• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pabst says MillerCoors is trying to put it out of business

Thank you for making me feel old...

LOLz. Well, an unintended side effect, I guess.

I'm already over it, I know I'm old, but I don't feel it, at least not yet. Still a kid at heart, somehow.

I have it on DVD also and its so old that Micheal J fox was just listed as mike fox in the credits
lol

I've got it too! Gotten all 5 of my kids to love it. Its actually his first movie, if memory serves me correctly.

Mergers and consolidation have pretty much robbed the American public of any real voice in the market place, hence why the rights arguments about the "free market" are hollow, especially when they refuse to realize that their administrations routinely ignore anti-trust laws.

Mergers and consolidation have pretty much robbed the American public of any real voice in the market place, hence why the rights arguments about the "free market" are hollow, especially when they refuse to realize that their administrations routinely ignore anti-trust laws.
Indeed. Is anyone here even aware that Inbev and MillerCoors merged? They’re now the largest brewery in the world.

I think this case should go to the Supreme Court and have Bret Kavanaugh rule directly on it.

I don't see the legal issue here. I one part to an agreement wants to terminate the agreement within the terms of the contract, so what? Pabst is free to find another brewer to brew for them or build their own capacity.

As an aside, I wouldn't care if both companies went belly up. I'm a scotch drinker.

Maybe if their beer wasn't so terrible they wouldn't need to worry about going out of business

From Associated Press

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Pabst Brewing Company and MillerCoors are going to trial, with hipster favorite Pabst contending that MillerCoors wants to put it out of business by ending a longstanding partnership through which it brews Pabst’s beers.

The case has high stakes for Pabst, whose lawyers argue that the company’s very existence relies on the partnership with Chicago-based MillerCoors, which produces, packages and ships nearly all its products, which include Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh and Lone Star. MillerCoors, meanwhile, says it’s not obligated to continue brewing for Pabst and that Pabst doesn’t want to pay enough to justify doing so.

The trial in Milwaukee County Circuit Court begins Monday and is scheduled through Nov. 30.

Pabst’s attorneys have said in court documents and hearings that MillerCoors LLC is lying about its brewing capacity to break away from Pabst and capture its share of the cheap beer market by disrupting Pabst’s ability to compete. At a March hearing in which MillerCoors tried to have the lawsuit dismissed, Pabst attorney Adam Paris said “stunning documents” obtained from MillerCoors show that it went as far as hiring a consultant to “figure out ways to get rid of us.” MillerCoors has called that a mischaracterization of the consultant’s work.

COMMENT:-

Enough with all of this trivial "Trump this" and "Trump that" crap - this is REALLY important political news and the MSM is almost totally ignoring it!

PS - Anyone who even begins to think that the relationship between "Pabst" and "MillerCoors" is even remotely similar to the relationship between "The Republicans" and "The Democrats" will be severely chastised. I mean the labels on the bottles of beer that "Pabst" sells and the labels on the bottles of beer that "MillerCoors" sell are COMPLETELY different and you can tell which one of them is better just by looking at the label so does it actually matter that they put exactly the same ingredients in the same vats to brew them?

Ugh...cheap beer.

Too many bad memories.

From Associated Press

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Pabst Brewing Company and MillerCoors are going to trial, with hipster favorite Pabst contending that MillerCoors wants to put it out of business by ending a longstanding partnership through which it brews Pabst’s beers.

The case has high stakes for Pabst, whose lawyers argue that the company’s very existence relies on the partnership with Chicago-based MillerCoors, which produces, packages and ships nearly all its products, which include Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh and Lone Star. MillerCoors, meanwhile, says it’s not obligated to continue brewing for Pabst and that Pabst doesn’t want to pay enough to justify doing so.

The trial in Milwaukee County Circuit Court begins Monday and is scheduled through Nov. 30.

Pabst’s attorneys have said in court documents and hearings that MillerCoors LLC is lying about its brewing capacity to break away from Pabst and capture its share of the cheap beer market by disrupting Pabst’s ability to compete. At a March hearing in which MillerCoors tried to have the lawsuit dismissed, Pabst attorney Adam Paris said “stunning documents” obtained from MillerCoors show that it went as far as hiring a consultant to “figure out ways to get rid of us.” MillerCoors has called that a mischaracterization of the consultant’s work.

Enough with all of this trivial "Trump this" and "Trump that" crap - this is REALLY important political news and the MSM is almost totally ignoring it!

PS - Anyone who even begins to think that the relationship between "Pabst" and "MillerCoors" is even remotely similar to the relationship between "The Republicans" and "The Democrats" will be severely chastised. I mean the labels on the bottles of beer that "Pabst" sells and the labels on the bottles of beer that "MillerCoors" sell are COMPLETELY different and you can tell which one of them is better just by looking at the label so does it actually matter that they put exactly the same ingredients in the same vats to brew them?

Is PBR really a hipster beer? Did not know that.

I don't understand this business relationship. If MillerCoors "produces, packages and ships" Pabst products then what is it that Pabst does? Why do they even exist?

Toll manufacturing is very common in that industry.

I have worked for toll blenders, manufacturers of agricultural products for 17 years. The toller in this case MillerCoors, makes Pabst's beers according to Pabst's recipe, gets paid for it. Pabst handles the sales and distribution. Both companies save money. Coors through higher utilization rates of its plants, Pabst, in that they do not have capital costs.

I expect the recipes and overall taste is somewhat different, some lower quality beers will use alcohol from derived from sugar (ie from sugar cane or HFC syrup) as a means to save money

In the ag industry a good 25% of it is done in the same manner. Dow/Dupont, Bayer, BASF, and Syngenta all have some tolling operations in which they toll out the manufacture and or packaging of some of their production.

Indeed. Is anyone here even aware that Inbev and MillerCoors merged? They’re now the largest brewery in the world.

The sickening part is the claim by generally conservatives - speak with your wallet. It's almost as if they blatantly ignore or are ignorant of the facts when it comes to mergers and acquisition.

From Associated Press

Interesting, as I negotiated an export deal with a regional Bavarian brewery years ago. It’s a complex business due to US regs.

That particular brewery farmed out its bottling to a local competitor. As the brewmaster running the place said... we’re a brewery, not a bottling operation. My thought was, what if they turn around in the future and claim they’re at capacity?

This isn’t good for Pabst on many levels.

1) It revealed itself to be a “virtual brewery”. I know of a name brand which started like that, and created its own brewing facility once the profits poured in. It was a master marketing scheme on their part. Nobody knew they were virtual, and their name had the stink of history. It was well played on their part.

2) You never want to be dependent on one supplier, or one customer. If they swerve, you’re ****ed. In my eyes... Pabst is ****ed... for revealing they’re actually an unofficial MillerCoors branch, and because they were dumb enough to let one supplier **** them over.

Last edited:
Okay....So what if they are? Such is the way of capitalism and competition.

Hey, this isn't about airy-fairy stuff like world peace, refugees, starvation, or nuclear weapons, this is about something that is REALLY important

immitation
BEER

More likely Obama's fault since Trump doesn't drink.

We need another beer summit! :cheers:

Colour them black and it's tough to tell the difference between some of the products of "Pabst" and "MillerCoors" from "Diet Coke".

For those who "knew" that (and also those who now "know" it) "Inbec" didn't "merge" with "MillerCoors", "MillerCoors" actually "merged" with "Molsons". It was Anhauser-Busch that "merged" with "Inbev" and saying that they were "merged" is simply a face saving way of saying that "Inbev" now owns "Anhauser-Busch".

Foreign-Owned Beer in American Clothing: What You're Drinking This July 4th

So "Buy American" those foreign owners really like the money.

I don't understand this business relationship. If MillerCoors "produces, packages and ships" Pabst products then what is it that Pabst does? Why do they even exist?

Marketing. Very common in the beer/alcohol business. Buy a few barrels of bourbon from Jim Beam or MGP, slap a fancy label by a company that sounds local and call it "small batch bourbon" and you just turned 15-20 dollar bottle of booze in to a 30 to 70 dollar bottle of booze.

Why do you think Trump is paid (or was paid) to put his name on buildings that he didn't build, didn't pay for, and doesn't own?

Last edited:
Hey, this isn't about airy-fairy stuff like world peace, refugees, starvation, or nuclear weapons, this is about something that is REALLY important

immitation
BEER

LOL....Oh, I see.

If the matter makes it to the SCOTUS, will Kavanaugh have to recuse himself. He's been unequivocal about liking beer.

It's brand still sells, but it's a small part of the market. For a smaller brand it may be easier for them to contract brew their beer. Meaning they contract out the production of their brand to breweries that have capacity. They save on costs of factory and workers. The Contract Brewery makes money on the contract and also can run their lines at a fuller capacity. A dead line is just lost money, so if they can get a contract to brew some other company's brand (one that usually doesn't conflict heavily with their own consumer base), it makes sense to pick it up because they can run more of their lines more often.

It's rather common in brewing (among other industries, most large corporations have Contract Manufacturers, usually overseas, to produce their goods) and can even be seen at the craft/microbrewery level.

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose in this time of Apple/Foxconn and so on I should not be surprised. But a beer company that does not brew its own beer is to me sort of like the Cowboys contracting with the Patriots to play their football games for them.

Marketing. Very common in the beer/alcohol business. Buy a few barrels of bourbon from Jim Beam or MGP, slap a fancy label by a company that sounds local and call it "small batch bourbon" and you just turned 15-20 dollar bottle of booze in to a 30 to 70 dollar bottle of booze.

Why do you think Trump is paid (or was paid) to put his name on buildings that he didn't build, didn't pay for, and doesn't own?

Fraudulent labeling of bourbon is highly illegal. The composition, distillation, and aging of it is defined by law.

Brewing and distillation are sacred arts. I'm shocked, shocked to learn of this apostasy.

RE: Thread title

Isn't that what ALL companies are trying to do to their competitors?

That is much like Sears and their Craftsman 'brand' - which is simply a label placed on a product made by someone else allegedly to their specs. I have lost track of how many 'brands' of lawn maintenance products that MTD makes but the purpose is generally to allow several big box stores to each sell a (pracitically) identical product at a different price which each store claiming to have (offer?) the guaranteed lowest price on that (their?) product.

Fraudulent labeling of bourbon is highly illegal. The composition, distillation, and aging of it is defined by law.

Brewing and distillation are sacred arts. I'm shocked, shocked to learn of this apostasy.
Its not fraudulent. If jim beam makes an 8 year old bourbon and i buy 30 barrels and sell it as a small batch fancy bourbon theres nothing illegal about it. I think they are required to put where it was distilled which is why many bourbons were distilled in some city in indiana. Some large distillery called mgp makes them and sells them by the barrell. Not to crap on mgp. Some really good stuff comes out of there unless someone asks for the cheapest stuff possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom