course it should. It has been through all of history, and continues to be an important tool nowadays. Why do I work? Because I am scared of not having enough money to survive. Why do I bust my ass in school? Because I am scared of not reaching my full potential and getting stuck in a shitty job.

I don't disagree with you. I am afraid of my grades being teh suk, especially in chemistry...but that's a practical fear. Fear of something that shouldn't be in the first place doesn't help as much as learning how to argue or communicate with someone (like your parents) who disagree with your actions.

Note that when I say 'argue' I don't mean 'quarrel'. I mean the exchange of opposing ideas in the hopes that different views will be shared and something will be learned.

RightatNYU said:

With fear comes respect!!!!!!!

It's plain and simple.

If you're writing an essay for English class, and the teacher comes up to you and says, "Excuse me, but I noticed you used a semicolon where you should have used a comma." And swats you upside the head, then says, "Now don't do it again." I'd stand up and knock that teacher's lights out.

If I was standing in the express lane at the local super-market, and the cashier grabbed a divider stick and clocked me one for having one-too-many items, I'd laugh at him while he was fired. The fact is violence is inhumane right down to the core. There never was a good reason to discipline with a spanking.

If a child drags a rotten tomato across the floor on a string (thanks Bill Cosby) and you took a large spoon out of a drawer and smacked the kid on the arm for it, the kid would HATE you. If you gave the kid a wash rag, and made the kid clean it up, the kid might understand why it's wrong to drag a rotten tomato across the floor on a string. The kid might learn a little bit about empathy (what it's like to have to clean up after other people), and might not do it again.

Don't you agree? If you assume that your child is trying to be devilish by committing a misdeed, your children should be taken from you. We all make mistakes. None of us (ought to) put up with being beaten for them. I know I do not.

The problem with our schools today is that the teachers fear the students , the students neither fear nor respect the teachers. It is unfortunate but true that in younger years fear is equal to respect . Most children do not have the maturity to respect for more productive reasons. More and more often our laws tie the hands of our educators. Many here say that you should be able to resolve the issue without violence. In a perfect world that would be true.

Darning hours of operation schools are responsible for the children, give them the lea way they need to discipline and maintain order.

The worst children have aggressive parents who believe their kids can do no wrong. Almost by definition this is true with few exceptions.

Teachers are people who know they are getting bad pay for long hours before they even choose their profession. Do you really think any of them want to paddle for no reason? When was the last time you talked to a teacher? Society and our government still treat them as the bad guy in most situation and they are doing what they do because at some point they care or cared about the future of our children.

Corporal discipline can be administered without breaking spirits.

Too little or too much paddling is bad for society.

The only other way really is to remove those children who will not be productive and find an alternative for them. Like tech school. At the end of middle school give them an aptitude test. High scores go on to high school because they show a willingness to learn. The rest can be sent to tech school to learn a trade then sent to the work force. Would save us millions in school costs and guarantee a better quality of graduates and supply an ample work force for skilled labor.

Corporal punishment is child abuse.

If I were ever threatened to be paddled, I would walk right out of that school. Its insulting and I, and any other self respecting human being, would never allow ourselves to be subjected to it.

Thank goodness I don't attend school anymore....

But I would never let my child attend a school where they used corporal punishment. Parents are berated for spanking their children as a form of punishment, so why should a teacher be allowed to do it? Just doesn't make sense.

Violence is not the way to teach a child discipline. Violence leads to fear and mistrust, and I certainly wouldn't want my child to be afraid of me, or to go to school.

Back
Top Bottom