• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pabst says MillerCoors is trying to put it out of business

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From Associated Press

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Pabst Brewing Company and MillerCoors are going to trial, with hipster favorite Pabst contending that MillerCoors wants to put it out of business by ending a longstanding partnership through which it brews Pabst’s beers.

The case has high stakes for Pabst, whose lawyers argue that the company’s very existence relies on the partnership with Chicago-based MillerCoors, which produces, packages and ships nearly all its products, which include Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh and Lone Star. MillerCoors, meanwhile, says it’s not obligated to continue brewing for Pabst and that Pabst doesn’t want to pay enough to justify doing so.

The trial in Milwaukee County Circuit Court begins Monday and is scheduled through Nov. 30.

Pabst’s attorneys have said in court documents and hearings that MillerCoors LLC is lying about its brewing capacity to break away from Pabst and capture its share of the cheap beer market by disrupting Pabst’s ability to compete. At a March hearing in which MillerCoors tried to have the lawsuit dismissed, Pabst attorney Adam Paris said “stunning documents” obtained from MillerCoors show that it went as far as hiring a consultant to “figure out ways to get rid of us.” MillerCoors has called that a mischaracterization of the consultant’s work.

COMMENT:-

Enough with all of this trivial "Trump this" and "Trump that" crap - this is REALLY important political news and the MSM is almost totally ignoring it!

PS - Anyone who even begins to think that the relationship between "Pabst" and "MillerCoors" is even remotely similar to the relationship between "The Republicans" and "The Democrats" will be severely chastised. I mean the labels on the bottles of beer that "Pabst" sells and the labels on the bottles of beer that "MillerCoors" sell are COMPLETELY different and you can tell which one of them is better just by looking at the label so does it actually matter that they put exactly the same ingredients in the same vats to brew them?

Okay....So what if they are? Such is the way of capitalism and competition.

There is only one beer:

Having a competitor make your product, what could go wrong?

From Associated Press

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Pabst Brewing Company and MillerCoors are going to trial, with hipster favorite Pabst contending that MillerCoors wants to put it out of business by ending a longstanding partnership through which it brews Pabst’s beers.

The case has high stakes for Pabst, whose lawyers argue that the company’s very existence relies on the partnership with Chicago-based MillerCoors, which produces, packages and ships nearly all its products, which include Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh and Lone Star. MillerCoors, meanwhile, says it’s not obligated to continue brewing for Pabst and that Pabst doesn’t want to pay enough to justify doing so.

The trial in Milwaukee County Circuit Court begins Monday and is scheduled through Nov. 30.

Pabst’s attorneys have said in court documents and hearings that MillerCoors LLC is lying about its brewing capacity to break away from Pabst and capture its share of the cheap beer market by disrupting Pabst’s ability to compete. At a March hearing in which MillerCoors tried to have the lawsuit dismissed, Pabst attorney Adam Paris said “stunning documents” obtained from MillerCoors show that it went as far as hiring a consultant to “figure out ways to get rid of us.” MillerCoors has called that a mischaracterization of the consultant’s work.

Enough with all of this trivial "Trump this" and "Trump that" crap - this is REALLY important political news and the MSM is almost totally ignoring it!

PS - Anyone who even begins to think that the relationship between "Pabst" and "MillerCoors" is even remotely similar to the relationship between "The Republicans" and "The Democrats" will be severely chastised. I mean the labels on the bottles of beer that "Pabst" sells and the labels on the bottles of beer that "MillerCoors" sell are COMPLETELY different and you can tell which one of them is better just by looking at the label so does it actually matter that they put exactly the same ingredients in the same vats to brew them?

I don't understand this business relationship. If MillerCoors "produces, packages and ships" Pabst products then what is it that Pabst does? Why do they even exist?

It's not MillerCoors fault.
It's Trump's fault. Everything is his fault, darn it!!

More likely Obama's fault since Trump doesn't drink.

We need another beer summit! :cheers:

From Associated Press

For whatever reason in the past, Pabst gave up its means of production and sourced it out. Typically it's an OK relationship, as Pabst has had historically with Miller-Coors or whatever corporations it was before the various mergers and splits. Miller-Coors could pick up contracts and run their lines to fuller capacity, making money and improving efficiency of their established factories. But I think Miller-Coors is correct, they are not under obligation to brew it if the contract runs out; they don't have to renew it. It's a gamble when you give up the means of production for your brand. So if Miller-Coors does decide to stop making it, and I would imagine a judge would agree that unless they are under contract to do so that they are under no obligation to do so, then Pabst will have to find another factory willing to produce, package, and ship their products.

BTW, in terms of American Piss Beer, I do like PBR, though Colorado loyalty means that when I do drink American Piss Beer, I usually drink Coors Banquet.

I don't understand this business relationship. If MillerCoors "produces, packages and ships" Pabst products then what is it that Pabst does? Why do they even exist?

It's brand still sells, but it's a small part of the market. For a smaller brand it may be easier for them to contract brew their beer. Meaning they contract out the production of their brand to breweries that have capacity. They save on costs of factory and workers. The Contract Brewery makes money on the contract and also can run their lines at a fuller capacity. A dead line is just lost money, so if they can get a contract to brew some other company's brand (one that usually doesn't conflict heavily with their own consumer base), it makes sense to pick it up because they can run more of their lines more often.

It's rather common in brewing (among other industries, most large corporations have Contract Manufacturers, usually overseas, to produce their goods) and can even be seen at the craft/microbrewery level.

Second movie I ever saw on VHS.

I have it on DVD also and its so old that Micheal J fox was just listed as mike fox in the credits
lol

From Associated Press

In all honesty, Pabst has fared better than most brewer originators and is just screaming into the wind at this point. Miller has no obligation to continue producing their product (past contract) and is taking a page from Samuel Adams and other big name brewers in wanting to kill competitors.

Don't get me wrong I started out with craft brewing by drinking Samuel Adams (and they are truly innovators) but they and big named brewers saw the craft brewing signs on the wall and have bought out and killed little brewers as time went on and Pabst is no different.

This is truly corporate America at work and damned the little people at all costs. However, it's legal.

From Associated Press

not familiar if theres any contract law that would be involved here but it seems to me when the contract ends miller is 100% free not to renew it just like Pabst could choose not to renew it too :shrug:

For whatever reason in the past, Pabst gave up its means of production and sourced it out. Typically it's an OK relationship, as Pabst has had historically with Miller-Coors or whatever corporations it was before the various mergers and splits. Miller-Coors could pick up contracts and run their lines to fuller capacity, making money and improving efficiency of their established factories. But I think Miller-Coors is correct, they are not under obligation to brew it if the contract runs out; they don't have to renew it. It's a gamble when you give up the means of production for your brand. So if Miller-Coors does decide to stop making it, and I would imagine a judge would agree that unless they are under contract to do so that they are under no obligation to do so, then Pabst will have to find another factory willing to produce, package, and ship their products.

BTW, in terms of American Piss Beer, I do like PBR, though Colorado loyalty means that when I do drink American Piss Beer, I usually drink Coors Banquet.

When I was in the Army, our unit had joint exercises with a parent unit @ Ft. Bliss every year. My roommate went one year and requisitioned a 1/4 ton trailer for the trip. He returned with a trailer full of Coors beer; in the early 1970’s, Coors was not sold in the east. We stacked cases to the ceiling and drank them at room temperature. I had a Banquet many years back and it was terrible!

More likely Obama's fault since Trump doesn't drink.

We need another beer summit! :cheers:
Good thing he doesn't, who knows what he'd tweet if he did?

When I was in the Army, our unit had joint exercises with a parent unit @ Ft. Bliss every year. My roommate went one year and requisitioned a 1/4 ton trailer for the trip. He returned with a trailer full of Coors beer; in the early 1970’s, Coors was not sold in the east. We stacked cases to the ceiling and drank them at room temperature. I had a Banquet many years back and it was terrible!

I mean, it's American Piss Beer, it's not particularly good in general. But if you're drinking them at room temperature than you won't enjoy it. In college, we used to drink The Beast (Milwaukee's Best). Ice cold, it's almost palatable; room temperature, it's gag inducing.

From Associated Press

Maybe they will all go out of business.

Those are all enema water, not actual beers.

Miller and Coors are still out there?:lamo

I don't understand. How does one "brew" water with a hint of piss flavoring?

From Associated Press

Note that Pabst isn’t a brewery anymore.

It’s a brand owned by a marketing company that uses MillerCoors to brew and can PBR.

And yeah... PBR is stealing market share.

LOLz. That one gets a like. I remember it playing back when I was in high school. (Or was that Jr. High? Hmm).

Thank you for making me feel old...

No, it was Obama for sure. Never mind it is in fact capitalism at its core.

Miller would love to put Pabst, Bud, Corona, and every other damn brewer out of business too if [it] could.

Back
Top Bottom