• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Overly progressive policing and prosecution simply doesn't work

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My wife and I live in the Kansas City area, but right now we are up in Seattle for a short getaway. Seattle is a beautiful city in a beautiful setting, but one thing we have noticed while we are here that:

1. The city smells like shit, literally because the homeless defecate anywhere and everywhere.

2. There are areas of town where all the windows are boarded up at street level because they cannot keep people from busting the windows out. These are open businesses with boarded up windows.

3. Every store, literally every store, no matter how big or small, has a security guard. We asked some store owners why this is the case, and were told that because the local prosecutors will not prosecute shoplifting or vandalism, they have to pay security to keep people from just openly stealing from them or vandalizing their business.

This is in a city that is not a dangerous city. Seattle has a fraction of the homicide rate of our hometown, Kansas City. Yet, despite that, overly "woke", progressive ideas about law enforcement and prosecutions in Seattle have created what you could fairly describe as an almost dystopian society.

The elections this fall will likely be the biggest loss for Democrats at all levels of government in anyone's lifetime. You look at all the polling, the candidate recruitment and so on, and it will likely be a bloodbath for Democrats, and it's the far left and this overly woke stuff that will be to blame for it.

I don't recall it smelling any more or less like shit than any other city, American or otherwise. I suppose the visit was several years ago now, but...

🤷

I don't recall it smelling any more or less like shit than any other city, American or otherwise. I suppose the visit was several years ago now, but...

🤷
That is the least of it if you read the rest of the post.

My wife and I live in the Kansas City area, but right now we are up in Seattle for a short getaway. Seattle is a beautiful city in a beautiful setting, but one thing we have noticed while we are here that:

1. The city smells like shit, literally because the homeless defecate anywhere and everywhere.

2. There are areas of town where all the windows are boarded up at street level because they cannot keep people from busting the windows out. These are open businesses with boarded up windows.

3. Every store, literally every store, no matter how big or small, has a security guard. We asked some store owners why this is the case, and were told that because the local prosecutors will not prosecute shoplifting or vandalism, they have to pay security to keep people from just openly stealing from them or vandalizing their business.

This is in a city that is not a dangerous city. Seattle has a fraction of the homicide rate of our hometown, Kansas City. Yet, despite that, overly "woke", progressive ideas about law enforcement and prosecutions in Seattle have created what you could fairly describe as an almost dystopian society.

The elections this fall will likely be the biggest loss for Democrats at all levels of government in anyone's lifetime. You look at all the polling, the candidate recruitment and so on, and it will likely be a bloodbath for Democrats, and it's the far left and this overly woke stuff that will be to blame for it.
Because policing and incarceration was working fine as it was?

Because policing and incarceration was working fine as it was?
Is the choice always between 2 extremes? Are you saying we cannot have reforming of policing and not have law and order as well? I think we all recognize that people need rules in regards to public health, but for some reason a lot of people on the "woke" left don't get that we need rules in regards to vandalism, theft, littering and so on as well.

The contempt that righties have for a few select blue cities in blue states is pathological. They don't care about the violence in Kansas City, or St. Louis, or Memphis, or Birmingham, or other cities in red states, because that doesn't fit their narrative. And when they do claim to care, they almost always blame nonwhite people and ignore the fact that poverty creates crime.

Why are Democrats so good at eating their own?

Never been to Seattle, but from the highly partisan tenor of your OP I am guessing that your assessment of Seattle is pretty biased.

Is the choice always between 2 extremes? Are you saying we cannot have reforming of policing and not have law and order as well? I think we all recognize that people need rules in regards to public health, but for some reason a lot of people on the "woke" left don't get that we need rules in regards to vandalism, theft, littering and so on as well.
I never said that. I said the old way wasn't working. When new things are tried, it often takes more than one effort to make it work.
1650557851868.png

Never been to Seattle, but from the highly partisan tenor of your OP I am guessing that your assessment of Seattle is pretty biased.
I am a lifelong liberal and Democrat.

The contempt that righties have for a few select blue cities in blue states is pathological. They don't care about the violence in Kansas City, or St. Louis, or Memphis, or Birmingham, or other cities in red states, because that doesn't fit their narrative. And when they do claim to care, they almost always blame nonwhite people and ignore the fact that poverty creates crime.

I think it’s worth pointing out that St. Louis is one of the most liberal cities in America and KC is a liberal city as well. Virtually all major cities are pretty liberal.

I think it’s worth pointing out that St. Louis is one of the most liberal cities in America and KC is a liberal city as well. Virtually all major cities are pretty liberal.

Blue islands in a deep red sea.

Blue islands in a deep red sea.
I agree, but my point in all of this is that just because many of the criticisms of progressive policies on law enforcement are coming from the right, doesn’t mean they are all wrong.

I agree, but my point in all of this is that just because many of the criticisms of progressive policies on law enforcement are coming from the right, doesn’t mean they are all wrong.

It shouldn't be our burden to sift through and find the rare thing on which righties are actually right.

The better question is why do big blue (and often quite wealthy) cities constantly look for outside help to fight their poverty, drug and crime problems?

The better question is why do big blue (and often quite wealthy) cities constantly look for outside help to fight their poverty, drug and crime problems?

You mean like how red states tend to be the leeches of federal funds?

It shouldn't be our burden to sift through and find the rare thing on which righties are actually right.

Whose burden should problems with poverty, drugs and crime in big blue (and often wealthy) cities be?

Whose burden should problems with poverty, drugs and crime in big blue (and often wealthy) cities be?

I'm sure these problems never exist out in the country. That opioid crisis we've all heard about? Totally fake. /s

I'm sure these problems never exist out in the country. That opioid crisis we've all heard about? Totally fake. /s

OK, but if such problems can’t be fixed in the big blue cities under demorat control then why expect mere rural bumpkins to be able to do so? ;)

Deflection noted and dismissed.

Oh, I get it. I'm supposed to answer your questions, but you're not supposed to answer mine. :LOL:

OK, but if such problems can’t be fixed in the big blue cities under demorat control then why expect mere rural bumpkins to be able to do so?

Ah yes, the "Demorat" slur. So original. :rolleyes:

Nope, but doing less of either is not producing an improvement.
Perhaps because the established order is working hard to not allow it to work?

Imo, crime and incarceration have far more to do with economic issues than personal behavior.

Perhaps because the established order is working hard to not allow it to work?

Imo, crime and incarceration have far more to do with economic issues than personal behavior.

Who controls the “established order” in those big blue cities? I agree that “economic issues” are contributing factors, yet why can’t they be addressed at the city government level?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom