• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Paddling in school?

Gandhi>Bush

Non-Passive Pascifist
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
2,742
Reaction score
0
Location
Mesquite, Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
when i was younger my parents spanked me maybe about twice. That was all it took.

By the way the lunch lady idea. I think that would work.
 

carolyn-

New member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
a lil red dot, singapore.
A 1994 national survey found that 68% of parents believed that spanking was appropriate, down from 94% in 1968 but still a solid majority.

We have different kids, and different individuals. This has result to different behaviours. Some kids respond to paddling, some just don't. Some might have adverse effect - like turning violent. What if the Columbine High School Shooting happens again where some kid is unhappy the school paddled him?
 

pwo

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
205
Reaction score
1
Location
Illinois
I'm torn in this debate.

I think paddling can be a good thing. But what does it matter, if the kid is getting no attention at home? Parents should spank, if done right. I'm not talking about beating the child, I'm talking about spanking. And there is a difference.

"I got spanked when I was a kid and I'm one of the least violent people in the world." ~satinloveslibs

"when i was younger my parents spanked me maybe about twice. That was all it took." ~Ghandi < Bush

:agree :agree

So, it can't be that damaging. At least not to us.
 

Gandhi>Bush

Non-Passive Pascifist
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
2,742
Reaction score
0
Location
Mesquite, Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I think paddling in school is too far. I think that should be primarily the parents responsibility.

I think the most important thing about spankings is that the child has to understand why it's happening. It has to understand that what he/she did was wrong.

Kolberg's theory of moral development:

Stage 1: Pain avoidance.

That's where it has to start.
 

Squawker

Professor
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
1,314
Reaction score
4
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Kolberg's theory of moral development:

Stage 1: Pain avoidance.
Wouldn't one have to know the pain, before there is fear enough to avoid it? When hitting kids on the hand or bottom was allowed in the schools, it was hardly ever done. Word of mouth put the fear into you. My eighth grade teacher was called the dragon lady. By the time I got there, I didn't dare to cross her. Kids have to learn respect at an early age, either at home or at school.
 

Gandhi>Bush

Non-Passive Pascifist
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
2,742
Reaction score
0
Location
Mesquite, Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I believe it should happen at home. It's not the schools responsibility to raise and discipline a child. It is the parents responsibility. If a parent is completely against spankings, let them raise their kids that way.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I'm sorry, I don't think it's possible to support paddling in public schools. In my school, like every school, there were certain teachers who hated certain kids, and would have undoubtedly taken it out on them. I had a feud with a teacher for a few years, and he told me that if it had been allowed, he would have paddled me. I informed him that if he had tried to paddle me, I would have taken the paddle, and paddled him. And I would have. And I can guarantee you there are many out there who feel the same.

Who gets paddled? Is it only boys? If yes, thats unfair. If not, then would you feel comfortable sending your 18 year old daughter to a class where she gets paddled by her sketchy 55 year old health teacher every day for talking?

The last things we need to be doing in schools nowadays are:

1) Increasing use of and presence of weapons
2) Increasing acrimony between students and teachers
3) Increasing opportunities for favoritism
4) Increasing opportunities for sexual abuse
 

carolyn-

New member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
a lil red dot, singapore.
RightatNYU said:
Who gets paddled? Is it only boys? If yes, thats unfair. If not, then would you feel comfortable sending your 18 year old daughter to a class where she gets paddled by her sketchy 55 year old health teacher every day for talking?

The last things we need to be doing in schools nowadays are:

1) Increasing use of and presence of weapons
2) Increasing acrimony between students and teachers
3) Increasing opportunities for favoritism
4) Increasing opportunities for sexual abuse

:agree

But seriously, paddling does not just happen because of favouritism as your post puts it. Paddling, if legislated, would be done because of serious crimes not just for talking in class.

In my school, people get publicly paddled but that does not deter them from committing their crimes. However, I see the trend that it is always the same few that get publicly paddled, and soon, expelled. The rest of the school are just timidly watching.. and hoping they'll never get into that position. To a certain extent, paddling does work to the majority of the school because it instils fear.
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
sebastiansdreams said:
On what grounds can you say that your children have never been in a fight BECAUSE you did not spank them? Are you suggesting that those children that are spanked are violent? Do you have any evidence that would support your claim?
I'm talking about my kids, not the world....Yikes! You want to beat your kids, go right ahead. So you're against abortion but pro-beating?
 

Mixed View

Active member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
343
Reaction score
1
Location
MO
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
26 X World Champs said:
I'm talking about my kids, not the world....Yikes! You want to beat your kids, go right ahead. So you're against abortion but pro-beating?

Your against the death penalty and properly disaplining a kid. Are you just the perfect person. if the world ran under you then we'd have criminals everywhere and tones of freakin disrespectful children. Sounds thrilling eh?
 

Contrarian

Active member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
335
Reaction score
5
Location
The Constitution State - Connecticut
Teachers shouldn't have the burden of dealing with our kids... on the other side, if a teacher hit my kid, she / he would either end up in jail or suffer a beating at my hand.... When the hell did it become the responsiblity of the schools to teach respect and discipline? Where are the parents? The simple fact should be that the teachers should notify the parents that the kid is a little piece of crap and that if they don't get him / her under control the kid can't return to school. If they don't complete school, they grow up to be low lives in trailer parks with no future.

Darwin was right. Survival of the fittest. The rule of 80 /20 is absolute. 80% of the population is as stupid as a rock, and those who don't want to learn only bear that out... let them mop floors and mow lawns for a living.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
carolyn- said:
:agree

But seriously, paddling does not just happen because of favouritism as your post puts it. Paddling, if legislated, would be done because of serious crimes not just for talking in class.

In my school, people get publicly paddled but that does not deter them from committing their crimes. However, I see the trend that it is always the same few that get publicly paddled, and soon, expelled. The rest of the school are just timidly watching.. and hoping they'll never get into that position. To a certain extent, paddling does work to the majority of the school because it instils fear.

Why is it the job of the school to instill fear?

How about instead of that, they teach respect, a value that is far more important. I never misbehaved in the classes of the teachers I respected, and if the teachers who I didn't respect had had the right to hit me, that sure as hell wouldn't have made me fear them. It would have made me pity them.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Contrarian said:
Teachers shouldn't have the burden of dealing with our kids... on the other side, if a teacher hit my kid, she / he would either end up in jail or suffer a beating at my hand.... When the hell did it become the responsiblity of the schools to teach respect and discipline? Where are the parents? The simple fact should be that the teachers should notify the parents that the kid is a little piece of crap and that if they don't get him / her under control the kid can't return to school. If they don't complete school, they grow up to be low lives in trailer parks with no future.

Darwin was right. Survival of the fittest. The rule of 80 /20 is absolute. 80% of the population is as stupid as a rock, and those who don't want to learn only bear that out... let them mop floors and mow lawns for a living.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, politically incorrect statements and all.
 
S

sebastiansdreams

Contrarian said:
Teachers shouldn't have the burden of dealing with our kids... on the other side, if a teacher hit my kid, she / he would either end up in jail or suffer a beating at my hand.... When the hell did it become the responsiblity of the schools to teach respect and discipline? Where are the parents? The simple fact should be that the teachers should notify the parents that the kid is a little piece of crap and that if they don't get him / her under control the kid can't return to school. If they don't complete school, they grow up to be low lives in trailer parks with no future.

Darwin was right. Survival of the fittest. The rule of 80 /20 is absolute. 80% of the population is as stupid as a rock, and those who don't want to learn only bear that out... let them mop floors and mow lawns for a living.
Ha, it is very apparent you have never worked for government schools. Unfortunately many parents haven't the first clue nor inclination towards discipline. And since every child must, by law, go to school, the teachers are dumped on. They get payed next to nothing, are given little respect, and now are expected to be able to teach these children but are prevented from any logical means of punishment for fear they might get put in jail or beat up as you so elegantly put it. It should be the parents' responsibilites. But how can you make a teacher who is forced to teach these children teach a parent how to discipline their child if they do not want to learn?
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
satinloveslibs said:
Your against the death penalty and properly disaplining a kid. Are you just the perfect person. if the world ran under you then we'd have criminals everywhere and tones of freakin disrespectful children. Sounds thrilling eh?
I'm a parent, are you? Show me how the Death Penalty prevents crime? Instead of blustering how about debating? Show me why over the last 30 or so years 28 States have banned paddling and how that is wrong?

Death Penalty? How many "criminals" are subjected to the Death Penalty every year, not just convicted, but tried? What percentage is that compared to all other criminal trials? Then take that number and show me how having the Death Penalty reduces violent crime, no less overall crime?

Your post implies that the Death Penalty and Paddling have positive effects, real measurable statistical effects. I say you're completely wrong and ask that you back up your bluster with proof.
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
RightatNYU said:
Why is it the job of the school to instill fear?

How about instead of that, they teach respect, a value that is far more important. I never misbehaved in the classes of the teachers I respected, and if the teachers who I didn't respect had had the right to hit me, that sure as hell wouldn't have made me fear them. It would have made me pity them.
Very, very well written! I agree 100%!

:rock
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
sebastiansdreams said:
Ha, it is very apparent you have never worked for government schools. Unfortunately many parents haven't the first clue nor inclination towards discipline. And since every child must, by law, go to school, the teachers are dumped on. They get payed next to nothing, are given little respect, and now are expected to be able to teach these children but are prevented from any logical means of punishment for fear they might get put in jail or beat up as you so elegantly put it. It should be the parents' responsibilites. But how can you make a teacher who is forced to teach these children teach a parent how to discipline their child if they do not want to learn?
So you're saying that teachers should be allowed to paddle their students but they should not be allowed to distribute birth control to them?

That is a very interesting point of view. Hit 'em to teach them a lesson, but do not allow them to fully educate them on how to take care of their bodies and do not provide teachers with the means to do so?

:screwy
 

carolyn-

New member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
a lil red dot, singapore.
RightatNYU said:
Why is it the job of the school to instill fear?

How about instead of that, they teach respect, a value that is far more important. I never misbehaved in the classes of the teachers I respected, and if the teachers who I didn't respect had had the right to hit me, that sure as hell wouldn't have made me fear them. It would have made me pity them.

But the teachers you respected are USUALLY those that are fearsome. The classes that you usually do not misbehave are those that had stern teachers in it, seldom of those teachers that let the class climb over their head. :doh
 

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,466
Reaction score
2,083
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Why are some of you talking like the teachers are installed into the system?

They aren't forced to teach and if they can't handle the disrespectful kids of these days, then find a new job with the knowledge you've gain through teaching..
 

carolyn-

New member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
a lil red dot, singapore.
Arch Enemy said:
Why are some of you talking like the teachers are installed into the system?

They aren't forced to teach and if they can't handle the disrespectful kids of these days, then find a new job with the knowledge you've gain through teaching..

Somehow they're not installed into the system, they fit in with it.

A disrespectful kid shows that the teacher hasn't been doing his/her job. Teaching has now been more than just aiming for academics excellence, nowadays, teachers rather develop someone to be an all-rounded kid. nowadays, teachers are the "parents" of the kids in school. At least in Singapore, that's the case. There's also the reason that follows, - why we take "Civics And Moral Education" in schools...
 

Contrarian

Active member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
335
Reaction score
5
Location
The Constitution State - Connecticut
sebastiansdreams said:
Ha, it is very apparent you have never worked for government schools. Unfortunately many parents haven't the first clue nor inclination towards discipline. And since every child must, by law, go to school, the teachers are dumped on. They get payed next to nothing, are given little respect, and now are expected to be able to teach these children but are prevented from any logical means of punishment for fear they might get put in jail or beat up as you so elegantly put it. It should be the parents' responsibilites. But how can you make a teacher who is forced to teach these children teach a parent how to discipline their child if they do not want to learn?

Again you show how small a thinker you are. I didn't say anything more than remove the misfits from the schools where those who have a desire to learn attend. Pull their stupid a*ses out and put them in Boot Camp style schools where they are treated differently. You don't have to beat someone to get their attention. "Reform School" is still school, but with aggressive teachers.

And lets not get back to that arguement about teachers getting paid close to nothing because we've been through it a few times and the arguement doesn't hold water.
 

Contrarian

Active member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
335
Reaction score
5
Location
The Constitution State - Connecticut
carolyn- said:
But the teachers you respected are USUALLY those that are fearsome. The classes that you usually do not misbehave are those that had stern teachers in it, seldom of those teachers that let the class climb over their head. :doh

Everyone needs to remember that Singapore still conducts flogging and caning of people for misdemenours. Thow trash on the ground in Singapore and you will find your butt on the wrong end of a Bamboo stick being wielded by a public official.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
carolyn- said:
But the teachers you respected are USUALLY those that are fearsome. The classes that you usually do not misbehave are those that had stern teachers in it, seldom of those teachers that let the class climb over their head. :doh

Actually, not at all. Being fearsome does not inspire respect. The teachers I respected were those who respected me. They were no more or less firm than any of the other teachers, but their classes were always better organized and more productive.
 

pwo

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
205
Reaction score
1
Location
Illinois
Everyone keeps on saying that it is the parents responsibility to spank the child, not the teachers. "If they want to paddle the kids then let em" (or something like that). However, if the parents don't disipline their childern then the teachers have to deal with them. That isn't fair to the teachers.

28/50 states dont allow paddling. Hmmm.... I didn't know that 56% was a clear concensus.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
pwo said:
Everyone keeps on saying that it is the parents responsibility to spank the child, not the teachers. "If they want to paddle the kids then let em" (or something like that). However, if the parents don't disipline their childern then the teachers have to deal with them. That isn't fair to the teachers.

28/50 states dont allow paddling. Hmmm.... I didn't know that 56% was a clear concensus.

28/50 states specifically BAN paddling.

How many states actually practice paddling, and in those states, how many schools?

I would bet you that the vast majority (90%+) of public schools do not allow paddling.
 
Top Bottom